Pubs We Remember

Hockham Admiral

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Cringles was built by Herbert Woods as his family home. "Cringles" being how they make reef points in sails. When I knew it in the 70's it was a country club, that did great Sunday lunches. I see it is not there any more. I wonder what happened to it?

5 hours ago, w-album said:

It was knocked down and I think a Care Home is there now?   Google Streetview isn't quite so clear - maybe a housing estate?

Please see above I forgot to quote before I posted.

Screenshot_20200401-165709_Earth.thumb.jpg.c85b50a543735e08203015d360bf3d84.jpgScreenshot_20200401-165738_Earth.thumb.jpg.405422ee87f0af311d527131650362f4.jpg

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Cringles was built by Herbert Woods as his family home. "Cringles" being how they make reef points in sails. When I knew it in the 70's it was a country club, that did great Sunday lunches. I see it is not there any more. I wonder what happened to it?

5 hours ago, w-album said:

It was knocked down and I think a Care Home is there now?   Google Streetview isn't quite so clear - maybe a housing estate?

Please see above I forgot to quote before I posted.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Was it The Tavern at St Olaves long gone and now part of Anglian Yacht Brokers? I seem to remember it was keen to promote that it was a freehouse at the time with quite a selection on tap.

We nearly bought it when the whole lot was up for sale in the early 80's as a job lot. The old marina, the house next to the bridge et al but they wouldn't allow the moorings to be extended so we didn't go through with it. Just look at it now.. lol

Yes right by the side of the New cut

Queens head map.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, webntweb said:

I remember going in a bar in 1983 roughly where the 's' is in Queens in the previous post. Or was it a little further over and I'd get my feet wet today.

This one was in the shadow of the Flyover over the New cut and the Reedham- Lowestoft line

The only other one near there is The Bell at St Olaves

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, webntweb said:

The bar was in the boatyard complex. Think it was a prefabricated building, can't remember if it did food. Don't think it was there very long.

That's the one. The Queens head was at the end of the road and the Tavern half way down. Under the 'S' of the Queens is pretty accurate. The marina was considerably smaller then.

Some may remember Alan Finn the eel fishermen on the southern rivers. He lived on his boat in the corner of that marina with the eels in nets tied all round his boat. 

• Like 1

There have been 7 pubs in Ludham but now only two remain. Perhaps the one with the strangest history was The Spread Eagle. This was in the former Vicarage which then became a pub and then in 1900 it became (by a strange twist) a temperance hotel.

Then again, maybe there was an 8th pub after all. Last year I had an enquiry to the Ludham Archive asking if I knew the location of a Ludham Pub called the Carpenter's Arms. Now, this pub is mentioned in various different versions of the story of the Ludham Dragon and two different possible locations of it are given. One location is near the former Baker's Arms and maybe they are the same. However, I did have to reply to the enquirer saying that the story of the Dragon is not actually real and I got a rather cross reply saying that they knew that. Of course, one of you may know differently......

Nigel in boozy Ludham

• Like 3

Love this post Nigel (and love the Ludham archive).However, I must ask (tongue in cheek mode) whether the boozy Ludham refers to the number of pubs it used to have or are you currently having a (virtual, I’m sure) knees up?

2 hours ago, woodwose said:

There have been 7 pubs in Ludham but now only two remain. Perhaps the one with the strangest history was The Spread Eagle. This was in the former Vicarage which then became a pub and then in 1900 it became (by a strange twist) a temperance hotel.

Then again, maybe there was an 8th pub after all. Last year I had an enquiry to the Ludham Archive asking if I knew the location of a Ludham Pub called the Carpenter's Arms. Now, this pub is mentioned in various different versions of the story of the Ludham Dragon and two different possible locations of it are given. One location is near the former Baker's Arms and maybe they are the same. However, I did have to reply to the enquirer saying that the story of the Dragon is not actually real and I got a rather cross reply saying that they knew that. Of course, one of you may know differently......

Nigel in boozy Ludham

Did you ever actually identify a Carpenters Arms ?

8 hours ago, woodwose said:

One location is near the former Baker's Arms and maybe they are the same.

Not the only pub in Ludham to have a different name. When I lived there, the King's Arms was known as the Queen's Legs.

A notorious haunt of the Wherry Trust in those days!

12 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Love this post Nigel (and love the Ludham archive).However, I must ask (tongue in cheek mode) whether the boozy Ludham refers to the number of pubs it used to have or are you currently having a (virtual, I’m sure) knees up?

I meant that 7 pubs is quite a lot for a village the size of Ludham. Not that they were necessarily all open at the same time.

Grendel may also have a point because there was a time when Ludham had 3 chip shops.

Nigel in sunny Ludham

• Like 3

• 2 years later...