CAR TYPE HEATER ON A BOAT.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, i`ve just been reading the topic regarding "hot air or hot water", and wondered if it was feasable to run or adapt a car type heater, but purely for use while underway?. I seem to remember a thread about this subject before, but can`t remember where. Having read a few post in the past about people using the boats heating all day as well as all night (on a hire boat though), i thought it would be a good idea to adapt a car heater to run while on the move, thus saving a possibly considerable amount of deisel. You could adapt it to flow around the whole boat, or just the daytime living areas, but turn it off while moored and using the normal system. What do you think, and has anybody ever done this?. Regards ................ Neil.

Often done Neil, even kits are available from various suppliers for stand alone or plumbing in with a diesel water heater for use when stationary. The more complex systems are controlled so that as soon as the engine coolant reaches temperature, thermostats open and use that heated coolant and when it drops below a specified level the boiler kicks in as those thermostats close. I have some plumbing circuit diagrams somewhere with all the bypasses and thermostats shown if you are thinking of doing it.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Dave, i have`nt got a boat big enough to put it in, but hiopefully in the not too distant future, i will. Thanks anyway, and should my situation change dramatically, then i`l take you up on it. Regards ....... Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
you mean like these? http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/heater-c ... 99625.html a heater matrix out of a car will do aswell :wave

Yes, that`s the sort of thing Trev, i think that`s an excellent way to heat a boat during winter cruising while under way. In fact i can`t understand why the hire fleets don`t invest in this sort of thing, as it would save a lot of fuel consumption. Also, the hot air blower for boats with outboards is a really good idea too. Now that i WOULD be interrested in for Mistral. The only thing is how many large solar panels would i need to re-charge the battery :lol: .