Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

Basically, I think that we on the NBN are a bit of a niche market, as we either own boats, or are mostly regular hirers. But do we represent the views of Joe Public, the average British tourist, who has been lured away for several decades now by the Mediterranean package beach hotel or the all-inclusive Caribbean cruise?

These are no longer available right now, so what is Joe Public going to spend his hard earned holiday cash on this year? Is he going to come to the Broads, knowing that pubs (let's face it) will not be anything like they used to be, apart from all the other "distancing" factors?

The boatyards only have the bookings that were taken before the beginning of March and a lot of those have been put off to next year or refunded. So will the rest of the bookings for this season now fill in? Will tourism really take off, or will it belly-flop?

As I said, I don't like the signs, as I have seen them before, but I very much hope I am wrong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Basically, I think that we on the NBN are a bit of a niche market, as we either own boats, or are mostly regular hirers. But do we represent the views of Joe Public, the average British tourist, who has been lured away for several decades now by the Mediterranean package beach hotel or the all-inclusive Caribbean cruise?

These are no longer available right now, so what is Joe Public going to spend his hard earned holiday cash on this year? Is he going to come to the Broads, knowing that pubs (let's face it) will not be anything like they used to be, apart from all the other "distancing" factors?

The boatyards only have the bookings that were taken before the beginning of March and a lot of those have been put off to next year or refunded. So will the rest of the bookings for this season now fill in? Will tourism really take off, or will it belly-flop?

As I said, I don't like the signs, as I have seen them before, but I very much hope I am wrong.

So long as the 'Bournemouth/Sarfend set' stay away from here , or at least behave somewhat differently than the way they were appearing to on the News !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

well as soon as i heard the news, I extended my trip in july by 4 days as the boat I was on still had days available, so thats at least one extra booking, when I called up marthams they hadnt heard yet that could re-open, but that was only a few minutes after the announcement.

Yes, I expect it to be busy, but not intolerably so. I tend to do my 'pubbing' lunch times these days and try  to find moorings with no pub access for the evening/night.

Even if all the hire craft and all the private ones are out, I still don't think it will be busier than the height of season back in the early 80s.

30 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I still don't think it will be busier than the height of season back in the early 80s.

When mooring three and even four deep at Yarmouth Yacht Station was not unheard of! Three or more tiers of stern to moored boats, stems tied to sterns, was not unknown at Ranworth on Bank Holidays, Huge fun, those were the days, but hardly social distancing. Even Oulton Broad Yacht Station had the crowds, I well remember one Bank Holiday Monday when the boats were moored alongside five deep and then there was a two and three deep trot of boats laying to their mud-weights. I had a big dory and with several yard workboats we provided a ferry service.  We even used to regularly moor fifty plus holiday boats at Burgh St Peter. It was a great time to be in the business.

As you say, Pete, all things are relative!  I too remember those days and yes it was busy - very! One result of that however, is that it forced people to moor elsewhere and indeed open up "wild" moorings and to my mind that is one of the reasons why wild moorings have declined, particularly down your way. Boaters continue to bemoan the lack of more formal moorings nowadays but those old wild moorings are still there but require opening up again by being used - this year because there have been fewer boats even some moorings which were being used last year, now look overgrown - OK I accept that, so force your way in and trample the reeds and grass that has grown up and reuse it!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Another report from your Canal du Midi correspondent and I am afraid the news is not good.

We went to one of the main bases at Port Cassafieres, to see this sad sight :

IMG_0183.thumb.jpg.e062420468b13ad71909e68383fbe1f7.jpg

IMG_0180.thumb.jpg.8cf134ac60ced96c049f1053e5dc770d.jpg

Sad sights indeed Vaughan. We can only hope they aren't repeated on the Broads.

I hired on the Midi twice; once in August and the other early May and both times all the bases we passed had almost all their craft out.

We had to go into the base at Port Cassafieres (above) to have a replacement fan belt, where there were only two other boats: one an overnight moorer and the other being hauled out of the water on the slip in front of the blue building in the background - to fix a hole its unfortunate hirer had managed to make in the hull.

• Like 1

The number of Londoners traveling to Kent beggars belief, Thanet beaches full, Camber Sands full, a beach party at Leysdown that I could hear 8 miles away last night. All the reports indicate a substantial number of London residents who seem to think the virus has disappeared.

At least they weren't partying and attacking the police in London.

Madness.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Vaughan said:

It's gone bonkers. Some yards have only 10 days available on boats between now and the end of October. 

Whether or not there will be more lockdowns between then and now can only be guessed at so far but the signs from Dorset don't look promising.

• Like 1

Interesting contrast between Vaughan's observations in France and Andy's comments above. I was born in Poole and knowing the beaches in the area well I was shocked and worried by the scenes yesterday. Do our European friends have a more cautious culture?

6 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Is this what we can expect for the Broads this year? 

In a diluted form possibly. I think there has been some activity around Horstead Mill with the fine weather. Caen Meadow used to be a popular spot with the local yoof, not sure if it still is. Its going to be busy. Much as I love the Broads I'm glad I'm not going to be out in it! 

.......just looked at Hoseasons website out of curiosity. Searching on 4th July, just 22 boats available and a good few are the Brooms/WRC luxury (sic) ones. 

Of course maybe not all the boats are prepared for hire. But I'd hate to be heading for Horning or Ranworth in just over a week! :default_icon_e_surprised:

I’m wondering whether the yards will actually be getting people away early given that they can prepare all the boats the day before on this unique occasion. Ferry Marina have been advertising 2 day hires Saturday 4th returning Monday 6th. You have to phone for details but probably these are their boats with Friday and Monday start days. 

• Like 1