Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

B

1 minute ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Frowned upon or not allowed? Your right to point out that this thread is about Corona virus and The Broads, so why are any posts left unedited that either defend the governments actions, or those that slate the governments actions. The government of the day is a Conservative government. Such discussions are inevitably about party politics as well.

I have personally chosen not to post much for the last couple of weeks, because way too many posts have become political and I've chosen to self moderate and not add to that unnecessary debate on this forum. I wish others would consider their political posts even if they are veiled political debates. 

currently if we removed every post that mentioned politics, then we would be removing most of them, we have tended to be more relaxed and allow people to vent, but that only goes so far, and there comes a point where a post goes over even the relaxed guidelines, this is why some are getting through and others are being hidden, life as a moderator isnt easy, we dont want to stifle discussion, but we must also keep it within limits.

• Like 6

Just now, grendel said:

B

currently if we removed every post that mentioned politics, then we would be removing most of them, we have tended to be more relaxed and allow people to vent, but that only goes so far, and there comes a point where a post goes over even the relaxed guidelines, this is why some are getting through and others are being hidden, life as a moderator isnt easy, we dont want to stifle discussion, but we must also keep it within limits.

Would just be nice if a few more respected those limits and thought twice before they posted. They aren't the only ones with political views, just that some of us chose to show self restraint.

• Like 2

At some point, hopefully in the not too distant future, the good people of Broadland are going to have to make a decision.

Do they welcome out-of-towners like me for the sake of the local economy, or do we get the cold shoulder as some kind of protest in fear of the virus.

That is why it's not either or, it's both and always has been. I, for one, would appreciate guidance on this, to know what to expect. I have always tried to support the local economy wherever I am and nothing previously encountered leads me to think there will be a problem but one or two previous comments make me think some people might have a problem.

Incidentally the attempts to talk politics without being seen to be political have been entertaining to say the least. I wouldn't be a moderator on this forum at present for all the proverbial tea in China. Big thanks to them for their efforts.

I think the 50,000 excess deaths needs to taken under advisement (And subsequently the 39,000+) if only because because of the number of times the way it is calculated has changed. It may be less, it may well be more. If you are quoting 10,000 unexplained deaths please bear in mind that around here GPs and others have expressed concern at the way casualties from cancer, copd, heart problems etc. have been recorded, or not.

Every death is a tragedy but bear in mind that the original projection, which still stands, is that no, or little, action would result in 500,000 deaths.

Guys and gals, give the politics a rest. Changing the leaders won't change the advice. I think anyone could make mistakes and I accept it is our right to moan when they do, just change the record, the needle is getting stuck.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think we should vote for doubling the moderators wages (2x0 = 0)

as for how we will be accepted once we start heading back, well some of the locals might not like it, while others will welcome the business and trade, i think we will have to accept that we wont be universally welcomed, and will just have to do the best we can not to do anything that will make the locals consider us a threat. if we treat the area as some have treated the seaside, leaving rubbish all over, we will of course be made unwelcome, respect is a two way thing.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, MotorBoater said:

At some point, hopefully in the not too distant future, the good people of Broadland are going to have to make a decision.

Do they welcome out-of-towners like me for the sake of the local economy, or do we get the cold shoulder as some kind of protest in fear of the virus.

Incidentally the attempts to talk politics without being seen to be political have been entertaining to say the least. I wouldn't be a moderator on this forum at present for all the proverbial tea in China. Big thanks to them for their efforts.

Guys and gals, give the politics a rest. Changing the leaders won't change the advice. I think anyone could make mistakes and I accept it is our right to moan when they do, just change the record, the needle is getting stuck.

1. Give it time and it will all settle down. On the local talk sites people are scared.

2. As a mod on a plumbers forum where anything goes and I do mean anything including insults, we keep  politics out of it full stop so I agree with you

3. Totally agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's also worth remembering that virus transmission is a two way street. London having peaked earlier than the rest of the country now has one of the lower transmission rates. Would the Londoners want to go to Broadland where there is more chance of picking up the virus? :default_norty:

22 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

It's also worth remembering that virus transmission is a two way street. London having peaked earlier than the rest of the country now has one of the lower transmission rates. Would the Londoners want to go to Broadland where there is more chance of picking up the virus? :default_norty:

For the rest of our lives we are going to 'get it - not get it' , it is just going to be one of those things.   Life has to go on and it will just be one of those things we have to live with unfortunately.    There is no cure for the common cold , only remedies to relieve it, same with the flu.    We have a jab but it only protects against a bad dose of flu.   This will be the same.

It’s really unfortunate if people are still feeling that they’re not happy about visitors from other areas. It would be lovely for us to come up even if only for a day and support businesses like the Broads pubs that are providing takeaway lunches and refreshments. If everyone keeps to the rules then our potential exposure to the virus will be kept as low as possible while we all start to settle into the new normal. 

On 01/06/2020 at 09:40, Smoggy said:

Copper does not kill viruses in the same way it does with bacteria, maybe your risk assessment is flawed.

