Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

24 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Questions, How many hot-dogs in a tin and how long do they keep after being opened?

Right, My self quarantine shopping list. I'd better have a list of hates too.

The hates list is pretty short as I'm happy with most things

Spam (pork luncheon meat),  Peanut butter.

Shopping list,

Staples, Rice, Pasta, Flour Veg oil, Olive oil, Tins of peas, sweetcorn, carrots, potatoes, Packets Smash, Rennies

Breakfasts.  Eggs (30),   Hot-dogs (subject to keep-time), Cereal (2 large boxes), Fruit juice (3 litres),  Long life milk (7 pints), Baked Beans (6 tins or 12 small ones), Kippers (3 tins)

Lunches, Cheese selection, Crackers, Pickled onions, Branston. 

Dinners, Corned Beef (5 tins), Salmon (2 tins),  Pilchards (1 tin) Minced Beef (3 tins), Curry (3 tins), Chicken (3 tins)

Snacks, Packet soup (10 pkts), Pringles (5 tubes).

I'd better start saving now!

What would you change?

The problem with hot dogs from a tin, in fact this is probably going to be true for most tinned products it that once opened they will keep for a few days if stored in a fridge. Without a fridge I think it's a case of keep as cool as you can and eat that day. For that reason I would be tempted to swap your tinned carrots and potatoes for fresh carrots and new potatoes and keep in a cool dark cupboard somewhere near the water line.

• Like 1

I do wonder just how good the seal on the lock and seal containers is? They are meant to be airtight, so presumably water tight as well. Could half a tin of hot dogs be transferred to one and then weighed down in the river with the beer to keep cool?

I'm sooo glad I splashed out for a decent fridge on my boat, especially as the old one is now in my back room acting as the beer fridge while the pubs are shut, it's doing a cracking job on 240v but was a bit hefty on 12v despite being a compressor type (old school compressor not modern danfoss).

Gotta buy a 12v telly now though, didn't want to put one on this boat but with pubs shut I'm not going to lower myself to reading books, that's for those educated types not us plebs! I spotted a reasonable looking fergusson that comes with cigarette lighter type adaptor that should cope with automotive voltages and battery chargers and it's made in UK, prolly all chinese components but at least the labour can be spent here.

10 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I do wonder just how good the seal on the lock and seal containers is? They are meant to be airtight, so presumably water tight as well. Could half a tin of hot dogs be transferred to one and then weighed down in the river with the beer to keep cool?

We use them in both Poppy and the caravan for instant coffee and tea bags. . We have had problems in the past with keeping coffee , but they have solved the issue entirely.

Don’t forget that once a carton of long-life milk is opened, it needs to be kept cool. 
If you like spicy, herby or hot food, take some seasonings with you. It’s surprising what a difference just a pinch or a sprinkle can make to a dish. 
No baked beans on your list?

• Like 1

Lidl does some very good frankfurters in jars which are good, plus you can take out what you want and then put the lid back on to store the remainder. Vesta do an excellent paella & beef curry, available from Amazon. The other staple is carp, the monks at St Bennet's were very partial to them. Ducks, geese and swans are a good standby. Don't forget to top up your gas bottle. Re Nyx's patina, perhaps it could reasonably support a decent crop of cress if not tomatoes or even potatoes? 

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Questions, How many hot-dogs in a tin and how long do they keep after being opened?

Right, My self quarantine shopping list. I'd better have a list of hates too.

The hates list is pretty short as I'm happy with most things

Spam (pork luncheon meat),  Peanut butter.

Shopping list,

Staples, Rice, Pasta, Flour Veg oil, Olive oil, Tins of peas, sweetcorn, carrots, potatoes, Packets Smash, Rennies

Breakfasts.  Eggs (30),   Hot-dogs (subject to keep-time), Cereal (2 large boxes), Fruit juice (3 litres),  Long life milk (7 pints), Baked Beans (6 tins or 12 small ones), Kippers (3 tins)

Lunches, Cheese selection, Crackers, Pickled onions, Branston. 

Dinners, Corned Beef (5 tins), Salmon (2 tins),  Pilchards (1 tin) Minced Beef (3 tins), Curry (3 tins), Chicken (3 tins)

Snacks, Packet soup (10 pkts), Pringles (5 tubes).

I'd better start saving now!

What would you change?

Can I ask what is Flour?     If you can find any perhaps you could inform Sainsburys and Tescos.  I have been trying for 6 weeks to buy with my on line delivery SR flour.      I mean,  how come there is no flour.

(creamer gives me gout)   , that is no creamer ,   that is Port.

our Asda at 9.30 this morning had about 20 bags of sr flour, lidls had a whole stack of plain flour and about 10 bags of bread flour, asda are also bagging up flour from the bakery in 1Kg packs for sale, i guess if you have an early morning delivery, you might get some.

Morrisons bakery counters will sell bags of flour for 60p or 16kg bags for £9. The problem is not a shortage of flour, but a shortage of packaging lines to bag it into the smaller bags sold in supermarkets. Since the lock down more people have been baking at home therefore demand for bags of flour has gone up. Only about 3% of flour gets bagged and sold in the supermarket normally. the rest goes to bakers and the catering trade.

I have been trying to work out my booze requirements too. I reckon I'm going to average between 4 and 6 pints a day so say 5! That's 70 bottles!!! A bottle of wine lasts me 2 days (so that's 7, call it 10) and I reckon a litre each of Whiskey and Gin. I also drink Pernod, Southern Comfort, and Seville Gin. 5 bottles of Port and of course 2 litres of Rum for the coffee.

I know that sounds a lot, but I will have to make it last two weeks. 

• Like 1

Just now, MauriceMynah said:

I have been trying to work out my booze requirements too. I reckon I'm going to average between 4 and 6 pints a day so say 5! That's 70 bottles!!! A bottle of wine lasts me 2 days (so that's 7, call it 10) and I reckon a litre each of Whiskey and Gin. I also drink Pernod, Southern Comfort, and Seville Gin. 5 bottles of Port and of course 2 litres of Rum for the coffee.

I know that sounds a lot, but I will have to make it last two weeks. 

With a tendancy to gout ?  :default_eusa_naughty: