Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

I just want to say good luck. It's your disregard and ignorance that will increase your risk of catching it.. There will be a second peak thus you must get in the routine of wearing gloves and/or using hand sanitizer after you touch anything another human has touched. I suspect from your wisdom that you are an elderly person therefore statistically your risk of death has increased further.. I strongly urge you to follow the government's guidance closely. Stay safe.

Simon - and gate latches!!!!!! I accept that there must be the minutest of risk, if you say so, but if you accept there is a risk you have to be able to quantify it. And you cannot!
When this issue of mooring side on at Ranworth came up, there were some who quite seriously believed there was a risk of catching it off mooring posts and ropes. Its all very well saying these things but its from these innocuous statements that the fear that is rampant arises - there just is not a quantifiable risk involved. And to add to that, remember it is only a very small number of people who catch Covid 19 who have severe symptoms and many have none at all, and the measurable risk decreases further still! However, I shall now not touch the latch at my marina now - there isn't a gate - but oh dear I need some water tomorrow, will the tap be ok?
I guess not !!!!
But we do need to accept change - we have to live with it especially as my expectation is, it is not just going to disappear. Sadly!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 4

Irrespective of how we feel about the degree of risk one thing that cannot be denied nor misinterpreted  is that there is a real risk of contracting covid-19 and yes a majority of those who do catch it may suffer little or no symptoms but almost 40,000 people to date in this country have died where covid-19 has been a contributing factor, I’m sure their surviving friends and families don’t feel there is minimal risk.

I was and am one of those who feels the stern mooring ruling at Ranworth is a bit  OTT as it is still possible to keep the recommended 2m distancing but will abide by the BA ruling .

When venturing out I follow the original guidelines of frequent hand washing , hand sanitiser when running water not available and avoiding close contact with those outside my household , provided the general public still adhere to these basic rules the spread of Covid-19 will continue to decline .

What we do have to acknowledge is the potential for the knock-on risk of creating psychological problems for many people especially those living alone who are now deprived of any social contact , if you have a friend or family member who falls into this category may I ask that with the U.K. government now permitting garden visits you pop round for a chat (social distancing yourselves of course), similar goes with those neighbours whom may well be feeling isolated.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, grendel said:

the one thing i find ludicrous is at te supermarket just inside the door they provide the equipment to clean your trolley handles, of course by the time you get to this point, you have been queuing outside with the trolley for 20 minutes.

Went to Lathams yesterday for a single battery. I HAD to take a trolley to be allowed in. Not the guy on the doors fault, but as I said to him "you as a store are forcing me to handle this and increasing my exposure risk"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

When asked about reopening childrens playgrounds today, the medic said not yet, children sneeze and spread snot all over the place. She was of the opinion  that the virus can survive on objects outside.

There is no telling who has wiped snot all over a latch or water hose. This risk will continue to exist but can be reduced by hand sanitiser or hand washing, a very easy precaution to take.

Shame there isnt a erg yuk comment thingy that you can tick.    Do you have to be so graphic?

22 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

Went to Lathams yesterday for a single battery. I HAD to take a trolley to be allowed in. Not the guy on the doors fault, but as I said to him "you as a store are forcing me to handle this and increasing my exposure risk"

My recent experience of Lathams/QD is that their staff sanitize the handles and rims of trolleys. That aside, clean your hands! 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

My local garden centre has the same policy. They have removed a lot of the trolleys and are using the remaining ones to control the number of people going into the store. Once there are no more trolleys left you cannot go in until one has been returned. A simple and effective way of ensuring the maximum number of people inside at any one time. In contrast my local Sainsburys has someone standing at the door. Any time they disappear inside for whatever reason, even if told to wait one or two people will still go in anyway, or they get chatting to someone in the queue and three people walk out behind them and still they haven't let anyone in, until prompted by others in the queue.

Being forced to take a trolley might increase your risk. Going into a crowded store where the number of people hasn't been properly controlled would increase it even further. Off course looking after your own safety by keeping hand sanitiser or wipes with you is the best way forward!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

and are using the remaining ones to control the number of people going into the store. Once there are no more trolleys left you cannot go in until one has been returned. A simple and effective way of ensuring the maximum number of people inside at any one time.

