Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

1 hour ago, johnb said:

In yesterday’s Daily Telegraph (I think it was!) there was an article about Londoners renting holiday homes in counties (Norfolk was mentioned) and paying large amounts for long term lets. There may be a brighter side for some in the holiday trade. 

Inevitably there will be one who brings the virus with them. Local to me Southwold is an example, 60% holiday homes now and apparently many are now inhabited, mainly by older folk. Not so much holiday lets, more likely the owners fleeing the city. Should the virus hit Southwold then will the local NHS (Beccles Hospital) be able to cope with the influx over and above the local population? 

Well my post about the ferryhouse didn't last long did it!

Today she has been doing a very limited food menu for take away only with some using the outside tables, it was just Sonia and handy Andy in their today and it's all being made up as it goes along so suggest call first, no one in the bar just orders being taken from in the cafe (side door turn right), she was serving drinks for off premises and had some take away beer carriers behind the bar.

It may well change as they work out the legal and financial aspects of what is most likely to keep the pub afloat.

• Like 1

I see that Wherry Yacht Charter have suspended sailings until the end of June. A review going forward will done at the end of May.

Unusually for me I am not on any early sailings this year, my first is in August.

The wherry viewings at How Hill have also been cancelled until the end of June.

Worrying times as the sailings are their main income stream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Probably, yes. Resorts around the country are asking second home owners to stay away because of the drain on food shops locally amongst other things. Even motorhome visitors are apparently very unpopular in the Highlands. Yet a boat is a good place to self isolate, as long as you have adequate provisions. 

• Like 1

I just wonder what will happen at Easter. If people travel, especially from "hot-spot" areas like London and the West Midlands, to country areas, this will provide a golden opportunity for the virus to spread. Given that people are clearly not taking this seriously, I suspect that the Government will ban unnecessary travel in the run up to the Easter break, especially as a significant number people seem to be incapable of doing the right thing.

• Like 4

I just caught something on the news last night that a large number of irresponsibles had decended on Bridlington and a coastal resort in Lincolnshire. One of their Police and Crime Commissioners was calling for powers to act.

I think that article makes a very valid point.

"There are some morons in society who have decided this national emergency is a holiday."

I hope under some part of the forthcoming Coronavirus Bill, when it passes into law, that there is provision to deal with them.

Two edge sword this.    Saw an article about Wells Next The Sea,   mostly second home owners live there and for quite a while these houses have been occupied by  rich escapees from London and the shops are doing a roaring trade whereas at this time of year it would have been very quiet.   So I think the genie is already out of the bottle.

I think these idiots could do with a spell in the forces to teach them some discipline.   Lets face it they have been told it does not affect the young and healthy so it is a question of I am alright Jack or Jill as the case may be.   They are spoiling it for everyone.    Without your health you are nobody.   Think that should be the mantra to drive the message home.   

Agree with Vanessan on your own boat with plenty of provisions and you are healthy , good fresh air will do you no harm whatsoever.

Keep safe everyone.

• Like 3

I spoke to my neighbour this morning, who is an elf and safety consultant for a number of large food manufacturers. He said food manufacture has increased, there is no shortage, but the warehouses are already crammed. The issue is getting the stocks from the warehouses to the supermarkets to replenish the shelves cleared by THE STUPID IGNORANT BASTARDS who are stock piling for no good reason.

Edited to add: Oh good. I thought the word filter would amend my post and neuter the strong feeling I have on this particular issue.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Paladin said:

The issue is getting the stocks from the warehouses to the supermarkets to replenish the shelves cleared by THE STUPID IGNORANT BASTARDS who are stock piling for no good reason.

I couldn’t agree more with that and I’m glad the filter didn’t kick in! I doubt if any of the SIBs are members here but you never know! The message needs to get out there - don’t be selfish, there’s enough to go round if people don’t panic. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I couldn’t agree more with that and I’m glad the filter didn’t kick in! I doubt if any of the SIBs are members here but you never know! The message needs to get out there - don’t be selfish, there’s enough to go round if people don’t panic. 

I wasn't directing my comment towards members. I'm certain the number of lurkers far exceeds the membership. People who might have booked, or are thinking of booking, holidays in the region often search for information and come across related forums like this one. You absolutely right, the message MUST be driven home.

