Pubs We Remember

Hockham Admiral

A dog that was famous for the amount of phlegm that it deposited onto crates, barrels and bottles in the pub's cellar, urghh! 

Have we lost that many Broads pubs? I do remember the Langley Wherry  then, before my time, the was a pub on the South side of the Yare at Reedham, the Cockatrice?. Potter lost a pub besides that bridge, forget its name now but never thought much of it. 

• Like 2

Three Horseshoes at Hoveton, (near Roys), Blackhorse opposite Blackhorse Broad (Hoveton Little Broad), the Chequers which was near St Benets.  I think there would have been one at Horning Upper Street somewhere as well but apart from the first two these have been long gone.

Liz

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Susan, what a character!Not been back since it's been tarted up.Hope to go this year, think I will be disappointed. 

The tarred, corrugated iron, open to the stars privvy has long since departed this planet. Not sure how dear Susan coped with that infamous structure, what with her most definitely being a lady! It's not what it was, previous landlords have all tended to be characters that matched the location.

• Like 1

The Barton Angler was Kate and I’s favorite hostelry on the Broads, great atmosphere and food, and beer straight from the barrel .

Also greatly missed is what the Bell at Salhouse used to be , a busy friendly village pub that served fantastic food and they would pick you up from the car park at the broad and take you back when you wished to go , their smoked sprats with samphire was to die for.

And yes know the White Horse Neatishead serves great food and beer nowadays but I do miss the ambience of the bikers pub it once was , I also miss Winkle and his unique hosting at The White Horse Upton not to mention the parrot telling you to F off as you went in 

The Barton Angler - used it many times (Bartan Anglia ?) Eagle at Neatished - Another tick, Bridge at Potter - Liked that one a lot. Wherry was it? at Langley Dyke.  Stracey Arms in the late 70's early 80's was a gudden too.  Petersfield House in Horning, Anchor at Coltishall.  Sigh, happy days :default_beerchug:

Chequers at St Benets - Way way before our time, although Jenny Morgan might have had a soft drink in there when he was a nipper :default_gbxhmm:

Griff

• Like 5