Corona Virus

Paul

9 minutes ago, Tempest said:

It may not be popular with some, but I really do not see any reason why you can't overnight stay in a second home, caravan, tent, motorhome or boat now!

I agree with the sentiment but it'll be a very brave politician who announces it. The BBC have probably already got some loser lined up ready to get passionate in front of the camera about rich people when others are suffering hardship. I think it'll come in a batch of other relaxations so it may be "lost".

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I agree with the sentiment but it'll be a very brave politician who announces it. The BBC have probably already got some loser lined up ready to get passionate in front of the camera about rich people when others are suffering hardship. I think it'll come in a batch of other relaxations so it may be "lost".

Understand fully with your comment and you are probably right, but for me there is a clue in the title of the word leadership that so many who are in that position fail to recognise

its like finding hard and fast figures for the worldwide deaths from the 1918 spanish flu pandemic, they agree on 50 million, but say it could be as high as 100 million, 1/3 of the world population caught it, 1/20 of the world population died from it.

At least modern medicine and communications has so far kept this pandemic out of those realms.

• Like 4

It has occurred to me that many are saying that we are easing restrictions faster than other countries, yet they take no account of us having a 2m social distancing measure rather than the more usual 1m elsewhere.

No matter how important us boaters think we are, we are a long way down any list of priorities.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

It has occurred to me that many are saying that we are easing restrictions faster than other countries, yet they take no account of us having a 2m social distancing measure rather than the more usual 1m elsewhere.

No matter how important us boaters think we are, we are a long way down any list of priorities.

There were some "experts" on the tv last night questioning the need for 2 metres. Claiming the science tells us it's has no better safeguard than 1 metre. They thought we would adopt 1 metre very soon.

17 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

There were some "experts" on the tv last night questioning the need for 2 metres. Claiming the science tells us it's has no better safeguard than 1 metre. They thought we would adopt 1 metre very soon.

If all the ' experts' that have suddenly emerged were actually generating wealth for the country we would be in a stronger financial position :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

Sorry if anyone else has posted this today but it at least lets us know exactly what we should or should not be doing at this time.   From what I can see not a lot has changed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1738&utm_content=bottom-button

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

If all the ' experts' that have suddenly emerged were actually generating wealth for the country we would be in a stronger financial position :default_biggrin:

Is there a market for bullsh1t?

We could be world leaders!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wonderwall said:

They thought we would adopt 1 metre very soon.

Admittedly cynical but it seems to me that the majority of those singing that song are those who know a 2 metre rule, in pubs for instance, would kill any chance of profit stone dead!

• Like 3

If any elected government were to ignore advise that stated 1 metre is sufficient, it would be hung out to dry by it's whatsits. If that same government were to take the advice, and it proved to be wrong it would, once again, be hung out to dry by it's whatsits.

Yet if that government were to take the new advice, and it proved to be successful, it would still be hung out to dry by it's whatsits, for not doing it earlier.

BUT, if it dithered and did nothing, it would be accused of not having any whatsits.

Or am I talking whatsits? 

• Like 6

When the coronavirus pandemic started, 27 European countries pooled their resources, working together to fight and contain the virus, sending doctors and nurses across borders in an act of solidarity. One country didn't.

Source - BBC Newsnight,image.thumb.png.f9e38005d9978818ffd97574c743fdf7.png

• Like 4

Just for old times sake I went back and read the first dozen or so pages of posts in this thread. It made interesting reading. Our attitudes were completely different back in late Feb  early March... all except one who was already taking advantage of the virus to whinge about the government.

• Like 1

Every citizen has a duty to hold government to account, its not disloyal or treason, it doesn't even favour other Parties and groups, it is democracy in action. Calling it whinging is to devalue to whole system of checks and balances!

Was it me? I got bored to death by page 3 ( jokes about P3 will be irrelevant but funny)

• Like 3

No, not you, and it was a definite "snipe" though I can't find it now. It was not "holding the government to account"

I think I agree with you about holding the government to account, but surely that should only happen if there were better options recommended to that government at that time. Hindsight should play no part.

• Like 2

I think this is part of the story that requires one to look at that very point, was advice, research and relative experience available to draw upon in addition to the SAGE group? My answer is yes there was, but how can we really discuss this in depth here?

So, I will have to say that in my opinion things have been done/not done that could have been done better with knowledge available at the time.

I also respect that others may not share my opinion.

• Like 3

Like Ray my opinion is, that in the early  part of this outbreak.We were rightly  shut down,for quite  rightly our safety. Most of us accepted the reasons for doing so.In recent weeks the breaks have started  to be lefted.Now the balance  is hard to get right.To little to much.The Government are in a difficult position. I remember one of the chefs I work with told us about this virus which could  be a big killer, sometime in late December or early  January. I poured cold water on that remark and said that's been said before, SARS for example. How wrong  I was.This disease spread quickly, for many weeks no deaths,then the numbers kept on raising.Now is the time to play our part ,dont take unnecessary risks.Meeting is large groups is a risk.We have all made big changes  to our lives.Its far to say all of us want to get back to a near normal  life.I look forward to getting up to the boat.A meal and a pint even going back to work.The Government have done mush to be commended, also some that quite frankly were poorly thought  out.

With this virus becomes more manageable, I believe there should be an inquiry. No finger pointing, but what worked ,what didn't and how best to deal with a virus  outbreak like this in future. May also be an idea if other countries could  undertake inquiry s too.

• Like 4