Boat Curtains

markey

Not an easy question to answer by the look of it. Maybe rather than anything boat specific search for any local business or person who makes curtains for homes and contact them with your own measurements.

• Like 1

Best not to use anything old as a template as it might not be terribly accurate as time, UV, heat, cold and general use will misshape it. 

This is a very manual task taking quite some time; lots of cutting involved too. Don't expect a boat-load of curtains to be cheap. Savings can be made by buying pre-made curtains from somewhere like Lathams at a good price and using them as the material. You would be amazed how much you can save in this way rather than buying raw material but be sure to select a pattern that is easily cut and joined else there will be huge wastage and no saving.  

• Like 1

The last time we replaced the curtains on Ranworth Breeze (about 4 years ago) we supplied the material after finding a pattern and colour we wanted, we could not find anything in all the suppliers pattern books. The costs for making and lining the curtains and fitting was about £450 for 8 sets of curtains. Sadly the lady that made them for us stopped making them to concentrate on her husbands electrical business.

It was Judith from Judith's Workshop who made our curtains, she used to be in Brundall but moved into her husbands workshop near Acle. 

I have just dug out the cost of the material which was £265.00.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1

Depends where you are but I was put in touch with an experianced lady here in Brundall who can either do it from new material or adjust ready made curtains to suit which was the route I took. She came to the boat, took her own measurements asked what sort of heading I wanted and took the curtains away.

I`m not going to say how much she asked for, lets just say I am very happy with the workmanship and the price.