Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

On 05/06/2020 at 19:11, JennyMorgan said:

I hear mention of September . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

You can just see it happening 

Parents .. it's unsafe to send children back to school...

Let's book a holiday instead..

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheQ said:

You can just see it happening 

Parents .. it's unsafe to send children back to school...

Let's book a holiday instead..

Excellent point! I reckon when things do start again it will be like August Bank holiday weekend but ten times worse! 

Up here in flat cap land McDonald's drive throughs have opened and caused mayhem with long traffic queues. 

I can't wait to get afloat again but I'm just hoping it will be quiet in December - I'll hang on till then I think. 

Having said all this I do sympathise with the businesses and obviously they will be looking forward to customers returning. 

On 05/06/2020 at 17:45, Vaughan said:

If this turns out to be the same as I have read on Le Boat's website, then shore toilets and showers on the bases will be closed to the public to maintain hygiene.

Very sensible I am sure, but not good news for attracting those who wish to hire a day launch.

Gosh a lot of folk with crossed legs I fear....

• Like 1

Not sure whether this is a change to previous policy, but I’ve noticed today that Hoseasons and Waterways holiday companies are accepting bookings for 4th July. A few weeks back I decided to change our booking with Hunter’s Yard from 27th June to 4th July. I’m now crossing fingers etc. I gather that there’s no confirmation yet that 4th July will see holidays start up again. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Not sure whether this is a change to previous policy, but I’ve noticed today that Hoseasons and Waterways holiday companies are accepting bookings for 4th July. A few weeks back I decided to change our booking with Hunter’s Yard from 27th June to 4th July. I’m now crossing fingers etc. I gather that there’s no confirmation yet that 4th July will see holidays start up again. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see. 

Nope, there is no word on this at all. The 4th July is an expectation that's being talked up because the PM indicated that this date would be the earliest possible date that hospitality restrictions might be relaxed. 

Because nothing is certain, we have been refusing to take any money for reservations as the hassle of having to refund people and so on should there be further delays just isn't worth the hassle for us or the customer. When we know we can open and we feel it's safe enough to do so, we will and we take bookings again. Until that time, I see it a a potential rod for our backs. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

All the very best wishes with that................we were supposed to be out from 27th June until 4th July! :57_cry:

• Sad 1

We are meant to be out from the 4th July. This was changed from the 26th May.  Who knows!

The boatyard seemed to think it might possible, and they were busy making sure they are ready to do so, if given the go ahead. This seems to be mirrored by the other big yards...

(I understand it will be difficult for the smaller yards).

Quite a few of the yards websites say they are taking bookings "From 4th July". As are place like centre parcs and campsites.

The government announced they aimed to open up tourism from the 4th of July, if the R rate stays bellow 1. Last week they confirmed they were still aiming for it, and were keen to support domestic tourism.

I am interested to hear more, why people feel this isn't possible (for the big yards)...

28 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Well, in today's Covid Briefing, Alok Sharma was asked a direct question by the public about opening domestic holidays being able to happen again. 

He sidestepped the question and it remains unanswered. 

Also noticed that. Good job i wasn`t behind the mic with that newspaper guy asking questions trying to make a name for himself, he would of got a Donald Trump sort of response! Maybe a valid question but what a way to go about it.

I think your right, hospitality being given the green light would probably come from Borris himself.

The Broads Authority (and Barnes Brinkcraft) seem to be expecting some kind of announcement this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

11 hours ago, Bexs said:

I think your right, hospitality being given the green light would probably come from Borris himself.

The Broads Authority (and Barnes Brinkcraft) seem to be expecting some kind of announcement this week.

The announcement this week (which was hoped for on Monday but has still not materialised) is for the safety guidelines to operate day boats. 

On Sunday Evening and Monday, the media was talking about Alok Sharma being tasked with trying to put a case together for social distancing being reduced and for pubs to operate from the 22nd June. Instead, on Tuesday, we get the statement from the man himself that Pubs etc will not open until 4th July at the earliest and that Schools will not open until September either. 

Now, either the media got it wrong (which is unlikely as there are leaks throughout government) or something we haven't been told has changed to cause the government to backtrack and U turn. As I said above, Sharma also didn't answer a direct question about when domestic holidays would be possible again either. 

Maybe they have begun listening to the science, but I remain sceptical. 

• Like 1

I suspect they listen to too much science!!! Every single scientist (and trades union leader) has a view and they cannot all be right!

I am just glad I don't have to make any real decision about anything other than my own well being - given the range of advice, its inevitable that they listen to the wrong advice most of the time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think any release for overnight staying, will be announced by Boris himself, he seems to keep good news to his presentations.
If the R doesn't go up in the next 2 weeks release may be given.
paul

I personally think in general we need to love away from the fixation on the “R value”. With such smaller numbers the R value is going to be more volatile and it will move around.

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

I personally think in general we need to love away from the fixation on the “R value”. With such smaller numbers the R value is going to be more volatile and it will move around.

When it boils down to it, we're all spouting opinion based on what we think we know. Basically, we don't know our Rs from our elbows (sorry, milking this one)

• Like 1

I'm being a bit wary on the next release as the BLM protests could knock the rates back up but it will take 2-3 weeks to know, most protesting are younger healthy people that may not not know if they are infected so won't show till they pass on to someone else making it a 2x incubation period to see.

The worrying thing is that the majority protesting are in the group most likely to be seriously affected (or their older relatives) according to the ethnic breakdown of hospital cases, it appears viruses can get away with discrimination.

• Like 2