Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

59 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Similarly I actually believe the Broads Beat officers were being equally over zealous by suggesting people could not work alone on their boats - if I get in my car, drive 5 miles to the boat to clean it, who on earth am I impacting? No one else comes to my house, in my car or in my boat - I am old but try as I might, I cannot really see the issue!

No doubt, someone will put me right!

I might be wrong MM but I think the problem is the "unnecessary journey" Motoring accidents with subsequent hospitalization is the issue. I believe they hope that fewer journeys helps the NHS. that's my take on it.

• Like 2

I note from the papers today that senior police officers, and others, are appealing for continuity and joined up thinking in the way police officers apply covid-19 enforcement measures. This may be stretching the theme of this thread a tiny bit but I couldn't resist posting this in the light of comments above.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8169709/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-police-step-away-Creme-Egg.html

Littejohn is a columnist on the Daily Mail I have followed for some time. Sometimes controversial but usually on the button.

This was published yesterday, before today's hoohah.

21 minutes ago, MotorBoater said:

I note from the papers today that senior police officers, and others, are appealing for continuity and joined up thinking in the way police officers apply covid-19 enforcement measures. This may be stretching the theme of this thread a tiny bit but I couldn't resist posting this in the light of comments above.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8169709/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-police-step-away-Creme-Egg.html

Littejohn is a columnist on the Daily Mail I have followed for some time. Sometimes controversial but usually on the button.

This was published yesterday, before today's hoohah.

We plan to do our once weekly shop at Lidl tomorrow.  It is the nearest supermarket to us.  Whilst there, if we see easter eggs on sale for the grand kids we cannot see, (and leave them on the doorstep on the way home) will we get a 'tug' from the old bill for buying what they might consider to be 'an unnecessary item'?

21 minutes ago, MotorBoater said:

A columnist who calls a spade a spade and very often writes what I have been thinking! I reckon he will currently find quite a few articles to include in his ‘you couldn’t make it up’ section. 

7 minutes ago, Happy said:

We plan to do our once weekly shop at Lidl tomorrow.  It is the nearest supermarket to us.  Whilst there, if we see easter eggs on sale for the grand kids we cannot see, (and leave them on the doorstep on the way home) will we get a 'tug' from the old bill for buying what they might consider to be 'an unnecessary item'?

As long as you are practising self distancing or whatever the term is today I dont see any problem with what you plan whatsoever.   You will bring a lot of joy, which is desperately needed at this time and also it will make you feel good.  Go for it.   Just stay safe.

Edited to say 'on the way home' isnt via Glasgow I assume.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I might be wrong MM but I think the problem is the "unnecessary journey" Motoring accidents with subsequent hospitalization is the issue. I believe they hope that fewer journeys helps the NHS. that's my take on it.

Absolutely correct. We all should take extra care to keep out of A&E and hospital. My friend in the village (who is older than me by 5 years) has mothballed his beloved 1967 MV Agusta 600 in case he takes a spill and him doing that made me postpone a chainsaw job I have to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Make a very nice slow cooked curry.

Not so slow if you grab one of the Kids running at mothers hoof!

Judith and I were driving on holiday, I974, we stayed at a roadside place in the Ordessa National Park in the Spanish Pyrennes. The menu was extremely limited but we chose what translated as "Leg of Lamb" 

When it was duly served it was just that, a full leg each, poor thing could have only been days old! However stuffed with sliced garlic and rosemary it was wonderful with a fresh tomato and leaf salad, all washed down with an unlabelled bottle of red that they kept taking away and filling up.

My road trip down there has gone for a burton this year, just got to hope that I remain in good health to try again next year.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

MM, I hope you did a working at heights assessment.

He did a Norfolk assessment.

He took a look and said "Blarst boi!  Thass a whooly long way up there, int it?"

"Moi harrt aloive!"

"Trouble with them ladders - they're always slantindikkeller!"

• Like 2

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 12:35, marshman said:

Similarly I actually believe the Broads Beat officers were being equally over zealous by suggesting people could not work alone on their boats - if I get in my car, drive 5 miles to the boat to clean it, who on earth am I impacting? No one else comes to my house, in my car or in my boat - I am old but try as I might, I cannot really see the issue!

No doubt, someone will put me right!

The National Police Chiefs Council NPCC has now issued new guidance in light of the over zealous policing of the lockdown.

Officers have been told people should not be punished for travelling a “reasonable distance” to exercise - following criticism of heavy-handed tactics used to enforce the Covid-19 lockdown in some areas. 

The new guidance, issued by the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) and the College of Policing, also states road checks on every vehicle are “disproportionate”.

It states: 

Use your judgement and common sense; for example, people will want to exercise locally and may need to travel to do so, we don’t want the public sanctioned for travelling a reasonable distance to exercise.

Road checks on every vehicle is equally disproportionate. We should reserve enforcement only for individuals who have not responded to engage, explain, and encourage, where public health is at risk.

In the light of that I would suggest that travelling a few miles to work on your own boat in isolation is reasonable. Unfortunately I live 100 miles away so shall stay put for now until the restrictions are eased in some way.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, vanessan said:

A columnist who calls a spade a spade and very often writes what I have been thinking! I reckon he will currently find quite a few articles to include in his ‘you couldn’t make it up’ section. 

I find him far too racist for my taste !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Hylander said:

They aren't 'taking over the town' , they're simply looking for the fathers of their kids :default_norty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

In the light of that I would suggest that travelling a few miles to work on your own boat in isolation is reasonable. Unfortunately I live 100 miles away so shall stay put for now until the restrictions are eased in some way.

I agree.

However I heard that Broadsbeat officers were visiting yards at the week end and telling people doing just that to go home !

1 minute ago, Poppy said:

I agree.

However I heard that Broadsbeat officers were visiting yards at the week end and telling people doing just that to go home !

Although that new advice has only just been issued, maybe Broads beat will take a new approach now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Poppy said:

I find him far too racist for my taste !

I have never thought of him as racist. I suppose it is how you interpret his writings. I find him mostly amusing, a lot of what he says is written ‘tongue in cheek’.