Happy To Give Advice And Tips On Cooking

Poor old tabby. I keep reminding myself that we have lots of food in cupboards and fridge and freezer and that we won’t starve. My grandparents used to have so little food in the house. Grandad (I called him by the Welsh ‘Taid’) went out each morning to shop, so they kept milk, eggs, lard and butter/marg in the fridge and not much else. The ‘larder’ had flour, short grain rice, suet, dried fruit and not a lot else. Meat and veg were bought daily. There would be a tin of fruit, condensed milk and maybe salmon in a cupboard in case visitors turned up for tea, and that was about it. I look at my cupboards and feel ashamed. Each year I have a clear out and find tins that are out of date, and stuff that’s been in the freezer too long.

You’ll note it was my Grandad doing the shopping. After he retired he took over the housework so my Grandma (Nain) could spend more time working. She was a seamstress and continued working until well into her 80s, until her arthritic hands meant she couldn’t any longer. My Grandad also helped to look after me when my widowed Mam returned (reluctantly) to work when I was 2. He was the best Grandad ever.  Such a quiet and unassuming man. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Due to the fact I have to stay at home.If I can offer any advice on food.I would  be happy to do so.Easy meals using items in cupboards, fridge freezers etc.Ask away.

Ian

Well I for one would like to thank you Ian for your very kind offer. At this moment in time I guess we are fairly well stocked up. However in few weeks  it could be a different story.

Now where did all those pheasants go a few weeks back?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Well I for one would like to thank you Ian for your very kind offer. At this moment in time I guess we are fairly well stocked up. However in few weeks  it could be a different story.

Yes a very kind offer indeed, thank you Ian, I will need to know how not to burn beans on toast :default_biggrin:

Jay and Grace x

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Each year I have a clear out and find tins that are out of date, and stuff that’s been in the freezer too long.

I made a pasta bake last week, got the bags of pasta out that I had stored and found one that was two years out of date! So I cooked it, it was fine and we are still here this week to tell the tale. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wussername said:

They heard about Corona, got a tin hat and went into hiding. 

• Haha 1

i did go through all my tinned food at the weekend and get rid of dented, bulging and tins from more than 3 years ago several packets of rice were binned as they had been opened and were several years out of best before date, one does still have to be careful.

• Like 1

Theres lots ,everyday cooking veg,corn rolls very good.also basic olive oil very good.All those mentioned good for cooking.Oil seed rape also good for cooking. Favoured oil seed rape good for salads and good with fish,theres some very good ones all over the country. Look oit for local ones.There not cheap  ,but you wont need  much.Exra Virgin olive oil.Not for cooking,to good for that,but excellent for salads.

My advice corn or veg oil for cooking.Virgin and or oil seed rape for salads.I always have a selection of oils.

Hope that's helpful. Little tip.sliced tomatoes, some black olives a little parsley sliced spring onions. A little virgin olive oil,grated lemon and splash of balsamic vinegar. Nice wedge of French bread.Cheap fresh quick salad. Do a Gracie serve with a cold glass of white wine.

Ian

• Like 1

Best before is pit on many food items,mainly tinned foods biscuits, pasta dry foods etc.Food as suggested will be at there best up to those  dates.They can be safely eaten after those dates. Sometimes flavour will not be as good.All fresh food will be labelled  eat by/ consume by.They are safe up until the date on the label

This is part of my job that is taken very seriously. We in catering must work within the law.If not we can be taken to court. 

I exchange long messages very frequently with my cousin in Australia. This morning we had a discussion on sell by or use before dates. She told me she removes all best before dates from items in her store because her daughter comes along and throws out anything out of date! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am getting rid of my frozen Chilli, mince, lasagne, soupy stews that I have made and frozen first, 

On Sunday I was going to eat a Duck Breast and then decided that I would appreciate it more in a months time! So I had a chilli on top of a baked potato and steamed cabbage.

50 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi Tinned food in Army ration packs has a ten year shelf life if kept cool it's no different to civilian tins just no labels and contents only stamped on the top of can.best before isn't don't eat gone off.  John

That's what we need - Compo Rations!  Menu "B" was always the favourite!