Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

I need to speak  with the Doctors  on Friday.Maily about meds and hopefully to arrange  for my annual breathing  check.I will ask about a letter re masks.If I get a answer I will share on this post. For the life of me I see no reason why something  as simple as a badge can't be given, to support  us

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grendel said:

the other problem I have is this will come into force while I am away on holiday, and if I need to get a medical exemption from my doctors, will i be able to get an appointment in less than a week to do so.

Since lockdown, I've had about four or five phone consultations.Regarding my COPD and pneumonia. Which have been done on the day.To get a letter think this is the way it could  be done.My feeling  is that phone consultations will carry on once this passes.

I  think the government should have thought this through better. I always give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Coronavirus issues because of the uniqueness of the problem but on this issue they really have made a pigs ear of it, with conflicting messaging being a serious concern.

Fred

• Like 3

While waiting to sort out official answers could a temporary solution be a bandana? Think along the lines of bank robbers in old western movies.

These will help restrict your breath reaching others while giving you a more direct oxygen supply from below the chin. They seem to be acceptable judging by the amount of people wearing them in media photos plus it is (slightly) better than nothing or getting a fine.

In a bid to avoid confrontations i have decided to print my own badge that simply states:-

For Your safety and mine

Please keep your distance

I have a medical Condition

That Prevents me from

being able to wear a mask

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

My feeling  is that phone consultations will carry on once this passes.

I'm sure that you are right although I'm not convinced that it is the best way forward. I base that on my wife's recent experiences when she had four consultations with four different diagnosises, non of which was correct. Thank goodness I have a daughter in the industry who just happens to have suitable colleagues on which we could call. In the end we bypassed our more usual doctor and his telephone, useless individual, and entered via the back door so to speak and hey presto, sorted, no thanks to phone consultations. The months of pain that my dear wife went through, grrrrrrr, I could swear with much deep feeling.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ray said:

While waiting to sort out official answers could a temporary solution be a bandana? Think along the lines of bank robbers in old western movies.

These will help restrict your breath reaching others while giving you a more direct oxygen supply from below the chin. They seem to be acceptable judging by the amount of people wearing them in media photos plus it is (slightly) better than nothing or getting a fine.

unless it was the consistency of a net curtain it would still give me issues, one thickness of tee shirt material is too much.

I would never be able to be a bank robber would I.

basically from experimentation i have concluded that anything that is thick enough to form even barely adequate protection is too thick to allow me to breathe

• Like 2

It’s it just shopkeepers that need explanation.

I was in our local small shop the other day and some horrible guy in a mask  was giving the poor man behind the counter a really nasty time because he was not wearing a mask.

i am  sure if I try and continue shopping ,even with an exemption, that I will face similar harassment from others.

18 minutes ago, trambo said:

I  think the government should have thought this through better. I always give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Coronavirus issues because of the uniqueness of the problem but on this issue they really have made a pigs ear of it, with conflicting messaging being a serious concern.

Fred

I don't agree. Once again the media and those opposed to the government are stirring things up to look worse than it is. The only mistake has been to trust the general public to have some common sense instead of banging the table and making yet another rule to be enforced. People still seem to be obsessed with rules and regulations rather than the virus itself.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I don't agree. Once again the media and those opposed to the government are stirring things up to look worse than it is. The only mistake has been to trust the general public to have some common sense instead of banging the table and making yet another rule to be enforced. People still seem to be obsessed with rules and regulations rather than the virus itself.

On the wearing of face-masks in shops I really do not think the confusion is down to the media but to government ministers and the Prime Minister saying or implying different messages and yes you have to trust the people but they need clear guidance. The government has a very difficult job to do but on this issue they have confused the situation. I'm certainly not obsessed with the rules but realise they are there for a reason and  I am also using my own self discipline, with the facts I have to conduct the way I approach the situation.

Fred

1 hour ago, trambo said:

Fred

I wish I could give your post more ‘likes’ Fred. It sums up my thoughts quite well too. There have been many times recently when I have wondered why we didn’t do something earlier when it seemed so logical and other countries were already taking action. We always seem to be playing catch-up these days!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

I'm sure that you are right although I'm not convinced that it is the best way forward. I base that on my wife's recent experiences when she had four consultations with four different diagnosises, non of which was correct. Thank goodness I have a daughter in the industry who just happens to have suitable colleagues on which we could call. In the end we bypassed our more usual doctor and his telephone, useless individual, and entered via the back door so to speak and hey presto, sorted, no thanks to phone consultations. The months of pain that my dear wife went through, grrrrrrr, I could swear with much deep feeling.  

