Corona Virus

Paul

Having had bacterial pneumonia twice in the last ten years and the antibiotics of last resort twice, I now find myself with asthma as well as the need for blood pressure medication. 

Im not particularly worried as I don’t touch my face or snog  strangers and I wash my hands religiously.

If anyone is concerned if they feel a bit pants if you don’t have a temperature but have flu like symptoms you have a cold.

Colds are an afebrile (no temperature) disease. You might feel terrible but it’s not going to kill you. 

Covid and SARS and normal flu all give you a temperature spike.

I have had real flu three times in my life the first time when I was 15, then 22 and later in my thirties and never since. I was washed out for at least three weeks of recovery with two weeks unable to even turn over in bed without breaking out in a deep bone aching sweat. 

Have faith in the system it does and will help but don't panic. Italy has thirty times our rate of infection we are a long way ( so far) from banning public gatherings.

Having said all that the pasta section in tesco tonight had been subjected to an attack by panic buying locusts. Lol 

made me laugh all the way to the car... 

Good health to everyone 

• Like 4

Marshman, the Government has already intimated that it will close schools if it is prudent to do so. You must remember that schools know who their pupils are, unlike the owners of a caravan site. It will only take one irresponsible, infected individual who insists on going on holiday because he'd paid for it and wasn't allowed to cancel.  A year or two ago my wife and I went on holiday in Spain. A virus swept through the hotel, indeed it had started before we arrived, scores of people were taken to hospital. There were very few who didn't catch it. As I sit here the news reader is telling us that schools will close, that the infection is travelling undetected. Balance is all very well, but so is caution.

• Like 1

Schools will not close readily, the virus seems to be less problematic for youngsters. The parents need to carry on working so the economic ‘hit’ is less. Note  the suspension of legal limits to class sizes has been on the agenda, teachers will be expected to ‘double up’ as we did on occasion in the ‘olden days’ with staff away ill. 
Closure will be a last resort.

• Like 2

My businesses partner is due to go on a Far East cruise in 10 days covering Thialand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia and ending in India, two weeks on a cruise ship. The travel company have changed the itinerary several times but are refusing to cancel. It is costing over 6k but insurance won't pay. I have two weeks away booked when they come back, my cruise will be in Norfolk.

The biggest problem is if they have to self isolate on there return.

I love cruises but you couldn't pay me to go on one at the moment.

7 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

My businesses partner is due to go on a Far East cruise in 10 days covering Thialand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia and ending in India, two weeks on a cruise ship. The travel company have changed the itinerary several times but are refusing to cancel. It is costing over 6k but insurance won't pay. I have two weeks away booked when they come back, my cruise will be in Norfolk.

The biggest problem is if they have to self isolate on there return.

I love cruises but you couldn't pay me to go on one at the moment.

I'm pretty certain that self isolation isn't the biggest problem at least not for your partner , obviously the travel company won't cancel it could cost them a great deal of money if they did and weren't covered by insurance to do so , personally I can think of alot of reasons to cancel be that travel companies doing or the individual .

As I posted yesterday, I contact ed 111 regarding some symptoms ,temperature  feeling unwell etc.The doctor reviewed notes from 111 and advised me to see him if symptoms continued for a week.I did not go to work yesterday or today.Pleased to say my temperature appears normal now.There are other things which may or could be down to my COPD. Perhaps a warning. I'm aware of signs that sometimes lead to a chest infection. The way I feel dont think that's going to happen now.My problem some of the symptoms are also similar to those of Corona,which in my case it's not 

• Like 6

The present outbreak of this virus, while undoubtedly worrying for the more vulnerable members of society, will run it's course and eventually be beaten, or more likely die out of it's own accord. I'm worried what will happen when a virus with, say, 50, 60 or even 100% mortality rate develops. It's proven now that we can't prevent the spread of these viruses globally, so what hope for us? I'm of the opinion it will be a global pandemic that will be the end of civilisation, rather than nuclear war or climate disaster.

• Like 2

Blimey Ray! Cheer us up?🤪

Seriously my thinking is that lessons are being learned the hard way in this outbreak, so hopefully, more prompt action to contain will be one carried forward.

