New Inn Horning

Mark42

1 hour ago, D46 said:

Fast flowing there ?? Lord help those that venture on the southern rivers to the ferry house at surlingham where it's considerably faster and more exposed to wind , they don't have a mooring attendant , besides what on earth can the atendent do stood on the bank if the boater gets it wrong or doesn't listen ??? .

We know the Ferry house well.Moor there about  six times a year,always pre book moorings and a table.It is true theres not a attendant, however if you have problems phone the pub they will help.October 2018,we had just moored and Sonia said a boat was coming in with engine problems,about four of us helped the skipper moor up.

5 minutes ago, marshman said:

When double mooring was originally proposed it caused an outcry - but in all honesty is there much difference to stern on,

Yes there is! There is no "outside" boat to be inconvenienced by an "inside" boat, It is harder to fish from an "inside" boat rather than a stern on boat. But is other respects … no, not much difference.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

I take it you havnt moored there  then, it can be quite a bit quite a bit faster than most of the Bure for first timers, Gus used to walk out to a boat with difficulties or even board it if necessary no harm done.

Fred

Actually I most certainly have moored there , for first timers any mooring is a huge eye opener especially since they no longer have the help of the yards personal as the had at hand over , personally I don't see that much difference in the new inn and many other moorings and I certainly don't see several knot's of tide at anytime in the area of the swan .

17 minutes ago, marshman said:

Its all about the control of the boats in a confined spot - the New Inn was always fairly straightforward because you can see what is going on but the Ferry was very different. It was on a blind corner and you just would not be able to stop if you saw someone in trouble manoeuvring and taking up the whole river. Quay attendants were trialled at the Ferry but there were several issues with their control and abilities - thats why the experiment failed.

I must admit I was unaware of even a trial at Bramerton - is that one where they allow double mooring? When double mooring was originally proposed it caused an outcry - but in all honesty is there much difference to stern on, except it takes up less room in the river?  If Church Fen is full, I just go onto to Bargate - nice too!! To me stern on would not be appropriate in either position and in any case not really necessary for most of the time. Is it really necessary to have boats sticking out into the navigation by up to 45'?

Bramerton is indeed double mooring as is postwick and church fen , stern on at church fen was really stupid to me the quay zig zags so it would work .

I fully understand why the ferry was rejected as it would have been rather dangerous given its location .

Pick your time going into bargate these days it's very slited up , I believe BA were going to look into that , the good news there though is the abandoned boat was removed last month .

Pub Co websites are frequently out of date. I did hear that the New Inn lease had been taken up but could be wrong. Also I had an idea the Kings Head had changed hands. Again, could be wrong!! (I frequency am) :default_biggrin:

Mind you anyone leasing a pub from Ei is either very brave or naive!!! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tempest said:

Update on the sale of the New Inn.

Hope someone picks it up soon

I was also surprised to see the Ram and Kings Head listed on the right!!

https://www.eipublicanpartnerships.com/run-a-pub/pubs/pages/new-inn-horning.aspx?fbclid=IwAR34PydH8w7I-zFdikuShdJiZ6JRFsC5HaDbUBBX0hcT9Tq2Pfj8fMJP2OQ

Yea knew about the Ram changing hands for a few months now , thing is David and Martin are taking another pub ( not sure if with Enterprise though ) .

Personally I wish them well as they transformed the place , but rude of Enterprise IMHO to discribe it as in "good order" for that read immaculate , the fact is over a yr since the refit says alot about the management and also the customers too , TBH  you'd think it was box fresh and been open weeks if not days .

56 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Might be why some call it sterile and without any character then.

Should one take that as you haven't been in the pub ? If by sterile you mean clean then that's exactly right , pubs characters are generally built on the customers and that's not changed IMHO ..sure Tetley pub's of yrs ago had character but there was a very good reason for the dim lighting , wooden beams and what used to be magnolia walls .

Personally I liked it before and I like it now it's customers that make a pub not it's decor IMHO .

If customers want the direct opposite of the Ram then there's the yare n I also frequently frequent there too so I'm not biased in any way .

After decades of working in pub refurbishment both uk and internationally I know all too well if a pub will be successful in a refit/ relaunch , many don't make it past yr one , the right management and good customers are key especially customers , without them there's nothing no matter how good a Manager is in place .

Btw my comments are based on personal experience not purely because I know both outgoing landlords personally .

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Might be why some call it sterile and without any character then.

6 hours ago, D46 said:

Should one take that as you haven't been in the pub ? If by sterile you mean clean then that's exactly right , pubs characters are generally built on the customers and that's not changed IMHO ..sure Tetley pub's of yrs ago had character but there was a very good reason for the dim lighting , wooden beams and what used to be magnolia walls  .  . .  . .  . 

It's no secret that I like The Ferry House at Surlingham.  Aside from the food and beer, which are very good, there is a charm and warmth in the building itself which during the winter months make it a real treat to go to as well as the draw of the garden in more clement weather. 

I also like the food and beer at The New Inn, Rockland, however to me at least, it feels cold and sterile and nowhere near as inviting and I do tend to not go there when I can't sit outside.  

I get that it is easier and cheaper to clean a wooden floor than carpet, but it is too easy  to strip the character and warmth from a building by taking away all internal features that perhaps some people prefer.

My opinion, obviously.

• Like 3

Most of the modern refits of pubs seem too sterile to me too , the trend of light oak everywhere and light laminate flooring give the feel of a village hall .

yes a pubs atmosphere derives a lot from its clientele but also from its ambiance and I miss that traditional feeling you used to get from the older style pubs , I think all to often the pubcos forget they’re running British pubs and not European bars 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, D46 said:

Should one take that as you haven't been in the pub ? 

Btw my comments are based on personal experience not purely because I know both outgoing landlords personally .