Your post Peter confirmed my thoughts,  if you do not have a member of the family working in the NHS you have no chance of getting anything done.      My cousin is a Nurse Practitioner and when her Mum suffered a twisted bowel because she was 'in the business' so to speak they moved heaven and earth for her and saved her life.    It should not be like this,   everyone is equal when it comes to ill health and we should all be treated the same.   When I was in the James Paget a member of staff told me of her experience of being in there and how wonderful they had all been with her (long before Covid19)  brought her iced water etc.   That was because she was a member of staff.      When I asked for some iced water ,  I was told tap or nothing.      I have a concern and have been contacting the doctor for over 3 months to be told , we dont deal with that at the moment.   Wonder if I was a family member if things would be different.   This is just my thoughts.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2020 at 22:28, TheBands said:

Point me to it. £1900 for one week it is costing me.

i don't begrudge paying it, but do not tell me it is cheap.

I am 100% certain you could have found a much lower-cost holiday cruiser for you and your family.

There isn't one of my boats that would have pushed you that far, as an example.

AND you have not taken into account any of my points at all. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, grendel said:

basically from experimentation i have concluded that anything that is thick enough to form even barely adequate protection is too thick to allow me to breathe

Could you not wear a visor of some kind, such as we see on TV? Failing that a welders mask with clear glass fitted, I'm sure that you could adapt one pretty quickly! 

4 hours ago, WherryNice said:

Folks a face covering doesnt have to be a full on mask, it can be a scarf or bandana or similar.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-wear-and-make-a-cloth-face-covering/how-to-wear-and-make-a-cloth-face-covering.

all very good, but as referred to above, tee shirt material is too thick and still causes me issues.

14 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Could you not wear a visor of some kind, such as we see on TV? Failing that a welders mask with clear glass fitted, I'm sure that you could adapt one pretty quickly! 

i have considered a visor, but once again i have issues with the fact my mouth generally falls below the bottom edge, i produced a ton of them for the nhs, welding mask, similar issue, a full face crash helmet would work, but i dont currently have one, and it was always fun finding one in  my size, i did go carting last year and their biggest size barely went on my head,  thinking back, i struggled to breathe in that when i had the visor closed.

7 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

I am 100% certain you could have found a much lower-cost holiday cruiser for you and your family.

There isn't one of my boats that would have pushed you that far, as an example.

AND you have not taken into account any of my points at all. 

I will apologise, I certainly did not intend to cause any offence.

Yes I could have booked a cheaper boat, but as we are a family of five adults we wanted a larger boat with more bedrooms and as I'm in the fortunate position of being able to spend a little more then that is what I did. We haven't however booked one of the 'glamour' boats as that would be outside of our reach.

The point I was making was to the other poster that if people have chosen to spend their hard earned money on the broads then it's their business - regardless of being furloughed or not. Many who have been furloughed will be struggling with coping on only 80% wages and my comment about the broads was in that context, no holiday would be 'cheap' in those circumstances.

Again, I apologise. 

PS. I took a lot at your website, I wasn't aware of your yard previously. Have you reopened yet as I couldn't seem to find any availability for any combination of dates and party sizes ?

BBC Look East have just been interviewing people shopping . Universally 'a good idea, Includong those who weren't wearing a mask ! Knob of the day was the bloke wearing a mask with his nose uncovered.
Still, it was in Ipswich .....

One thing of concern is that I've already noticed that people currently wearing masks appear less botheredabout social distancing, ignoring even the 1 metre advice if using a mask !  I bet this will get wose.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheBands said:

I will apologise, I certainly did not intend to cause any offence.

Yes I could have booked a cheaper boat, but as we are a family of five adults we wanted a larger boat with more bedrooms and as I'm in the fortunate position of being able to spend a little more then that is what I did. We haven't however booked one of the 'glamour' boats as that would be outside of our reach.

The point I was making was to the other poster that if people have chosen to spend their hard earned money on the broads then it's their business - regardless of being furloughed or not. Many who have been furloughed will be struggling with coping on only 80% wages and my comment about the broads was in that context, no holiday would be 'cheap' in those circumstances.

Again, I apologise. 

PS. I took a lot at your website, I wasn't aware of your yard previously. Have you reopened yet as I couldn't seem to find any availability for any combination of dates and party sizes ?

A family of five adults that's £380 each for a week on a big boat on the Broads ?  

You couldn't say in a Travel Tavern for a week for that.

4 minutes ago, Lastdraft said:

A family of five adults that's £380 each for a week on a big boat on the Broads ?  

You couldn't say in a Travel Tavern for a week for that.

I could book a caravan with Hoseasons for less, I could do the same to France with Eurocamp including ferry/tunnel. All holidays in peak season are expensive and the broads is no different in that respect. My original post wasn't comparing the broads against other types of holidays however, it was simply stating that £1900 is a lot of anyone's money. 

• Like 2