Sandford By Stealth.

JennyMorgan

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

It's funny when he's talking about silt though - he does love to stir it up a bit now and then!

All in the name of balance, albeit balance might not be possible on many topics involving the Broads Authortity. I really do not understand the man.. 

17 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Brundall broad was closed many years ago as an experiment.

It is still owned by the marina. There was talk about opening access for marina use, that may have been shelved because of cost. I doubt it would ever be available for public access, why would the owner pay those costs without any return.

I wonder if they considered using the broad before they took the decision to dig out the basin where the hotel used to be? Quite an investment in itself. 

Thank you Mr Waller for your kind words - its good that someone keeps you on your toes. You cannot have it all your own way and just as you like to propound your views as correct in every way, I take the view that there are many who do not always agree with you and I shall continue to point people in the other direction if I should consider it appropriate!

As has been said quite correctly, its all in the interpretation!!!! :default_icon_e_smile:

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Some time ago huge fines were threatened in an effort to dissuade boaters and anglers from using Horsey Mere during the winter. It was an event that opened the eyes of many in regard to the Authority. In some respects good came out of it in that voluntary agreements were entered into in order to protect the wildlife. Nevertheless it was a major public relations boob by the BA.  In threatening £20,000.00 fines in an effort to close the navigation during the winter  the Authority made clear its priorities.  Clearly nothing was learned from that faux pas. Sandford is alive and well.

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/looking-after/projects/upper-thurne/winter-waterbirds-refuge?.fbclid=IwAR3QfzGzBFI8aHkdXR_NOQbo1xA5zgBTruz2zl434VoQOC0Apnow_4Q3EgY

• Like 1

"However, at this moment in time it is Natural England’s view that any fishing outside of the permitted area could cause disturbance to the waterfowl."

The would have to prove it.  I would suggest that willful obstruction of fish breeding (bream) is much more of an issue !

• Like 2

Going back 20 to 30 years I recall a newspaper article with a boat owner making his point about the right to navigate Horsey 365 even in the so called closed season, I think on the basis of there being a Staithe. He made his case and won his point from what I recall. Have the mooring posts changed again?

39 minutes ago, marshman said:

So whats different - has it not always been like that? Or at least for the last ten years or so?

For those of you who assiduously devour all things BA the topic was resurrected on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/BroadsAuthority/photos/pcb.3338587232929085/3338587099595765

Just as an afterthought, the BA has told us that "There are four areas at Hickling Broad and Heigham Sound which are restricted from November to March inclusive." However there is no power to 'restrict' the public right to navigate in this way. The term 'mission creep' springs to mind as does 'over-stepping the mark'.

Sorry Pete, there is nothing new here at all!!!! (unless you know different!!!) They have been putting those buoys out on both Hickling and Horsey in the same places for at least the last 10 years - come on Pete stop regurgitating old news. Either that or with respect, check you are telling us something new. I appreciate your concern but I think that it has been widely accepted that access to the staithe is still available as stated above - similarly I believe they cannot close down the Waxham Cut as there is a legal access up which cannot technically be closed. Had you ventured out on either Broad over any of those preceding winters, you would of course have seen the buoys - its hardly a "hidden" agenda bearing in mind the regularity with which they are deployed - and they do tend to be around mostly the edges.

Now, if you have something new on this story by all means tell us! But to suddenly draw our attention to it now and seemingly pretending its something new, when I am sure you actually knew about this all the time? Or perhaps you have forgotten? I am sure there is a thread about it somewhere - but perhaps in another place?

Surely it was only just showing a Ranger sticking them out?

In any case what I was going to say was that Meadow Dyke is actually shut at the moment unless you want an argument with a mud wherry !! They are dredging the top end of Horsey and the mud is going into the bay on the northside of Hickling - the wherries probably are not what you want to bump into around a bend down the dyke. If there was a "bump" in Meadow Dyke as some complained of, its probably shifted now!

No ulterior motive other than safety as far as I am aware - later I think they are going to carry on dredging up the Cut above Brograve

Good morning,

To provide a bit of context, we ask our Rangers and maintenance staff to send the Comms Team photographs of what they are up to (when they get a chance) so we can share this on our social media feeds. People like to see what Rangers and other staff are doing and photographs help to illustrate the work that takes place.

Matt, one of our Rangers for the Thurne area, sent me a couple of photographs of him and a fellow Ranger out on Hickling putting out the buoys that designate the winter waterbird refuge areas to post on social media.

I very quickly wrote a post for Facebook and Twitter to share the photographs, and in the haste of doing so (we are rather busy at the moment trying to make sense of the communications that need to go out about the new lockdown) referred to the refuge areas as having 'restricted' access. This was picked up by some people on social media, including Peter, as being incorrectly worded. I then promptly edited the post to have wording that better reflected the situation:

'There are four areas at Hickling Broad and Heigham Sound which are designed as refuge areas from November to March inclusive. Recreational users are asked to avoid these areas during the winter months.

If a refuge area needs to be entered, please navigate with care trying to avoid disturbing any wintering birds. These areas rely on understanding and support from recreational users.'

These refuge areas have been in place for a number of years now to help reduce the disturbance of overwintering birds and are not a new policy.

Hope that helps!

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

Marsh, I have given you the links to the relevant BA articles. It might be an old story but it is still live, still relevant. The original Horsey issue, with threats of a twenty grand fine is being repeated, it's a fact! That in itself was probably when trust in the BA walked out of the door. Let's be clear, the BA can not impose a £20,000.00 fine, not least on restrictions that they have no power to impose. The roots of this story might be old, but these latest threats are current.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BroadsAuthority said:

I then promptly edited the post to have wording that better reflected the situation:

Thank you, Tom, for clearing that up. As you must realise by now we are a touchy lot with long memories and battered trust. History is not always helpful to the cause! Was the threat of a twenty grand hit also an inadvertent error?

• Like 1