Corona Virus

Paul

32 minutes ago, marshman said:

So how many people are flying into Heathrow every day? If you are showing symptoms you probably broke the laws in the departing country and the regulations of the airline and you probably at least had your temperature taken  when departing by either the airport or the airline itself.  When you get here, you could indeed have it, but are not showing symptoms -  when and if if you subsequently do, you self isolate just as we do?? Is it really any more risky than being out and about here?: Surely the whole plane is unlikely to be infected, according to the best science, so in reality it really makes not a lot of difference releasing the potential into the wider community where there is already a widespread likelihood of being in contact with someone who has it the moment you walk out the airport door?

Of course we are likely to have a second or third wave, but we cannot shut everything for ever can we? We have to adapt to it and cope , like it or not. Be alarmed or not by the figures but you have to accept some time or other the way we deal with it has to alter? Humans are good at adapting to change and we must find a way not to be locked down for a couple of years or so or the consequences will be far worse for many other reasons I suspect.

I am sure many will disagree with me, but thats nothing new !!!

Around 15,000 ! And there are NO checks for these arrivals

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8238583/Hundreds-arrive-Heathrow-virus-hotspots-theyre-not-stopped-Covid-19-screening.html

3 hours ago, vanessan said:

If anyone is interested, there is an interesting article on the BBC website under the ‘Coronavirus explained’ section and ‘Coronavirus: Where are cases still rising?’  In that section there is a moving graph showing how confirmed cases spread across the globe day by day. It is quite frightening to watch the UK climb that chart. Elsewhere I have read that passengers flying in to Heathrow still have no checks carried out on them and it is still not clear if/when this 14 day quarantine rule will come in. Things are on the up in this country but I fear we are likely to see a second wave of the virus if we don’t take it more carefully. 

There is a catch 22 to that graph though. It is showing confirmed cases, which means a test will have been carried out. It is no surprise that as our testing capacity increased there were more confirmed cases. Comparing one country to another is like comparing apples to pears unless they are doing the same number of tests. A country completing little or no testing won't climb that graph but it is a false sense of security.

• Like 1

Covid 19 incubates for up to 14 days and during that time you can show no symptoms, so for arrivals without symptoms how can you check? And if you were a devotee of Flightradar you will probably guess that those figures are a little out of date. Read that article further, dated mid April, and even the reporter who went to check that story out, found it likely to be an exaggeration and overestimation! Some people are still arriving on repatriation flights - send them back  I hear the cries - but we can not lock the world down forever! We have to learn to accept that the risk of catching it is low, the risk of dying whatever age group you fall in is lower still and like it or not you have to draw a line somewhere.

Everyone is pinning hopes on a vaccine but even when, and if you get one, who decides which country gets it first, and then who gets inoculated? Perhaps someone who bandies figures figures around would like to work out how long it would take to inoculate the whole of the UK, let alone the whole of Europe, and the world even IF you could get the product?? Which will always be in short supply methinks! 

Well I am off to the boat just to pat her!!!!

• Like 1

how can you test arrivals conclusively when the only immediate test is a thermometer for which they are tested before embarkation , then what do you do if they did test positive put them back on the plane, if they swab the mouths/nose it doesn't show if your contaminated until it has been to a laboratory, plus how soon can you be contaminated by a fellow passenger before a test shows you ether stop all flights or you lock them in a hotel/army camp for 14 days on arrival or self isolate for 14 days, not sure how a business man can do this if he has come on business ? there is bound to be some on isolation that will just pop out to get a bottle of milk when they know that they shouldn't for 14 days, until we get a immediate test i cant see how it can be done differently from what they are doing now. John

4 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Poppy, I feel a little concerned that you distrust the Government figures direct from either the ministers or their expert advisors live on the BBC, yet appear to have some sort of faith in the information reported in the Daily Mail.

Pointless denying the fact that thousands are arriving daily by air. The 'mail' link was the first of many with the same information.

Take it or leave it !

• Like 1

one of my work colleagues has two kids, both in nursery, in the weeks before lockdown, if one of the children coughed once, they were sending both home for 48 hours, can you imagine what the response will be to a cough now, in the meantime she is now struggling to look after her kids as her partner has returned to work, the problem is now she is effectively looking after them on her own, she doesnt have time to work from home, she is dreading being told her furlough is finished.

I have a cough which I usually get in the winter - not every winter mind but fairly frequently. Had it for about 35 years on and off and when I asked my doctor about it he thought about for a couple of  minutes and told me not to worry too much about it as he thought it unlikely to kill me!!! Thanks mate!!!!!