From what I heard on the radio today I may be piddling up the wrong tree completely with that statement, not sure who it was they were talking to so don't take my wrongness as a fact, but many have said "you're just wrong!" to me many times before.(and probably will again)

Don't worry Smoggy. You are not a nut case - if the erstwhile Smithsonian Institute says that copper surfaces kill the Covid19 virus in around 4 hours,  I would tend to feel that belief confirmed!

Unless, of course Trump has removed an odd Director or two and withdrawn funding but even so I would be tempted to believe them!!!

Looks like some places are opening up for day boat hire from Monday.....

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
I was just going to post as seen on Instagram. Shame for the businesses that the weather has changed back to 'winter'!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I haven't spoken to Barnes, but I did hear that they and some others were gearing up for a start. 

I have spoken to the BA and there is not current approval from Defra for this to happen, though the department is expected to issue some guidance soon.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that the wider public had been told before a government authority.

I noticed yesterday, and this morning, that Barnes, NBD and Herbert Woods were shuffling day boats about and assumed a desire to take advantage of the relaxation in regulations so far. Natural enough.

I have also noticed a shuffling around in a few of Woods larger boats, this might be normal maintenance but they don't seem to have touched them for weeks, why start now ?

Might be wishful thinking but no harm in hoping, especially if Mr Banner has been told some guidance is coming soon !

The new regulations for opening car showrooms also specifically confirms boatyards and hire boats can operate but only for daytime activity so they don’t need to get any further guidance from Defra or the BA as the legislation is very clear on this issue. Hopefully this works out well for Herbert Woods et al 

45 minutes ago, MotorBoater said:

I noticed yesterday, and this morning, that Barnes, NBD and Herbert Woods were shuffling day boats about and assumed a desire to take advantage of the relaxation in regulations so far. Natural enough.

I have also noticed a shuffling around in a few of Woods larger boats, this might be normal maintenance but they don't seem to have touched them for weeks, why start now ?

Might be wishful thinking but no harm in hoping, especially if Mr Banner has been told some guidance is coming soon !

I should qualify my statement: guidance to provide clarity over what we can and can't do. 

Whatever that guidance is, there is no way that I will be offering any boat hire whilst the daily figures hover as they are currently. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RegalSafari said:

The new regulations for opening car showrooms also specifically confirms boatyards and hire boats can operate but only for daytime activity so they don’t need to get any further guidance from Defra or the BA as the legislation is very clear on this issue. Hopefully this works out well for Herbert Woods et al 

Provide a link please to this guidance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Andy the new regulation which came into effect on Monday http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/558/made states the following can open.  

46 - Showrooms and other premises, including outdoor areas, used for the sale or hire of caravans, boats, or any vehicle which can be propelled by mechanical means.”.

So it's very clear day boats hired for the day can operate, However as confirmed the government have now made it illegal to stop overnight away from your home, so this is no longer a grey area. 

But as confirmed any business operating must ensure the public is not at risk from following good hygiene and social distancing measures. 

Excuse me but I think I am starting to lose the plot - again!  So where are all these day boat customers suddenly going to spring from?  Surely the average day tripper in a launch is going to come from two main sources :

1/. They are staying in holiday accommodation in the area, such as cottages or chalet parks or houseboats.  Sorry, not allowed!

2/. They have arrived in a day trip coach party.  Worth noting that one of the main players - Shearings - has already gone bust.

So are we expecting people to set out in their car for the day to spend 4 hours or less on the river, when there are none of the usual facilities such as pubs, restaurants or even public toilets?

It is suggested that this will get a bit of cash flow going but I doubt, at the moment, with all the extra cleaning and distancing palaver involved, whether 50 odd Quidsworth of launch hire is going to cover the staff and turnround costs.  I suppose we shall see.  I also wonder why they are not starting until Monday when the legislation appears to be valid from 1st June.  Or are there still some more boxes to be ticked?

Meantime boat owners are left with a ridiculous situation.  We can travel to our boat; we can work on our boat; we can go out on the river on our boat, but for some inexplicable reason we can't spend the night on it.  I don't pretend to be a medical man but I cannot think of a single reason why that would pose an additional risk of anything.

• Like 11

The legislation should be used in conjunction with government guidance: this has not been published yet for this industry. 

The guidance is expected next week, though when is uncertain. 

I know, you couldn't make this up unless you were writing something like Yes Minister or The Thick of It. 

Vaughan asks a sensible enough question of where are the customers coming from? I think he underestimates the resolve of the average Brit to do whatever he jolly-well pleases. The crowded beaches of Southend display this in spades (sorry). It's also interesting to note that Southend has seen an increase in cases too. 

There are plenty of locals who will take a day out too and Bishy Barney Boats' customers are predominantly locals. 

In response to Vaughan's other point about overnighting, I suspect the reason is a simple one. Ban overnighting in all but essential cases (such as work) and you have something that's easy to understand. Make a list of exceptions and those who are disaffected by it will say, "screw that, I'm off to my boat, my caravan, my second home, my dad's illegally erected cottage, etc." 

Basically, if you allowed overnighting anywhere, the system would break down instantly (not that they haven't already done that anyway.)/

• Like 4