On Reflection

SwanR

I will write this up properly when I’m home as I am posting from my phone. But I thought that I would share a few photos of the trip so far. 

We started from Richardson’s at Stalham. 

6C0B989F-8672-4590-9E26-C340D494F6C2.thumb.jpeg.744723467c2695b8ee006bc4e80729da.jpeg

before proceeding all the way down the Ant  to moor at Ranworth. 

06C9174C-F33F-4C35-9F39-B8A68C5C938E.thumb.jpeg.530384618abe72f74a69d806041f8ff0.jpeg

Tuesday we moved on to Womack Water. And Wednesday dawned a beautiful start. 

7451F14C-40A9-4794-A688-4FEF2295B13C.thumb.jpeg.f4ea50394e7de789c342dcc8aebc2812.jpeg

We left early to make the most of the best part of the day. The wind is playing havoc with the mooring skills I thought I had!! Anyway we’re now at Sutton and staying put. Wind speeds are forecast up to 45mph overnight and tomorrow. 

B919FA1C-932B-4490-9077-D0976C483362.thumb.jpeg.c156d60b02570e59c8ccab7c64b9e8f5.jpeg

• Like 10

6 hours ago, SwanR said:

Wind speeds are forecast up to 45mph overnight and tomorrow. 

We had some of that in February! Well quite a lot! At least you have bow thrusters, they are not an essential by any means but a godsend in windy conditions. Take it steady and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Compared to February it seems (well, judging from what it’s like tonight in MK) relatively balmy. Hope it’s the same on the upper reaches of the Ant.
One good thing...having been on Moonlight Shadow during a storm, it has given us confidence that it’s not too bad on board in stormy weather. Glad we didn’t try to move off our home mooring during the worst of it though.

• Like 1

It's not as bad, I think the trick is to look at the local conditions rather than the numbers. We didn't venture South but otherwise no real problems. Mooring side on with springs reduces wind impact considerably. It's worse stern on, T shirt and all that :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

Good morning from a very breezy Sutton Staithe. Had a nightmare pinned against the bank at Ludham Bridge yesterday so planning how to escape later with boats closely moored in front and behind and the river quite narrow. Bow out, pull the stern round by the ropes and then straight ahead without the stern scraping the bank? 

3E40080E-5F4B-400C-98A8-C8B0CFABE6CC.jpeg

• Like 3

The wind can be your worst enemy or can be of great assistance, especially when solo.

You have assistance and bow thrusters so just trust yourself and take your time Jean, but you have that great big engine to help you so I'd be removing my lines, a touch of throttle forward and turn towards the bank so your (fendered) bow turns into it and your stern turns into the river, go astern when you are facing the opposite bank and back out into the channel, Mr SR can take a turn around the post at the bow and stand on the boat with the line to keep your bow in place as you swing your stern out to help too, then just flick it off when you're ready to go astern.

I've not described that well (I'm still waking up :default_biggrin:) but I'm sure you get what I mean, you do it however you feel most comfortable though, there is no right or wrong and you have done this many a time before. Trust yourself.

Have a great day

1 hour ago, Jayfire said:

I'd be removing my lines, a touch of throttle forward and turn towards the bank so your (fendered) bow turns into it and your stern turns into the river, go astern when you are facing the opposite bank and back out into the channel, Mr SR can take a turn around the post at the bow and stand on the boat with the line to keep your bow in place as you swing your stern out to help too, then just flick it off when you're ready to go astern.

That’s exactly how we get off a bank when penned in and/or on a windy day. It’s by far the best way and becomes so easy when you have done it a couple of times. Just make sure no one is racing up the river behind you when you pull out! :default_blink:

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Just make sure no one is racing up the river behind you when you pull out! :default_blink:

Yep! Been there! They usual look in amazement as they can't understand what you are doing. 

A respected Boatyard owner advised us to "reverse with attitude" ie don't mess about! Sound advice. When it's clear go for it. :default_stinky:

• Like 2

Many thanks to everyone for your sound advice. We often reverse out of moorings but the extra top tip was using the bow rope to help. Yesterday at Ludham Bridge my bow thrusters were no match for the wind. 

Anyway after a very choppy crossing on Barton Broad we have come all the way back down the Ant to Ranworth!! It will be lunch in the Maltsters before heading back up the Ant for an overnight mooring somewhere given the boat goes back tomorrow morning. 

BEFC65D1-A1A6-47CC-A334-733BB75253C0.thumb.jpeg.da25d03db08a93e31929545d529defd4.jpeg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SwanR said:

We often reverse out of moorings but the extra top tip was using the bow rope to help. 

Glad it helped you Jean

Bow thrusters can be helpful but aren't very powerful especially when dealing with a decent wind, that's the job of that big engine.

Anyway, glad you got away safe and enjoyed your cruise to Ranworth, blimey the end of your trip is coming round fast (sorry). Have a great day (and don't forget that Prosecco) :default_winko:

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

Yep! Been there! They usual look in amazement as they can't understand what you are doing. 

A respected Boatyard owner advised us to "reverse with attitude" ie don't mess about! Sound advice. When it's clear go for it. :default_stinky:

I remember we were trying to reverse out from a mooring when a boat came up quite fast clearly looking to dive into our spot. Would he give us the room to reverse out, would he heck!! Just kept trying to muscle in. 😤

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Really undecided. Depends what the weather is doing and how far we want to go. There were quite a few Ricko’s boats heading the other way up the Ant as we came down. Love Paddy’s Lane but there’s some work going on there. 

Yes Paddy’s Lane or Barton Turf, whatever the moorings are called. 

Howe Hill was empty but that was a bit too soon. Irstead was taken and there were also fishermen on the parish staithe. Have never stopped overnight at Gaye’s Staithe but ... someone was on the side on mooring. Someone else was moored side on along the stern on section and there appeared to be fishermen along the rest. Didn’t fancy trying to get in so ... made the very rough crossing over Barton Broad and slotted in here opposite the boatyard.

The moorings around the corner where we usually stop are all closed off. Looks like quay heading is being renewed.

Anyway, we’re now putting our feet up for the rest of the day. I’ll add more to this when I’m home and can get some photos etc. off my camera. And write about what we’ve done ... that won’t be very much!!  :default_norty:

• Like 1