Change Of Policy At Richardsons

Tempest

My father looks forward to getting his Richardson's brochure each year, which he trawls through looking at every possible permutation of boat that would suit his needs as he isn't really much of an online user

This year he mentioned that he hadn't received his brochure, but as we were down in February we decided to call in for one only to be told, brochures are only being sent out on an "if requested" basis.

With the increase in online use I see the sense in this, picked up a brochure for dad and thought nothing more of it.

Then today I read a comment that Richardsons are no longer giving broads maps out to customers, but they are offered for sale at £3 each.

(Please note, this was a comment by a user on a Norfolk Broads Facebook page and is not verified by me)

But if this is the case, it did get me thinking about finances and hope that everything is ok at the biggest hire fleet on the broads 

Both these policy changes, if true make sound financial sense but do offer concerns about the viability, long term of the current hire market 

I fully understand this policy and wish more companies did the same to cut down on junk mail. Some time ago junk mail was highlighted and it deminished for a while but it seems to be on the increase again. We used to be members of the National Trust and the amount of loose flyers which fell out of the newsletter was beyond a joke, and it all came in a recyclable wrapper which had come from Austria!

Richardsons are on the ball with modern communications and looking at their website shows just how much they have invested there. And I would think most people would get a comprehensive guide to the Broads to thumb through long before their hire period.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Why send out maps to repeat visitors? It all makes sense to me. Perhaps Clive has an even taller, carbon mast on order that needs paying for! 

They didn't send out maps

They either gave you one at the counter or there was one on the boat with the welcome pack

Many would leave them for the next customer

Now I am told that they have to be purchased if you want one

When you take over your boat you are normally asked Have you hired a boat before, if not you will get the full treatment (Hopefully) Of how to control the boat at this point if the answer is no this is our first time , it would be good to give a map to help you in exploring the Broads on your weeks holiday, rather than good luck enjoy your holiday I hope you find your way back to us, yes I'm being sarcastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

My father looks forward to getting his Richardson's brochure each year, which he trawls through looking at every possible permutation of boat that would suit his needs as he isn't really much of an online user

This year he mentioned that he hadn't received his brochure, but as we were down in February we decided to call in for one only to be told, brochures are only being sent out on an "if requested" basis.

With the increase in online use I see the sense in this, picked up a brochure for dad and thought nothing more of it.

Then today I read a comment that Richardsons are no longer giving broads maps out to customers, but they are offered for sale at £3 each.

(Please note, this was a comment by a user on a Norfolk Broads Facebook page and is not verified by me)

But if this is the case, it did get me thinking about finances and hope that everything is ok at the biggest hire fleet on the broads 

Both these policy changes, if true make sound financial sense but do offer concerns about the viability, long term of the current hire market 

Yes it's true, Richardsons are charging £3 for a map that I paid £5 for in 2008 from Faircraft 

Ps there is no water at Womack🍺

On 08/03/2020 at 10:47, Tempest said:

Silver line dont give free map so maybe Richardsons just falling in line with others

Meanwhile back on topic , I really don't see why every boat can't be equipped with a map that is fixed , it's a one off cost and I'll be surprised if it's not in the Skipper's manual already ( but who looks at that !)  .

Other than that download one or use the Free broadcaster , I'd be surprised if most people haven't got a route planned for their holiday in the first place , how can they do that without knowing where they are going ? .

Either way Richardson's ain't a charity it's a business and in any case the charge for a map is far less than a pint , hardly something to worry over IMHO .

• Like 2

11 hours ago, D46 said:

Meanwhile back on topic , I really don't see why every boat can't be equipped with a map that is fixed , it's a one off cost and I'll be surprised if it's not in the Skipper's manual already ( but who looks at that !)  .

'Cos it will get nicked or damaged.. For example there are very few ex hire  Elysian 27's that still have their Brass Appleyard and Lincoln plate on the back edge of the  hatch..