Now that makes sense - if I'd been told that I'd have been happier. This is the first real store I've been in since lockdown started

Jaws - thank you for your concern, and I thank those who have expressed concern! I don't treat the issue lightly at all but I believe that the judgements I have made, and in all the circumstances, are the correct ones. And I have just remembered, its a brass tap as well so that reduces the risk further!

Equally, I don't believe I take unnecessary risks - thats my judgement and we will see!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RumPunch said:

pushing a trolley also means you have to be a trolley length away from anyone in front of you, maintaining the social distancing.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, marshman said:

Simon - and gate latches!!!!!! I accept that there must be the minutest of risk, if you say so, but if you accept there is a risk you have to be able to quantify it. And you cannot!

Really? I can't quantify the risk of an RTA, a wildfire, lightning strike or breaking a glass in the sink and slicing my finger half open (yes, I have done this). I accept there are risks to putting my shoes on each morning as I *might* put my back out but I don't sit there contemplating the possibility or likelihood. I once lost my finger to a pulley on a running engine; I would have said, before hand, that the chances of this existed but were minimal though a moment of stupidity was all it took. Never looked back and thought "oh, i must quantify that some day". I doubt I'll make the same mistake again though. 

As for gate latches, yep, they are metal, the virus is KNOWN to be able to live for up to 72 hours on external metal surfaces (surely you accept this is a given), and therefore, infection is possible. And I don't have to quantify it, I just need to be aware (ALERT even) of the possibilities. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, marshman said:

Jaws - thank you for your concern, and I thank those who have expressed concern! I don't treat the issue lightly at all but I believe that the judgements I have made, and in all the circumstances, are the correct ones. And I have just remembered, its a brass tap as well so that reduces the risk further!

Equally, I don't believe I take unnecessary risks - thats my judgement and we will see!

We all suffer from this problem: the often mistaken belief that our thinking is right and that our mind isn't for changing.

It gets much worse though when this attitude spills into giving advice that may put others at risk. 

We've seen a not too dissimilar thing in government over the last two weeks.....

• Like 3

13 hours ago, marshman said:

Or not worry about it as I will have just driven to the boat in my highly dangerous motor car and wandered about my deck without a life jacket on!!!!

when you are driving your car you can see the hazards to avoid , when you dont wear your life jacket, technically you can see the trip hazards and know when not to step back over the side, how do you propose to avoid something that cannot be seen, resting on something that looks no different to last time you touched it.

• Like 6

This has been a very interesting thread with varied opinions, my opinion for what its worth is that life is mapped out for you from the day you are born, if you have a full fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep, you are wealthier than 75% of the worlds population. we are very lucky to have been given a ticket that has not expired yet, but it will, and when your God says its time, you're going. You can approach your gate latches wearing welders mask and gloves if you want..........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lastdraft said:

This has been a very interesting thread with varied opinions, my opinion for what its worth is that life is mapped out for you from the day you are born, if you have a full fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep, you are wealthier than 75% of the worlds population. we are very lucky to have been given a ticket that has not expired yet, but it will, and when your God says its time, you're going. You can approach your gate latches wearing welders mask and gloves if you want..........

I see where you are coming from but you do have choices and if you are lucky you can lead a long and healthy life.  Not going to say happy because one thing I cannot abide is these people who insist on asking , hope your day is awesome, whatever that is supposed to mean.   I think the awesome gene passed me by.    It is like these folk who , say, old so and so , he or she had a good innings , he or she lived to be 86, you say that to me when I am 85.     I like you do believe when your number is up it is up and from what I can see God only really wants good folk up there with him.

Just be careful that is all we can do.

I absolutely agree that the decisions and choices we make in life effect the quality of life we live, but, ultimately ................

PS I hope you live as long as you want to, and you're in heaven half an hour before the Devil knows you're dead.

17 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Under new Coronavirus regulations, sex during lockdown with someone from outside your household is illegal from today.

Not going to be a problem in Beccles then....  :default_norty:.

Wish it was allowed with someone in your household under wife domestic regulations let alone corona virus regulations 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3