I've been in a couple of times this year and it just doesn't float my boat, this is just my opinion but hey if it works for you.

• Like 1

Pubs should have black beams, horse brasses, a wood burning stove, random memorabilia hanging on the walls and from the ceiling. Yellowing embossed wallpaper between the beams, a carpet that is worn and smells slightly of spilled beer and curtains of a reddish colour. There should be a few friendly locals by the bar and mine host should be jovial and welcoming. There should be good draught beer, pickled eggs, crisps, peanuts and pork scratchings. a selection of lagers for the ladies and wine/spirits for those that need them. A full catering service is not essential but sandwiches of the cheese and onion/ ham and mustard varieties should be available as should good quality locally sourced pork pies. Tables in catering pubs should not be permanently regaled with place settings, but should be set up for drinking, with cutlery, table mats and menus available where needed. A selection of games, such as dominoes, cards and backgammon should be available. As well as the bar and tables, there should be a snug with a few comfy sofas and armchairs for those who wish to relax. Sky TV is not a pre-requisite, but free wifi, is always welcome.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Think theres always a place for interesting pubs.Dont want them all the same.My favourite broads pubs,in no particular order.Some for food/drink or both.The New Inn Horning (wait and see ) what it's like when reopens,The White horses,Neatishead and Chedgrave, The lion,The Ferry house Surlingham,The Yare,The locks(not been) since its had a make over.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Pubs should have black beams, horse brasses, a wood burning stove, random memorabilia hanging on the walls and from the ceiling. Yellowing embossed wallpaper between the beams, a carpet that is worn and smells slightly of spilled beer and curtains of a reddish colour. There should be a few friendly locals by the bar and mine host should be jovial and welcoming. There should be good draught beer, pickled eggs, crisps, peanuts and pork scratchings. a selection of lagers for the ladies and wine/spirits for those that need them. A full catering service is not essential but sandwiches of the cheese and onion/ ham and mustard varieties should be available as should good quality locally sourced pork pies. Tables in catering pubs should not be permanently regaled with place settings, but should be set up for drinking, with cutlery, table mats and menus available where needed. A selection of games, such as dominoes, cards and backgammon should be available. As well as the bar and tables, there should be a snug with a few comfy sofas and armchairs for those who wish to relax. Sky TV is not a pre-requisite, but free wifi, is always welcome.  

What no sawdust covered floor and spittoons:default_beerchug:

• Haha 2

Well this thread seems to have moved from the original post it seems, and with no derailing from me either :default_biggrin:

Now although not many really know this about me, but I enjoy the odd pub :default_norty:

I love the traditional and quirky features of The Bell at St Olaves just as much as I love the modern refurb of The Brundall Ram. I love the Ferry House at Surlingham and The Yare in Brundall, just like the more sterile atmosphere of The Wherry Hotel or the Lah Dee Dah of The Duke's Head at Somerleyton.

Whilst we all have our own opinions, my idea is to use them all. If we don't, we lose them, and our Broads wouldn't be quite the same without all of the wonderful bars to enjoy, so let's all get in there, whichever pub we are at, and hand over some beer tokens and just enjoy the fact we are on the rivers we all love, enjoying the pubs most of us enjoy, whether for beer, a coke, or a meal  :default_beerchug:

16 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Well this thread seems to have moved from the original post it seems, and with no derailing from me either :default_biggrin:

Now although not many really know this about me, but I enjoy the odd pub :default_norty:

I love the traditional and quirky features of The Bell at St Olaves just as much as I love the modern refurb of The Brundall Ram. I love the Ferry House at Surlingham and The Yare in Brundall, just like the more sterile atmosphere of The Wherry Hotel or the Lah Dee Dah of The Duke's Head at Somerleyton.

Whilst we all have our own opinions, my idea is to use them all. If we don't, we lose them, and our Broads wouldn't be quite the same without all of the wonderful bars to enjoy, so let's all get in there, whichever pub we are at, and hand over some beer tokens and just enjoy the fact we are on the rivers we all love, enjoying the pubs most of us enjoy, whether for beer, a coke, or a meal  :default_beerchug:

Whilst the intention is honourable, the sad reality of modern life is that beer tokens no longer grow on trees. I have to work long and hard to get any and they only seem to appear after the Mortgage tokens, electric tokens, gas tokens, water tokens, telly tokens, school uniform tokens and every other kind of tokens you can imagine have been accrued, and with a couple of pints for me and white wines for the good lady demanding in excess of twenty beer tokens in most places then I make no apology whatsoever for being extremely selective about where I choose to redeem them. 

Of course that said my preference will not be the same as every one else's, that's fine. We can't all have to same opinions or preferences but I do like a pub to be a pub, not a cheap knock off of a King's Road wine bar or a movie set from emergency ward 10. Many a good pub has been ruined by "improvement".

• Like 2

17 hours ago, VetChugger said:

You forgot a good selection of beer mats Steve!

My bad! All the tables should have an ample supply of those. I also think there is a place for beer glasses with handles and local's personal tankards hanging behind the bar. While I'm at it, a dart board would provide additional diversion, were that needed. Oh and beer should be two shillings a pint :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, stumpy said:

Every pub should have a senior gentleman, puffing on a pipe of counter shag with a pint of mild in front and an unidentifiable dog under his settle, available to give his opinion on absolutely anything!

I was going to say you've just discribed half the forum including me :default_beerchug: oops I just did :default_coat:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stumpy said:

available to give his opinion on absolutely anything!

Especially young ladies with well defined sheer, both fore and aft, and preferably broad in the beam with firm futtocks! 

Was an ancient regular at Oulton Broad's Commodore, name of Decko, always reckoned my girl friend's mini skirts were only just below sea level, if you know what he meant! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1