Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

With foreign travel having a big question mark over it for the time being, it does seem likely that the UK may see a considerable increase in ‘staycations’ this year. (That is of course assuming things get going in good time.) Staycations could well be more popular next year too while things settle down. That has to be good news for UK holiday resorts and associated businesses but could create a lot of pressure if people start flooding into localities without any thought for anyone else. Norwich for example appears to have fared quite well in the great scheme of things with 5 COVID19 related deaths per 100,000 population, compare that to London at 86 per 100,000. It would surely be quite understandable if areas like Norfolk, Devon, Cornwall, Lake District etc etc were reticent to accept free movement again in the short term. By their very nature, it would be nice to think that boating activities could start up again sooner rather than later but somehow I think it will be a while yet. 

Learn how to cook on a boat.

Easy

Tin of Stew and tinned potatoes

Fray Bentos Snake and Kidderly pie and tinned potatoes

Pot Noodles.

Tinned typhoid Sarnies 

Useful hint, when it is brown it is down, when black it is b*ggered

:default_icon_cool:

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

Is that even possible? I was told that the best pubs are so busy at peak times that you can't always guarantee getting a mooring?

If all else fails phone the Chinese in horning,  they deliver,  as do some other takeaways.. 

One weeks meals on a boat...    how basic can you get....   well here goes.

Baking potatoes - tins of chilli - grated cheese - 1/2 lb butter for the spuds.

Large tin of Heinz tomato soup, tinned of new potatoes , tin of vegetables of choice - chunky bread - more grated cheese

Fray Bentos Pies or Puds , home made chips (made from baking potatoes , cut into chips, par boil , baked in oven with a dash of oil, and baked beans

Tins of chicken supreme -  Basmati Rice (the boil in the bag type)

Large tin of ham - eggs and home made chips again.

5 days and if you are staying for 7 then I am sure you can find a shop to serve you with fresh whatever you fancy.

Long life milk.

All very mundane but none of it needs a fridge or freezer, except the butter needs to be kept in a fridge.

An ice cream container of frozen chilli is a good thing. It takes a couple of days to thaw out in the fridge and keeps your cool box cold on the way to the boat. If you can get to Roys and the locals haven't snaffled them all, you can get a big vacuum packed lump of cooked ham for around £5.50. These keep for several days in the fridge and we get 3-4 meals off one.  Eggs keep for weeks on a boat too,   If you travel up the A140 as we do, the Walnut Tree at Thorpe does an excellent range of frozen ready vegetarian meals, which can be picked up on the way, subject to their being open and appropriate social distancing being maintained. I reckon that, with that lot, a Chinese takeaway thrown in midweek, and bread/milk from local shops you could easily last for a week. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteveO said:

An ice cream container of frozen chilli is a good thing. It takes a couple of days to thaw out in the fridge and keeps your cool box cold on the way to the boat. If you can get to Roys and the locals haven't snaffled them all, you can get a big vacuum packed lump of cooked ham for around £5.50. These keep for several days in the fridge and we get 3-4 meals off one.  Eggs keep for weeks on a boat too,   If you travel up the A140 as we do, the Walnut Tree at Thorpe does an excellent range of frozen ready vegetarian meals, which can be picked up on the way, subject to their being open and appropriate social distancing being maintained. I reckon that, with that lot, a Chinese takeaway thrown in midweek, and bread/milk from local shops you could easily last for a week. 

Now that is more like it.    I personally would not want to live out of tins for a week.   Especially if you struggle to get the tin opener to work - hm!!  Robin!!!!

Try living on an open boat for a week! Neither eggs nor margarine need a fridge. Tinned luncheon meet fries up a treat, as do tinned spuds. Porridge is a staple doddle. German rye bread doesn't know the meaning of stale and with a cup of flour dampers are a doddle. UHT milk is a godsend, as are Mars Bars. So long as I have gas, a box of matches, water and a tin opener then I can eat surprisingly well.  I'm on a boat, I don't expect other than 'boat' catering, love it!  One mini barbecue, one gas ring and a bucket to wash up in, that's my galley!  Tinned pilchards with a poached egg on a damper, yummy! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteveO said:

An ice cream container of frozen chilli is a good thing. It takes a couple of days to thaw out in the fridge and keeps your cool box cold on the way to the boat

yes, a vote for chilli from me,  if i am going on my own i usually take plenty for 3 or 4 meals

heat in a saucepan and eat with a couple of slices of bread and butter,   i always have mine out of the pan i heated it in,  then you only have the pan, spoon and the knife you buttered the bread with to wash up,  :default_laugh:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I can't find any reference to that Peter, can you point me in the right direction.

I read it on the BBC News Channel this evening although it now appears to have become buried among all the other comment. It was conditional, as you might expect, certainly not a free for all but was clearly a limited consent.

It would be a nightmare, I managed to get  two sales through on 3rd April, solicitors and agents were shutting up as they couldn't social distance and mortgage providers couldn't guarantee funds coming through.

Who will seriously consider selling a house in the next 12 months with all the uncertainty.