• Like 2

It seems request by supermarkets, and the government IS falling on dead ears.Yesterday.No loo rolls( although) we managed to  get two very nice Donald Trump ones,I a small shop,no.paper towels,pasta even crisps.Very welcome, most supermarkets are setting aside hours very elderly, those with health issues and emergency service personnel. My opinion for what its worth is there needs to be rationing otherwise the selfish mindless idiots will keep stripping the shelves bare.

• Like 1

This leads me to a question about what amounts a person should reasonably buy. Some go for a weekly shop others will be more or less frequent.

In Tesco's yesterday I attempted to buy 6 bottles of beer. I was only allowed 3!! hey ho, there seemed to be plenty there but there you go.

So, what level of shopping do members reckon to be acceptable.

37 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I spoke to my neighbour this morning, who is an elf and safety consultant for a number of large food manufacturers. He said food manufacture has increased, there is no shortage, but the warehouses are already crammed. The issue is getting the stocks from the warehouses to the supermarkets to replenish the shelves cleared by THE STUPID IGNORANT BASTARDS who are stock piling for no good reason.

Edited to add: Oh good. I thought the word filter would amend my post and neuter the strong feeling I have on this particular issue.

Paladin, I can honestly say, in all the years I have read your posts you have never ' raised'  your voice. The fact that you have reflects the genuine anger everyone is feeling towards the greedy and selfish in society.

• Like 5

Supermarkets are rationing (as poor MM found only being able to buy half the beer he wanted) but it must be very difficult for them. You could be shopping just for one or for a family of six. How are they to know? 
By the way MM, if you must try and buy 6 jeroboams of beer you must expect to be limited. :default_norty:🍺

43 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

This leads me to a question about what amounts a person should reasonably buy. Some go for a weekly shop others will be more or less frequent.

In Tesco's yesterday I attempted to buy 6 bottles of beer. I was only allowed 3!! hey ho, there seemed to be plenty there but there you go.

So, what level of shopping do members reckon to be acceptable.

Marina and myself have not shopped any more then normal, since this madness started. That said items that we buy every few weeks are hard to come by.Not been able to get tomato puree for about  three weeks. Of course loo rolls are like gold dust.We often use flora,large tub,only small ones in the shops.IF we all just buy what we need there will be enough for everyone. 

5 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Marina and myself have not shopped any more then normal, since this madness started. That said items that we buy every few weeks are hard to come by.Not been able to get tomato puree for about  three weeks. Of course loo rolls are like gold dust.We often use flora,large tub,only small ones in the shops.IF we all just buy what we need there will be enough for everyone. 

Yes Ian, but that's the point. I have health issues (type 2 diabetes) the elderly lady is in her 90s and my friend has just had major surgery. If any one of us goes anywhere near it, we will have to put ourselves in quarantine for at least 14 days. Should I prepare for that eventuality? should I try to acquire sufficient non perishables to last for that period?

I honestly don't know how to prepare. Home delivery slots are booked to the hilt.

I don't want to be greedy, I do want to consider other peoples requirements as well as our own and I am not panic buying, but I want to know what is thought acceptable and what is not. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Yes Ian, but that's the point. I have health issues (type 2 diabetes) the elderly lady is in her 90s and my friend has just had major surgery. If any one of us goes anywhere near it, we will have to put ourselves in quarantine for at least 14 days. Should I prepare for that eventuality? should I try to acquire sufficient non perishables to last for that period?

I honestly don't know how to prepare. Home delivery slots are booked to the hilt.

I don't want to be greedy, I do want to consider other peoples requirements as well as our own and I am not panic buying, but I want to know what is thought acceptable and what is not. 

John, there has been an announcement that delivery arrangements are being made for the most at risk, those being      ' shielded'

The list is not the same as those who are vulnerable.

2 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Paladin, I can honestly say, in all the years I have read your posts you have never ' raised'  your voice. The fact that you have reflects the genuine anger everyone is feeling towards the greedy and selfish in society.

For Mrs P and me, this could, quite literally, be a matter of life or death. but I can still retain a sense of humour

• Like 1

Chris - that decision by Wherry Yacht has been taken by Wherry owners across the board, I believe.

In the circumstances the right one but it does not pay the bills! Business rate relief will help a bit as will the policy to pay 80% of wages, but voluntary organisations will suffer especially as lots of volunteers automatically fall into at risk categories - although to be fair consumption of biscuits might fall substantially!!!!! 

• Like 1