Corona Virus

Paul

Sometime or other, some of you guys really must find more positive things in the outlook and concentrate on those For one thing, I do not think they are actually very close to even calculating accurately the R number, so why are some so fixated with it? 

Despite all those people who consider otherwise, few, if any, other Europe countries have seen a second wave after relaxing the lockdown, so why are you all so insistent it is just around the corner? Remember too, most of these countries only have a 1 metre social distancing regulation and they do not appeared to have suffered unduly as a result of that?

And of course it is difficult to hear tales of Kate Garroways experiences, but in all honesty, how different is that to a fit and healthy person suddenly being hit by a massive stroke, but surviving as a vegetable - there is no shortage either of tales of people being hit by an unknown brain tumour and many other diseases. So why does this tale seem to hit you all so hard when in the past you have not even known of other people with harrowing conditions. We are all mortal and death is there at the end of the road for all of you at some stage - its called the pattern of life! I know the scale is different but you do not hide indoors every winter because you might die of flu - or do you? Sometimes I think you just forget about those who die every year from unknown and/or unavoidable death but sadly thats life and something you can never avoid however, or whatever, precautions you take.

I suspect some of you must be glued to the TV every day soaking up every nuance - I don't think mine has been on this week at all! I have a quick check on my phone every morning to see whats going on and then I listen to nothing more. There is always good news around but everyone is obsessed - and don't tell me how may people have died please. Its not irrelevant but remember many many people have had it and survived, and whether you want it or not, we are going to continue and the world will still go round! Remember perhaps our experiences pale into insignificance if you look at places like Syria and the Yemen -  the ordinary people there did not ask to killed by loony factions fighting a war, nor those who die of famine, nor those of malaria.

We have a future - please look forward to it!

• Like 13

I do wonder if our so called poor performance compared to other countries means we are less likely to have a big second wave, if such a large number have had it then surely we are closer to a herd immunity than somewhere that has had very few infections, our lack of testing could work either way.

1 hour ago, marshman said:

I do not think they are actually very close to even calculating accurately the R number, so why are some so fixated with it? 

It was/is Boris Johnson that is fixated with this! At one time it seemed our whole future depended upon what happened to this and it seems to be used to decide when lockdown decisions are made.

Marshman,much of what you've  posted is hard to disagree with.Every day we wake up and dont really know if we will see another  day.There are many illnesses that can kill us.The idiots walking  around  with knives and guns  wanting for no reason to kill someone. 

Being  65 with COPD and other health problems, sorry if it upsets anyone this disease is a very real risk to me.If I get it I may well die.So forgive me if I am concerned about the R number.I want to live a normal  life.Fact I am allowed  out once a day with Marina or one other person, I cant visit  shops ,just a walk near by.Sorry if I get annoyed that perhaps  thousands gather in London  to demonstrate, not only not caring about  there health  but those of the rest of us.Yes it's very true regarding  Flu,something that can also kill me Ever since I recovered  from pneumonia I have the flu jab,to give me a fighting chance  if I get it .COPD is a killer,something  I live with .I look forward to a time when we stop talking about this dreadful  disease. Until this becomes more manageable I will expect  a lot from this Government and any other body that looks after us.Do I believe much of the rubbish pushed out on TV and the press NO.This post is about the Corona  virus .So it's not going to be the happiest of posts.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

The worrying  thing, it  appears  the R number is starting to be going up again. 

Can it do anything else but go up after the mass demonstrations in the capital?

Griff

Actually the R rate in London is about middle in the country, though Yorkshire is still the lowest, north west is the worst at just over 1

https://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/now-casting/

• Like 1

Ray ,yes these demonstrations are spreading in other parts of the country. The same applies  for beaches and beauty spots. Its not the time to crowd together. A senior Police officer yesterday  quite rightly  said these demonstrations are illegal breaking the six person rule.Dont think for a minute that will be taken on board  by those taking part.

• Like 3

I find two pieces of information of keen interest to me. The 'R' number and the daily death statistic. The total death number is apart from telling us what a dreadful time we are going through, a totally useless figure.

