New Inn Horning

Mark42

I will be out on the Broads first week in April. With the New Inn closed for a few more months, what will the situation be with their mooring spots. Available for free ? Somebody taking payments but don’t have to eat as the pub closed. 

• Like 2

Hmmm, awkward one.  if there isn't any room anywhere else to moor in Horning, I would probably chance it and offer to pay if anyone 'Official' came to see you and be nice to them.  You can but try / ask?

I did speak with the potential new landlord and he did say he was hoping to finalise things sometime in March but as of yet nothing in concrete.  That's as much as I can say on it

Griff

My suspicion is that they may well be closed - there will be no supervision and if its not occupied, perhaps no valid liability insurance, therefore it will probably be at your own risk. At the same time, anyone mooring without any permission will actually be trespassing as well. Also you will undoubtedly get someone mooring side on, so it may be minimal mooring anyway!!!!

• Like 1

Interesting question. We’re out week after next and were talking about this yesterday as it had become one of our regular lunch stops. The insurance aspect is a good point. Our intention, for lack of any other ideas, was to see if there are any no mooring signs. 

To be fair everyone commenting knows the pub is currently shut therefore they should also know to land and moor there is indeed trespassing , IMHO it requires a level of respect for the property of others , after all no one would appreciate people wandering onto there property , does it really need no mooring signs etc .

• Like 2

I understand its an Enterprise house, doubt they'll leave it empty and not earning for long. A couple of mates took on an EI pub in Ipswic and started trading last September - they only signed on the final dotted line of a 5 year lease a couple of weeks ago.

I understand this is being taken on by someone with a long standing reputation for running high quality establishments, I will say no more till they wish to make it public, I will say no more at the  moment other than this is private property not a public mooring and should be treated as such.

Fred

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Keep your hat on Fred! It’s obvious it’s private moorings but would be good to know if come early April mooring is allowable. I would certainly pay in the region of £10.00 per night then you have option of eating at any of the Horning establishments. Hopefully if Fred has private sound intel it will be open in a few weeks time. 

I do agree Cambridge, if you are a party of 4-6 people you will easily drop a £100 but it is prime position and lovely on a summers evening. When on holiday you pay what you have to pay. Hopefully it will be back open soon with Gus back on the bank. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark42 said:

Keep your hat on Fred! It’s obvious it’s private moorings but would be good to know if come early April mooring is allowable. I would certainly pay in the region of £10.00 per night then you have option of eating at any of the Horning establishments. Hopefully if Fred has private sound intel it will be open in a few weeks time. 

Would if I wore one, abusing private property is a touchy subject round here with unmentionables using other peoples drives to go shopping.

Fted

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Would if I wore one, abusing private property is a touchy subject round here with unmentionables using other peoples drives to go shopping.

Fted

Absolutely agree , if the pub is closed then so are the mooring's .

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

Interesting question. We’re out week after next and were talking about this yesterday as it had become one of our regular lunch stops. The insurance aspect is a good point. Our intention, for lack of any other ideas, was to see if there are any no mooring signs. 

I think you're on tricky ground there Jean. My understanding is the absence of "no mooring" signs doesn't automatically convey permission to moor. Given its private property you'd need permission which if the pub was still closed would be very difficult to obtain. 

• Like 1

I think the thing with the New Inn is that they have always felt like public moorings in that you could moor outside of pub opening hours and walk along to the shops or around Horning while you were there. It’s easy to forget that it’s private property with the moorings being so accessible. 

Even if there are no signs saying you cannot moor there it is still fairly obvious it is private property. Unless anyone who moors there uses a dinghy or can levitate they would also need to go across the pub garden / grounds to access the rest of Horning which again would be trespass.

Personally I hate seeing the abundance of no mooring signs all along the river banks and private property. For the most part common sense and common decency should tell you where you can and cannot moor. If it is obviously private property then you don't moor without permission.

However giving people the benefit of the doubt, if you didn't read this forum, or know that the pub was closed, how would you know you shouldn't moor? A closed pub would normally have a barrier across the car park entrance, therefore unless the mooring is roped off, or access from the pub grounds blocked to the main road it would be hard to tell until you have moored that the pub was closed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

It always amazes me that The New Inn was free mooring , I do hope however that when they do start charging which they no doubt will that they permit some to be offset towards food costs if dining .

It was Never Free mooring at the New inn, you had to Eat there to Moor there 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

If they charge to moor there,I wont stop there.Have been going to the New Inn for years.Always have a meal there.Wont if they charge.

Not even if the mooring cost is taken off the bill ? 

19 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

If for example if the cost is 5 or 10 pounds and that's taken off the bill, then yes.If they retain part of the charge no.

They did however employ a attendent to assist with mooring and they have a very expensive quay heading to maintain , all of that cost has to come from somewhere with in beer an food pricing or a small mooring fee , I don't like it either but I fully understand it's a business and they are entitled to charge what they think is fair and many do ..that said many places still don't surlingham ferry for example .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Drinks prices were always pretty steep but then again it's an Enterprise pub. 

I suppose with Surlingham Ferry there isn't much else there so hopefully people mooring there would use the pub. In the case of the New Inn it could be more likely that folks would try to moor there just for access to the village so maybe a fee or caveat with a meal could be justified? 

• Like 5