Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

They’ve looked like that every time on the odd occasion I’ve ventured in Paul, even the cat food has been gobbled up. The farm shops I’ve biked past appear to have spuds etc. aplenty and I’m braced to give the rhubarb it’s first pull to stew into ice cube trays for my morning porridge. Roll on asparagus season, still got some wild blackberries in the freezer from last year too. Run out of sloe gin though...

29 minutes ago, grendel said:

maybe they have run out of room to store it all, and now realise why supermarkets are so big.

A lot of Sainsbury’s now have an Argus store inside them, I’ve heard some of the food storage was taken over by Argus storage!

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

A lot of Sainsbury’s now have an Argus store inside them, I’ve heard some of the food storage was taken over by Argus storage!

It's good they have an argus store, that was probably wishbone ash's best album, not something you can get in a normal argos. :default_tongue:

• Like 3

My local Sainsburys now has an Argos store as well as an enlarged home and wear section. The footprint of the building didn't increase but the shop floor did and I guess there is no storage area just a loading bay. I guess they thought they could manage it with just in time deliveries, but it has been noticeable for the last 12 months since the refurb that you could only guarantee to get about 92% of the exact items you wanted, compared to about 98% before. Substitutes might be available, but not the exact brand you were looking for. If you go to either of the bigger local stores which are also delivery hub stores you can virtually guarantee the full range all the time. I have frequently filled in the customer online surveys you get from Sainsburys after visiting their store, courtesy of the Nectar card I guess, explaining my disappointment and how I perceive the store has got worse since the refurb. They even squeezed the aisle closer together to fit an extra row of two in with the result that the rood support pillars are now in the middle of some of the rows. Once you get a couple of mums with screaming kids, trolley and pram chatting some aisles are frequently blocked. In my opinion this store was struggling to keep as well stocked as it used to be before it was refurbished and Argos added. Now it is a total joke in the last two weeks. Back to shopping at Morrisons who seem to be doing a much better job of keeping the shelves stocked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

It's good they have an argus store, that was probably wishbone ash's best album, not something you can get in a normal argos.

That certainly was and still essential listening for me. Thanks for the link you posted. Yourself, Ali and the lovely mutt take care of yourselves! You must be mourning Sonia having to shut up shop!

7 hours ago, Turnoar said:

They’ve looked like that every time on the odd occasion I’ve ventured in Paul, even the cat food has been gobbled up. The farm shops I’ve biked past appear to have spuds etc. aplenty and I’m braced to give the rhubarb it’s first pull to stew into ice cube trays for my morning porridge. Roll on asparagus season, still got some wild blackberries in the freezer from last year too. Run out of sloe gin though...

Assuming that there is someone to cut Asparagus! Many cutters come from Eastern Europe countries, to first cut Asparagus and then move onto salad products. But many of their countries now have travel restrictions.

10 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Roll on asparagus season...

How "big" is asparagus in the UK?  When I lived there (until 1982) Asparagus mostly appeared in Beatrix Potter' Tale of Peter Rabbit. I can only recall once in the 30 years my father bringing asparagus home from the local market.

Here in Germany asparagus is almost a religion where there is a race to offer (at exhorbitant price) the first shoots of the season.  Often eaten with smoked ham (delicious).  Actually we find frozen asparagus from Lidl to be just as good & saves the work of peeling.

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Assuming that there is someone to cut Asparagus! Many cutters come from Eastern Europe countries, to first cut Asparagus and then move onto salad products. But many of their countries now have travel restrictions.

Similar problem here - with less water in the way.  Asparagus farmers moaning about no slaves being available (& the asparagus is early this year).

33 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Apologies if someone else has already posted this but Richardson’s are now closed until at least the end of April. 
https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/covid-19-closure/

Excellent from Richardsons again 

We were due to holiday with them from 6th till 17th April and will await their call

48 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Apologies if someone else has already posted this but Richardson’s are now closed until at least the end of April. 
https://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/covid-19-closure/

I suspect that the end of April will effectively be a rolling date so to speak, one that will go until the end of May and then some.  A well thought out communication from Richardson's, I expect that the others will follow very quickly now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I expect that the others will follow very quickly now.

I am also very conscious that this decision has been made before such things as river tolls and insurance come due at the end of March. If they wish to put a few, but not all, of the fleet back in commission later in the year, they can always toll them then.

It's not just cruisers either. When you think of all those day boats in Wroxham, Horning or Potter, the BA will also be losing a lot of revenue this year. Not forgetting Broads Tours passenger boats.

As I said last week - a catastrophic recession.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, marshman said:

Looks as though the rivers will be eerily quiet for those with their own boat and who live pretty local.

Will have to get my quarantine flag out! Yes, it will seem unreal. As much as I enjoy the winter solitude I do also welcome and enjoy the summertime hustle and bustle.

22 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

This leads me to a question about what amounts a person should reasonably buy. Some go for a weekly shop others will be more or less frequent.

In Tesco's yesterday I attempted to buy 6 bottles of beer. I was only allowed 3!! hey ho, there seemed to be plenty there but there you go.

So, what level of shopping do members reckon to be acceptable.

I'll raise you two bananas.    I ordered 6.

• Like 1

Just now, marshman said:

Is that published and approved by the medical officers? There do seem some pretty dodgy statements in there and some of it seems very odd advice.

Could the Mods consider removing it before it is fact checked?

already on it MM

• Like 1