Hello - Newbie Boat Question

Geezercdg

Hi All

I have just joined this forum and apologies if this is similar to a recent post but I am looking at getting a cruiser. I have little knowledge but have found that reasing the threads on here really helpful. I still have one or 2 questions.

I am after a Freeman 27 or Elysian 27 or similar. For the most part there will just be 2 of us boating but it would be nice to have guests/family for a few nights too.

I discounted the stylish sports cruiser on the basis that I think I would like a balance of outdoor and indoor space so am going for a more traditional boat but not one of the low ones, like a safari.

I have decided on the following;

Diesel

Shaft drive

Sea toilet (?)

Ability to go under all bridges

Shore power 

Apart from that I have no other clue as to what I need. I am 6 foot 1 so need to be able to stand fairly straight esp in the cockpit with the canopy up.

We are complete newbie boat owners so would welcome any advice. Should I go for a aft or mid cockpit for example. Also what aspects would you say are your non negotiables learnt over time.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Hi Chris. First of all, welcome. Second, No to the Sea toilet unles you mean one with a pump-out style holding tank as opposed to the "portapotty" style.

As an Elysian 27 owner I'm bias towards your choice and would point out one for sale at the Potter Heigham boatyard.

I have to warn you that the double dinette berth is only a double if both parties are as skinny as hell and deeply in love with each other.

Good luck in your search. 

• Like 1

Friend had a freeman 27 late 80s lovely inside mostly ford petrol not a lot of petrol on the broads. Had sea toilet not aloud nowadays still lots about good luck tip look look look before you bye do not bye the first one you see.

Edited by colino
not this post
  • Like 1

Hi Geezer welcome to the forum, there's a Bounty 27 at waterside marine that may be a possible. A lot depends on your budget but if it's about the 15k to 18k Freeman budget you could also look at Hampton 25, Broom Skipper at 30ft or a similar sized Broom Ocean, all older boats and will probably need some diy. A search on the Apollo Duck website, motorboats section, might give you a better idea  for your hard earned. Good hunting.

Paul

• Like 1

We have a Bounty 27 aft cockpit (follow on from Maurice's Elysian) and he speaks wisely. The only place you'll not find a good 6' headroom is in the shower/bog. The "double" in the saloon is barely 4' wide, if we have guests they put up in a nearby b&b and we dayboat them about.

• Like 1