Potentially lethal heater installation.

I posted this a couple of years ago but seeing it somewhere else reminded me and I can’t find it on here now. As many people will be either using their heating a lot or perhaps thinking of fitting it themselves or having it fitted this is a salutary warning to have the job done and maintained properly especially in petrol boats.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/chapter2.pdf

I posted this a couple of years ago but seeing it somewhere else reminded me and I can’t find it on here now. As many people will be either using their heating a lot or perhaps thinking of fitting it themselves or having it fitted this is a salutary warning to have the job done and maintained properly especially in petrol boats.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/chapter2.pdf

David, Hi

It takes a bit of reading but is well worth the effort!

It also reinforces the complaints I made earlier this year about the sighting of diesel heater exhaust outlets on the new , higher-level, Broads Hire cruisers.

The one we were next to, at the New Inn, had it's exhaust directly pointing into our galley windows... When they started it up it literally choked us within a few minutes and we had to abandon the boat for a while. Fortunately this happened in mid morning; I dread to think of the consequences if it had been at night whilst we were asleep.......

You raise another issue there John, the number of the things installed by both pro’s and amateurs that have never had the CO levels set on installation or at service intervals is very high. Thing is when they are not set right not only is there risk of excessive CO but they coke up faster too so it’s worth checking, it can only be done properly on the boat as exhaust length and other stuff all alters the bench or factory set norm.