Boat Lift Near Beccles

smitch6

Right my boat is nearing completion and it will be in the water in April hopefully.

Now the problem i have is it will need to be hi-abbed from where she is sitting near Beccles and put in the water.

does anyone know where either a hi-ab can drop a boat in the water?

or somewhere that a boat lift is available fairly reasonably priced.

i just rung galleon and they want 132.00 to lift the boat off the lorry and drop it in the water...

also does anyone know any boat transport ppl with a hi-ab?

i used GMR to deliver her but they've shut annoyingly

boat is 26' long 10' wide and weight about 3 tonne

Very often Hi-Ab drivers lift boats over the fence on Caldecott Road which runs directly alongside Oulton Broad and  then lower them directly into the water. You went along Caldecott Road the other day when you collected that fend-off. Be wary of Hi-Ab drivers,  boats really do need a driver who knows what he's doing. I've seen some nasty damage done where the straps have been poorly located. Sorry, can't help with a suitable hi-ab company.  

1 hour ago, smitch6 said:

the 132 is just to lift it off the lorry with a forklift and put it in the water

A hugely expensive forklift at that! I don't remember the exact price but there were a lot of naughts involved! It makes a doddle of the job, excellent bit of kit.   

Agree with Cambridge Cabby re the price.

The Caldecott Road option is free but what will the journey from Beccles/Ellough cost? 

wavetrade is the crane company in lowestoft, i know them very well and am awaiting a phone call from David the boss,

but i have been told they are very expensive.

as for Johnsons, he is away for a few days and i will be ringing him monday.

still after someone to collect it and take it to a boat yard for me, that seems to be the hard part

Richard at johnson will only lift of truck and drop in water he does have access to a transit with hiab crane but not big enough for boat,  who delivered it to you in first place? you could try Boatshed they sell boats privately and arrange collection, there is a large lorry with crane dont no who but could ring boatyards for info. John

£132 is a bargain. 

It's easy to criticise such costs as too few people take into account the costs of anything business related. 

We tend to look at this 15 minute process and gawp at the money leaving our accounts; it's 15 minutes of work for crying out loud! £132 for 15 minutes? You're 'aving a laugh!

We find it easy to ignore the immense cost to buy the equipment. The insurance and maintenance, the driver training and everything else associated with a business. Many of us wouldn't baulk at £3.50 for a coffee though and that's gone in minutes with absolutely nothing more than instant gratification that lasts for precisely how long? 

• Like 7