Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

That EDP article seems to imply that more people are booking short breaks rather than full weeks. More cleaning time for the boatyards but I suppose a bit more income as pro rata short breaks are more expensive. 
I think that the roads on the weekend of the 4/5 July, and even on the 6th could well be a little busy!

• Like 3

Interesting contrast between Vaughan's observations in France and Andy's comments above. I was born in Poole and knowing the beaches in the area well I was shocked and worried by the scenes yesterday. Do our European friends have a more cautious culture?

It would have broken your heart to see it. It’s was just appalling.

I thought about taking the children to Studland Beach for a few hours, as soon as we woke up when it would still be quiet. But then decided I just didn’t want to be a part of it, even as a resident.

We normally take the rib to the beach to avoid the traffic and crowded spots even on a normal weekend. We don’t like crowds even under normal circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I'd hate to be heading for Horning or Ranworth in just over a week! :default_icon_e_surprised:

I'd absolutely love to be heading for Horning or Ranworth in just over a week but I need to be patient for a while longer as I'm not booked until August 22nd. Lots of boat activity adds to the fun for me as long as I mix it in with some quiet time as well.

Marina and I are hoping  to be up on the boat mid July.A few hurdles to overcome  first.I'm on ANTIBIOTICS for another ten days,due to my chest infection .Two days ago  I got a update from the NHS regarding  sheilding.The bottom line theres not much I will be allowed in there advice from now from July 6. According to the advice I can form a support bubble  of six people  from other households outside.I still cant go to shops.Since 23 March 2020,I've stuck to the guildlines.The NHS/Government have informed me sheilding  will end from 1 August,and I can return to work providing my employers prove its covad safe.We have spoken about us getting to the boat,so decided to go for it.In all honesty we can reduce  risks to myself, its just us in the car and boat.I will mainly do cooking on board.Very much looking forward to it.Sheilding has been far from  easy.I do feel for those in flats many of which have only just started  to leave  the house  for once a day.

I will some how carry on doing  my walk in aid of the British lung foundation,not sure how but well do it.

• Like 4

That all sounds very positive Ian, the government’s letter of course is advice and provided you are sensible (which you are) all will be well I’m sure. What could be better than keeping to yourselves on the boat? Go and enjoy - I will be too! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That does indeed sound like a very reasonable thing to do Ian. You've done as much as you can and now hopefully it's time to get back to other things you enjoy. They say we're less likely to catch the virus outdoors so some fresh Norfolk and Suffolk Broads air sounds like a plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We in the south of England have seen increasingly obnoxious, rude, aggressive and even violent behaviour among  (largely) youngsters at the bigger seaside resorts over the last 2-3 weeks. Strange how lockdown was supposed to make us a more caring society and more respectful of the planet. In reality it seems to have had exactly the opposite effect. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, floydraser said:

And they blame our generation for the state of the environment! 

I don't think that is at all a fair comparison as "our generation" has a great deal to be ashamed of.  My argument, however, would be off topic, so I will leave it there!

• Like 3

I suspect that 'Floyd's' point was the hypocrisy of those who criticize their forebears whilst continuing to exude vast quantities of rubbish on the countryside themselves.  Maybe it's not a generational thing though, today's society does seem prone to leaving a great deal of rubbish behind them, possibly considering it's someone else's job  job to clear up after them.  "It doesn't matter, someone else will clear up after me/us". 

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

our generation" has a great deal to be ashamed of.

Each following generation is left to clear up after its predecessor and so it will go on, probably into eternity.  No excuse for the mountains of crap left at beauty spots though.

• Like 1