Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

1 hour ago, VetChugger said:

Mr Plod in attendance at Lathams in numbers! People desperately trying to buy armfulls of tat??

Perhaps Mr Plod was there to buy his tomato seeds or whatever.

In fairness to Lathams/QD their garden centres are very good. 

Ok, today's news is that although the lock-down has been slightly relaxed, beauty spots are asking people to stay away. This has had me wondering what and how I'm going to do when I can return to my boat for longer stays than at present.

My plan as it currently stands is to take a fortnights supplies and stay on the "wild side" for the first two weeks in a form of self imposed quarantine. Not necessarily necessary but it has lead to some interesting planning and logistics. (I'm not sure that the grammar police will like "necessarily necessary" but I did!) 

Nyx has certain limitations. It has no oven. The cooking facilities are limited to the gas cooker having two rings and a grill, and I have a barbeque. For my entertainment I have a TV, I will have a radio and I have binoculars. More than enough for me!

So, apart from copious quantities of booze, what would members take by way of food to last 2 weeks without any access to shops?

PS, My fridge is broken too!!! 

• Like 1

I fear your biggest problem is the lack of working fridge, how you going to keep the beer cold!

My first thoughts on the food front are mostly based around rice and pasta which can then be cooked on the stove and stored at room temp. Marks and Spencers do some very reasonable tins of curry which can be heated on the stove and poured over rice. Could you use the BBQ and wrap a potato in tin foil to cook a jacket potato, then top with beans, or chilli or curry.

Blacks sell a range of camping food which is cooked ready to eat or can be heated and stores at room temperature. I though Mountain Warehouse did as well, but cannot find it on their website.

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/cooking-eating/camping-food/

4 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I fear your biggest problem is the lack of working fridge, how you going to keep the beer cold!

My first thoughts on the food front are mostly based around rice and pasta which can then be cooked on the stove and stored at room temp. Marks and Spencers do some very reasonable tins of curry which can be heated on the stove and poured over rice. Could you use the BBQ and wrap a potato in tin foil to cook a jacket potato, then top with beans, or chilli or curry.

Blacks sell a range of camping food which is cooked ready to eat or can be heated and stores at room temperature. I though Mountain Warehouse did as well, but cannot find it on their website.

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/cooking-eating/camping-food/

Keeping beer cool would be in the same way as before craft had fridges - dangled in the river - you will have plenty of sanitisers to clean the neck before drinking! (Just not too much beer as this beverage is the cause of many falling in incidents with tragic consequences)

I was going to suggest pre cooking some meals,when we're on the boat for two weeks I always  cook meals to go in the oven.I think some take aways are opening.Many available on line check food availability from.pubs on the broads.Tims of soup,selection  of fruit and veg.Pasta, rice,stock cubes.Tinned meats ie corned beef.hope that helps.

Ian.

15 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

rice and pasta which can then be cooked on the stove and stored at room temp

Not sure it’s a good idea to ‘store’ rice at room temperature, it’s a bacterial disaster according to many hygiene experts. Lots of good suggestions there though, living on tins, packets etc for two weeks wouldn’t hurt anyone - some do it all the time! I think you can get small electric cool boxes too. These can run off 24v when you are cruising and would help to keep milk, butter etc cool for a while. I know boaters who do that. 

Just now, vanessan said:

Not sure it’s a good idea to ‘store’ rice at room temperature, it’s a bacterial disaster according to many hygiene experts. Lots of good suggestions there though, living on tins, packets etc for two weeks wouldn’t hurt anyone - some do it all the time! I think you can get small electric cool boxes too. These can run off 24v when you are cruising and would help to keep milk, butter etc cool for a while. I know boaters who do that. 

Yep, wrong way round, not what I meant. You can store them at room temperature as in you don't need a fridge, before you cook them.

8 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Yep, wrong way round, not what I meant. You can store them at room temperature as in you don't need a fridge, before you cook them.

That makes perfect sense, rice and pasta are good ‘fillers’. 

2 minutes ago, vanessan said:

That makes perfect sense, rice and pasta are good ‘fillers’. 

I think it's the main reason why there was such a run on clearing the shelves at the start of the pandemic. Thankfully stocks are returning to normal in the supermarkets and Morrisons are still doing the special offers on Uncles Bens microwave rice at a £1 a packet. No good for MM with no microwave on board, but good to see the supermarkets still offering the discounts.

NEVER  NEVER  keep rice at room temperature for any length  of time.Best to cook from raw and eat .At work we are not allowed to reheat rice also.It only takes 10,15 minutes to cook.Rice has a very bad form of food poisoning, which can be life threatening!As peter said eggs are very good.

Never mind the beef single malt.I like mind straight, no ice or water.There is a little  Scotch in me,sometimes alot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I think it's the main reason why there was such a run on clearing the shelves at the start of the pandemic. Thankfully stocks are returning to normal in the supermarkets and Morrisons are still doing the special offers on Uncles Bens microwave rice at a £1 a packet. No good for MM with no microwave on board, but good to see the supermarkets still offering the discounts.

Those microwave packets can be heated on a stove top (the contents that is, not the packets themselves!). Just add a small amount of water so it doesn’t dry out. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Corned beef and hot-dogs are a godsend! Eat them raw so to speak, fry or grill it, it's hard to spoil! Eggs keep for weeks so a fry up can be good!

Corned beef hash can be cooked on the hob. Corned beef, baked beans, chopped onions and some diced (tinned) potatoes. Season with worcester sauce. Yum !

• Like 1

Staple food boating years ago. Pot noodles-lots of them! Tinned hot dog sausages, tinned hamburgers (they are really bad) and onions. Beer cooled in the bilges, at the time a beer called Trent bitter because it was cheap, and we decided it was the Trent!!

Is the green hue covering Nyx edible, should keep you going for a while and count as one of your five a day......

• Haha 2

Another energy standby is Peanut Butter but I try not to buy it as I have an addiction for it. Like a wino necking from a bottle, I shove a a spoonful in my mouth every time I open the cupboard.

During one of my bad episodes when I could not leave it alone I did some research on the Supermarket shelf. There are all sorts of peanut butters with healthy sounding names but it appears only "SunPat" is 100% peanut, ie peanuts and peanut oil. The others seem to use Palm Oil.

Anyway as a recovering peanutbutterolic I better not talk about it as I want to my BMI below 50.

• Haha 1

Questions, How many hot-dogs in a tin and how long do they keep after being opened?

Right, My self quarantine shopping list. I'd better have a list of hates too.

The hates list is pretty short as I'm happy with most things

Spam (pork luncheon meat),  Peanut butter.

Shopping list,

Staples, Rice, Pasta, Flour Veg oil, Olive oil, Tins of peas, sweetcorn, carrots, potatoes, Packets Smash, Rennies

Breakfasts.  Eggs (30),   Hot-dogs (subject to keep-time), Cereal (2 large boxes), Fruit juice (3 litres),  Long life milk (7 pints), Baked Beans (6 tins or 12 small ones), Kippers (3 tins)

Lunches, Cheese selection, Crackers, Pickled onions, Branston. 

Dinners, Corned Beef (5 tins), Salmon (2 tins),  Pilchards (1 tin) Minced Beef (3 tins), Curry (3 tins), Chicken (3 tins)

Snacks, Packet soup (10 pkts), Pringles (5 tubes).

I'd better start saving now!

What would you change?