Apart from those two figures, I agree with Marshman, we should be trying to see the positives more clearly. Who do I believe as sources of information? Well, that's a bit difficult. I have to believe the politicians and their advisors. I have no choice! To believe in what journalists tell me is just folly. To believe in what the man "in the pub" (to coin a phrase) says is even less reliable.

So, what have I got? Well the daily death rate is a reducing figure, and has been for some time now and we are lead to believe that the "R" rate is also dropping albeit very slowly. These two figures give hope that the new "normal" is on it's way. This I cling to.

What does the future hold? Well I remember Alan Sugar (a man I dislike incidentally ) having a go at people for talking us into a recession. He was perfectly correct, and we should try our best to try to avoid doing it again.

Recession is often a result of lack of confidence in the economic future, and not of that economic future itself. very much like shortages in supermarkets. If one can start a rumour that there will be a shortage of cornflakes, people will panic but and a shortage will be imminent, where it would not have existed without that initial rumour.  

Now is as important a time as we have ever had, to have faith in parliament (Government AND the opposition parties)  to do it's collective best to see us through the difficult times ahead. Now is not the time to undermine it.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Now is as important a time as we have ever had, to have faith in parliament (Government AND the opposition parties)  to do it's collective best to see us through the difficult times ahead. Now is not the time to undermine it.

I agree with most of your post MM except this last paragraph, even a cursory review of the PM, members of his Cabinet and simple recent performance leave me with no faith at all and little belief in anything they say. The one thing more important than faith in our leaders is watching them like a hawk!

• Like 2

Ray, It is impossible to question your post without breaking the rules of this forum, so I shall not do so. but please remember I said "Parliament" and went on to clarify by saying "Government AND the opposition parties" 

I believe that to be important.

• Like 3

You're right of course and I did hesitate before replying because we can't develop our points of view.

I should have said that I did indeed note that you included all of parliament and that was good to see.

Personally, I know many will disagree, I have little regard for any of them which at least shows balance and fairness lol I accept there are exceptions among them from all sides.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ray said:

Personally, I know many will disagree, I have little regard for any of them which at least shows balance and fairness lol I accept there are exceptions among them from all sides.

Don't forget we have all had to watch parliament stagger lamely through 3 years of Brexit (which is no-where near over) and now we have to watch them staggering through this. I wonder what the next problem for them will be?

Bankruptcy, perhaps.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

BLM?

No and no again - They don't, they certainly should not be the priority

ALL lives matter

Griff

Your right all lives matter.

It's also worth pointing out though, that at no point have they said Only Black Lives Matter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Ray ,yes these demonstrations are spreading in other parts of the country. The same applies  for beaches and beauty spots. Its not the time to crowd together. A senior Police officer yesterday  quite rightly  said these demonstrations are illegal breaking the six person rule.Dont think for a minute that will be taken on board  by those taking part.

Unfortunately the media, in an effort to sell more papers, often use photos taken specifically to emphasise their point.  At a time like this, sensationalism makes people talk and generate fear or panic.  A lot of the pictures I’ve seen in the press that supposedly show people crammed together are taken with long telephoto lenses, which any photographer will tell you, compresses perspective and make things (or people) appear closer than they really are.  There are exceptions, such as the incident at Durdle Dor where people were moved together to allow air ambulances to land.  
I fully understand your medical conditions and sympathise, but we are going to have to get used to a new normal.  There may never be an effective vaccine for this virus, just the same as there is no cure for the common cold.  As far as I’m concerned, I’ve been lucky to reach the age of 64.  Many people don’t for all sorts of reasons.  I don’t want to waste whatever time I have left on this planet hoping for a miracle cure, but prefer to try to live as normally as I can taking all of the reasonable precautions I can at the same time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes many of the photos are taken  from a long way away many up close .Sorry this is not the time to crowd  together. Demonstration,enjoy the beach etc .All can be done but must be taken with care and safely. What is important is to reduce  the spread  of this disease as best as we can.People such as my self,about two and a half Million want a near normal  life. We are not helped at present  by the selfish acts of some.As I said with my condition I face risks each and every  day.I've learnt to live with it.I fully understand that soon there will be s point  where we have to accept  more risks.In the mean time let's reduce the odds against as best we can.

• Like 2