Corona Virus

Paul

There are no real winners. Politics aside it's a balance on health  and Economics.

We are slowly  getting  out of this ,but theres still real danger that numbers of infections could raise. 

I'm at home more then likely at until the end of June.I want to get up to the boat,go out for a meal and a drink.Cant yet,the balance is very hard to judge, we all have to balance the risk.We can now go to the beach  are we prepared to do so we thousands of others and take that risk.

It's worth bearing in mind that yesterday  for instance nearly 400 died,that's two fully loaded planes .To get back to a near normal  life is still going to be hard achieve.

And now we learn that Premiership football, clearly a sport where contact is certain is to return in three weeks - but cricket is banned still until at least 1st August.  I suppose that nasty hard ball can carry viruses !

How can people still suggest that money has no part in this ?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Poppy said:

And now we learn that Premiership football, clearly a sport where contact is certain is to return in three weeks - but cricket is banned still until at least 1st August.  I suppose that nasty hard ball can carry viruses !

Just now theres talk of perhaps two matches with the West Indies .Behind closed doors,money being the driving force,the same as football. The ECB have a four Million pound gap in funding.

I should be watching England v West indies at Lords next month. Last email from the MCC pushed back to July.I dought it will be cancelled. 

47 minutes ago, Poppy said:

I'm no great fan of football, but like it or not it is the most popular sport in the country. I would suggest the government driver to allowing football is more about giving the general public something to look forward to and something to watch. To that end I hear that some games will even be free on normal free TV channels rather than just subscription channels. 

10 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I'm no great fan of football, but like it or not it is the most popular sport in the country. I would suggest the government driver to allowing football is more about giving the general public something to look forward to and something to watch. To that end I hear that some games will even be free on normal free TV channels rather than just subscription channels. 

I'm  hearing that footie fans are not over keen on matches played behind closed doors.

2 minutes ago, Poppy said:

I'm  hearing that footie fans are not over keen on matches played behind closed doors.

Personally I'd be happier if they were played in another country as I can't stand the game, but I realise I'm in the minority there.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Personally I'd be happier if they were played in another country as I can't stand the game, but I realise I'm in the minority there.

There are a few of us out here, I don't like football either!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

25 minutes ago, NeilB said:

There are a few of us out here, I don't like football either!

Oh dear, all 92 matches will be live, subscription free. It will either be purgatory or glorious depending on your point of view.

I haven't seen yet when they have to be played by so i guess it will either be compressed into a limited period or spread towards next season. Money talks again, anything to avoid paying money back to the TV companies.

I shall look forward to it, mainly as a rest from the constant repeats.

I don't see it matters much, Covid has been winning so far. Our captain was fouled early on and the referee and linesmen seem to have been looking in the wrong direction, as usual.

4 hours ago, Ray said:

They will simply say that staying away from home is allowed, that is a simple message without need to refer to any perceived elitism

they will probably add to that the phrase providing social distancing is maintained at all times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotorBoater said:

Oh dear, all 92 matches will be live, subscription free.

really? The news I read this morning is that BBC will carry four live games free to air, Sky will show 64 IIRC of which they will make 25 available free to air, you can bet that will be the boring unimportant ones like Norwich City ...

Nothing from BT sport as to if they intend to make and available free to air, though in respect to them they have been very good with Champions league finals in recent years. 

Watching football behind closed doors is sad in some ways, the lack of atmosphere is very strange but we must do what we can. 

4 hours ago, Poppy said:

The August 1st ban on domestic cricket was imposed by the ECB, it is not a government decision. 

4 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

The ECB have a four Million pound gap in funding.

Actually it's 300 million though they are hoping to reduce that figure by playing against the West Indies behind closed doors in July and at least generating some TV revenue.

I follow both football and cricket, and also Rugby Union. Right now I am more worried about what is happening to the latter. Yesterday World Rugby issued a list of guidelines and law changes it plans to introduce to make Rugby safer during this pandemic. They look like a very thinly veiled repeat of changes that WR has tried to introduce in the past to increase the pace of the game and which have been rejected by it's stake holders who have to approve such changes. Predominantly this includes things to reduce the impact of the scrum and maul in the game which to Rugby Union fans are the vital difference between Union and League, rules such as removing the scrum option for penalties and free kicks, no resetting the scrum, limiting the time the ball can be held in a scrum or maul, regardless of whether the ball is moving forward. It just smacks of imposing it's opinion of the laws on to the game through the back door. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Silent majorities are like that. :-)

I will join the silent majority of football haters, a lot of grown men kicking a ball around and paid ludicrous sums to do so. so that just means that since I dont watch the news and i dont watch sport, the TV will just be on talking pictures, or more usually nowadays youtube watching interesting stuff such as shipbuilding, or as I have recently found a wheelwright whos talents range from woodwork, metalwork and sewing the canopies for wagons and buggys.

• Like 1

All sport is pointless, unless you are a fan :default_biggrin:

I don't follow football or cricket. I do enjoy watching 20 fast cars going around in circles overtaking Williams :default_rofl:

Most sport will be less exciting without a crowd of supporters but given the choice I would rather watch my chosen one without a crowd than not at all.

• Like 1

Oh dear oh dear,as most know I love Chelsea  fc.Also Rugby Cricket Tennis etc.I make no bones live sport is great .I should  be watching England  play the West indies next month.Not sure I will get to see some live sport. 

My view is not supported by many.I think contact sport should  be postponed until perhaps  next year.When hopefully this virus is more under control .

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MotorBoater said:

10am this morning I read all matches will be "subscription free". Now I find you can watch them all for an average of £ 1.28.

Money still talking I guess.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8369105/How-cost-watch-92-Premier-League-games-season.html

One of the governing factors in getting the Premier League going again is the massive refund clubs will have to pay to the broadcasters if it doesn't. It's been no secret that the bottom six clubs have been pushing for the season to be annulled, hopefully they can do better given another chance next season, the top four, secure of champions league football want it ended and considered a result, the clubs in 5th to 8th want it finished so they maybe have a chance of getting into the European places and the rest in between don't really give a nuts as they are not going down and not going to qualify for Europe. Suddenly tell those clubs in the bottom six that of they don't play the outstanding games they're going to have a £20m bill to pay and they get a bit more energetic.

So yes, sadly, money probably is the governing factor in getting the premier league going again. 

As far as my club Liverpool is concerned, I'm not too worried about the risks, not many can get within two yards of us anyway.

2 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

All sport is pointless, unless you are a fan :default_biggrin:

I don't follow football or cricket. I do enjoy watching 20 fast cars going around in circles overtaking Williams :default_rofl:

I have had the pleasure of meeting Sir Frank and a few of his family so it was with a degree of sadness I read today that Williams F1 is for sale.

2 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Max Vestappen thinks F1 is a contact sport.

Yet it is always the other guy`s fault for not getting out of the way! Talented pillock!

• Haha 1

I have been walking out with my camera for a few evenings and doing videos of the area. 

I have noticed a growing number of people on holiday on their boats; there were at least three last night and I can assure members that I am not confusing holidays with liveaboards. 

If I had observed this in the middle of last week, I would have been angry that people were not following the rules. 

But it's not last week, it's now and what I am angry at is the double standards and the ensuing situation. People are CLEARLY saying "stuff it" and I have to say that I can't blame them. I am incredibly angry over the situation which isn't political in the sense that it's one party against another; it's the government taking us all for mugs. 

Anyway, if anyone is interested in the video, have a little calm down: 

• Like 5
  • Love 2