Had the authorities in Wuhan been more effective, starting with market oversight, it is possible none of this would have happened. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Regulo said:

The present outbreak of this virus, while undoubtedly worrying for the more vulnerable members of society, will run it's course and eventually be beaten, or more likely die out of it's own accord. I'm worried what will happen when a virus with, say, 50, 60 or even 100% mortality rate develops. It's proven now that we can't prevent the spread of these viruses globally, so what hope for us? I'm of the opinion it will be a global pandemic that will be the end of civilisation, rather than nuclear war or climate disaster.

Add drought and famine to that and you have natures way of controlling over population regardless of our interference.

Fred

2 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Add drought and famine to that and you have natures way of controlling over population regardless of our interference.

Fred

Pestilence shouldn't be forgotten!

In the meantime two cases have apparently been confirmed in Suffolk, arghh - - - - - - - 

8 hours ago, Polly said:

Had the authorities in Wuhan been more effective, starting with market oversight, it is possible none of this would have happened.

I am no more a fan of China and the human rights violations etc than anyone else but, in this case, I think this is a bit unfair. This virus is completely new to the world and nobody really has an effective way to deal with it yet! Yes, the nature of China's way of governing tends to conceal all manner of things but I think we need to make allowances and support anyone's efforts in trying to find answers to this problem. World leaders have already stated that they have had lots of useful scientific information provided by China and we are all learning as things progress. Lecture over!!

I’ve heard it said ‘by an expert’ that, in the case of this particular virus, Chinese authorities dealt with it quickly and (apparently) transparently, compared with previous pandemics where they were slow to share info with the international community.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I’ve heard it said ‘by an expert’ that, in the case of this particular virus, Chinese authorities dealt with it quickly and (apparently) transparently, compared with previous pandemics where they were slow to share info with the international community.

I think there's very mixed opinions on that going by the comments I have heard on the radio ... but then there's a lot of "experts" out there who think they know best.

We are where we are ... but I had an email from a customer yesterday asking about our team's business continuity plans. I don't think we've made any at this point.

Newswatch on the BBC this morning was interesting. Some people felt the coverage was right but I think they were outweighed by those who felt that the media are making people panic by constantly stating the worst case scenarios rather than reporting the facts. It is an unknown.

• Like 2

I can understand people panic buying food to an extent but it always amuses me when toilet rolls become the ‘must have’ items. A cousin in Australia says that her local store has run out of pasta, rice, long life milk and toilet rolls. My mother in law seemed to collect toilet rolls as if they were going out of fashion. When we cleared her house after she passed away, we found dozens of packs squirrelled away. It took us almost 18 months to use them! 

• Like 1

I reckon toilet rolls are the cheap way to buy tissues perhaps!!

Personally I don't think there's any excuse for panic buying food and it's just wrong at this stage. Wonder how much of it will go to waste which is criminal in itself.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I can understand people panic buying food to an extent but it always amuses me when toilet rolls become the ‘must have’ items. A cousin in Australia says that her local store has run out of pasta, rice, long life milk and toilet rolls. My mother in law seemed to collect toilet rolls as if they were going out of fashion. When we cleared her house after she passed away, we found dozens of packs squirrelled away. It took us almost 18 months to use them! 

You have reminded me of when Mum passed and we cleared her house.   We found enough toilet rolls to be used by an army including jam which she had made in 1972 ,  this was 2012.   The jam was stuffed under the single bed in the little spare room and the mountain of toilet rolls were piled on top of the bed.   You have to chuckle.   I think it stems from the war time with the older folk of when shortages meant shortages and not like today.     I do wonder if some people are doing it for profit.      I noticed in our local pharmacy, a large notice,  DETTOL BACK IN STOCK and when I looked a medium sized bottle was nearly six quid.   Needless to say I hope they are still on their shelf in two years time at that price.    I think the last time I bought some it was about £1.50 and I still have that bottle.   Mind you I have seen it in the last day £11.99 on Amazon.

• Like 2

Asda this morning and the reduced packaging refills of dettol surface cleaner were on offer at £3 with a ton of stock, 99.9% bacterial and virus stuff, they even had the anti bac and virus surface wipes. as i needed to top up anyway aa refill pack and a pack of the wipes were purchased, toilet rolls too, as we had run out in one wc.

• Like 2