Things are slowly opening up, many businesses are doing take outs and deliveries, the Broads are open for day visitors and now elite sports are opening for training.

Hopefully overnight stays will soon be allowed and the Broads will get a much needed boost

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-outlines-conditions-for-elite-athletes-return-to-competitive-training

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Hopefully. I think getting sports up and running if it is sensible to do so is the right thing to do, as it will bring some relief from the monotony of lock down for many people, though I appreciate not everyone is interested.  

Government seems to be instigating a monthly relaxation with some small changes made at the beginning of May and more promised for June and July IF the qualifying figures allow. Hopefully they will and by July we might just be able to get away in the caravan for a few days, although we are booked to go to Wales which worries me somewhat with the tighter lock down. If they do maintain that stance then of course we will respect that. 

I am in recovery from COVID-19 having contracted the virus at the end of April, despite following lock down and social distancing rules. I didn't suffer as badly as many but it was still pretty horrid for a couple of days and very uncomfortable for several days after. Even now I still have a dreadful cough which though getting no less persistent seems to be getting less violent at least and the coughing isn;t so bad now that it's giving me head aches. 

I tested negative for corona Virus on Saturday but have been told the cough may continue for many weeks, even three months as the lungs try to rid themselves of dead cells and scar tissue caused by the infection. 

I think the word sensible is key now. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Paul said:

having contracted the virus at the end of April, despite following lock down and social distancing rules.

That’s worrying Paul, do you have any idea where you might have contracted it? Supermarket maybe?

Glad you are getting over it albeit the cough is hanging on. 

17 minutes ago, vanessan said:

That’s worrying Paul, do you have any idea where you might have contracted it? Supermarket maybe?

Glad you are getting over it albeit the cough is hanging on. 

No idea I'm afraid, I was being alert I promise but it crept up on me nonetheless, and despite following the government guidelines to the letter. One of the things I was reading from the WHO suggested that lock down has a limited effect on the transmission of the virus, some effect yes, but it doesn't stop it. Lot's of graphics have appeared on social media suggesting if you stay home you will not catch the virus, and that is simply not true. The virus can enter your home on post or parcels where it can live for three days, so one unguarded cough in a sorting office, dispatch department etc and here it is. Then there are supermarkets as you suggest, I am the one who does the shopping during lock down, when I'm not isolating of course, though neighbours have been very good in keeping us stocked. Even if you never go out, you have your shopping delivered the virus can still enter your home on your shopping. 

In fairness there has been one thing I have struggled with, and that is to stop touching my face, it's like a nervous tick with me and Elaine has yelled at me many times when I've been scratching my chin or pushing my hair back, and I don't notice I'm doing it so perhaps it is no great surprise. 

The official guidelines for my case were to self isolate me for 7 days after which I would be allowed out again, assuming my temperature was back to normal, and everyone else in the house had to isolate for 14 days. Breydon, our youngest we think copped a dose, he had a couple of days of cough and high temperature but soon got back to normal and neither Jamie nor Elaine have shown any symptoms.  Despite the cough I am officially good to go out again now but do feel very self conscious doing so, so I'm still staying in for the time being.

In truth I'm probably glad to have had the virus and to be recovering. Increasingly scientific thought is moving towards it being unlikely that you will contract the virus twice and if that is the case then to be a recovered covid sufferer is a comfortable place to be. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One of my lads at work Paul has been though a similar experience as yours he feels ok but keeps testing positive it's a strange one for sure .interestingly my family was all rought  leading up to Christmas all with the said symptoms I myself was flattered for nine days after the new year so as a group we have started the anti body testing half of them have had the test and every test so far has come positive interms of covid anti body's so this has been around longer then currently being suggested 

Finny

47 minutes ago, finny said:

One of my lads at work Paul has been though a similar experience as yours he feels ok but keeps testing positive it's a strange one for sure .interestingly my family was all rought  leading up to Christmas all with the said symptoms I myself was flattered for nine days after the new year so as a group we have started the anti body testing half of them have had the test and every test so far has come positive interms of covid anti body's so this has been around longer then currently being suggested 

Finny

According to the Governments own statistics the 2019-20 normal seasonal flu peaked around Christmas then dropped rapidly away before the covid took over a few weeks later The attached stats (just 4 pages) includes covid and shows just how many hospital admissions were from care homes following the traditional numbers for normal seasonal flu 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/885092/National_influenza_report_14_May_2020_week_20.pdf

Edited by Bytheriver
update
  • Like 1

Just found out this weekend a good mate of mine from school has died from Covid he was 57. We had a school reunion last year were we both spent the whole night laughing our heads off at our endeavours, so glad I went that night.

John

• Sad 8