Happy To Give Advice And Tips On Cooking

12 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

That's what we need - Compo Rations!  Menu "B" was always the favourite!

I used to love a good long day tramping around being given a beasting session, and then settling down outside the tent cooking your bag of slop on top of the hexi stove.

Delicious :default_biggrin:

We opened a tin of Spam the other day, which was just as good/bad as it would have been in its prime.  Some of the manufacturer's shelf lifes are a swiz. Especially for dry and canned goods. Best to trust your eyes and nose and use common sense on these.

• Like 3

Okay, best before is exactly that.The manufacturer will use that as the product will be at it's best up to the date on the product. Beyond that date,food will lose some quality but will be edible. Fresh food will be  consume by often on the package.Beyold that date a very real risk of food poisoning. Of which I've had twice in my life.Not very nice at all.

Some years back we had a lady on the island whose man friend was connected with the TA. We had a shipment of boxes full of just out of date '10yrs' tins. you name it, it was there including rice, sugar, jam, curry, stews etc. It was really good grub too. The tins were much thicker too, made to last though army handling.

Ruth went through our cupboards yesterday and has found, among other things, a gluten free pizza base that is vacuum packed. Its 18months out of date!. The sniff and taste test will be used when I open it.

I think Ian that you may end up with a Ready Steady Cook type challenge from some of us in the near future.

Hope you are keeping well

Colin :default_winko:

• Like 4

I have this morning found 18 jars of home made marmalade (12 large 6 small), and 12 jars of homemade plum and raspberry jam, I dont know when it was made, but the marmalade is a nice dark colour the peel bits are very dark (nearly black) its at least 10 years old. flavours are sweet with a hint of citrus and sweet with a hint of plum, tested it on my breakfast toast. jars were well sealed with no mould.

IMG_2768.JPG

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, grendel said:

I have this morning found 18 jars of home made marmalade (12 large 6 small), and 12 jars of homemade plum and raspberry jam, I dont know when it was made, but the marmalade is a nice dark colour the peel bits are very dark (nearly black) its at least 10 years old. flavours are sweet with a hint of citrus and sweet with a hint of plum, tested it on my breakfast toast. jars were well sealed with no mould.

IMG_2768.JPG

80% proof I should think by now.     Dont drive after consuming.

Guest GreenJack

Hello chelsea14ian

My requeat is a somewhat simple one but as far as I am aware, when cooking rice you use one cup of rice to 2 cups of water, however I still manage to make mt rice either waterlogged or bone dry.

Is there a top tip as to how I get the timing just right please?

You are correct  in 2 to 1.Try a little  oil.Keep checking until its cooked.If your rice starts to get dry,just add a little hot water.If too much water when its cooked drain well.Try cooking your rice now and again in the oven.Do the same 2 to 1,add a stock cube cover well takes about 15 odd minutes. 

Ian

I have two freezers of food which I have been trying to run down for three years since being on my own, unsuccessfully as I go shopping and keep topping up, God send as it turns out!. I have frozen bread, veg, meat, fish even milk.

However now nearly two weeks in to isolation the fresh stuff has been pretty much exhausted!  

What is really freaking me out is going to the regular fridge and seeing it empty as near as damn it.

PS. Only really use milk in tea and on cereal so I am mixing it 50:50 with water and reverted to my mothers Northern porridge made with water and a pinch of salt. You soon don't notice the difference.

Slow cooker Casseroled Rabbit (Field shot, supplied by a mate) and have done the following:-

Slow cooker, water, 4 x oxo cubes, 1 x teaspoon salt, quartered up Rabbit, turnip, carrots, onion, potatoes.  Turned it on High and will reduce to medium later on today when I will add some gravy granules to thicken it up. (I will separately do some boiled Belgian fart bombs)

Now I am no chef, in fact I find cooking a necessary PITA, I can manage some dishes / meals but prefer not to.  I only do a rabbit casserole as My MrsG won't touch owt I bring home unless it's 'Normal' and from a butchers / supermarket, I also therefore have to conjure up roast dinners if we are having Pheasant / Partridge

Anyroadup, I digress.  Ian, seeing as you are here and have kindly offered to assist,  with regards to the rabbit casserole - Have I done it correctly?

Thanks,

Griff

35 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

How are you getting  food and meds?

A friend has done a bit of shopping for me and left it on the step.

My meds come from the Medical centre in Mundesley I have been twice , there are strict separation rules in place but by sitting in the car outside until they open at 8.30 I have not seen anyone else but the pharmacist.

I wear gloves and a mask and take as much precaution as I can.

I suppose it is very different here than being in an urban environment, it mut be very difficult in the city.

At present Marina goes out and does the shopping, which she's doing now also my meds.I received a letter from NHS yesterday with a link which I log on.Giving my contact details,if I need supplies, meds etc.Okay while Marina  can do it If that changes they will drop things to the house. 

• Like 2

I'm far from the expert Ian is but this is what I do..

Having let the carcase get cold, I strip off the skin and put to one side. Then using my fingers, I peel off the remaining meat. There is plenty. I use some of that to make a chicken curry. The skin, the remaining meat and the now bare bones, I put in a saucepan with about a litre of water and simmer the living daylights out of it. I use a pressure cooker for this but if you use an ordinary saucepan keep an eye on the water level. Strain the liquid off and add some noodles then Bobs your uncle. 

• Like 1

Same as above except I use a slow cooker to simmer my carcass. I then take the stock and cook my veg in it and at the last moment put the picked off meat back in. We call it "Meaty Soup"

Otherwise I take the stock and make risotto, again adding the picked off meat when virtually cooked.

• Like 1

When we roast a chicken, we always stuff half an onion and half a lemon up its ar*e to keep the meat moist and impart some flavour. Having prepared the carcase as per MM, I leave the onion in with the bones, which works wonders for the stock, add a bay leaf and a small peeled carrot and then add water and simmer for a long time - an  hour or so. This is then allowed to cool down, sieved to remove the bones and vegetation then placed in a bowl in the fridge overnight, or it can be frozen for another day.

You can use the stock to make chicken-noodle soup per MM, or do as I do and add any veg you may have kicking around in the fridge. This is a good way of using up veg that is nearing the end of its useful life.  Chop the veg up into small cubes and simmer it in the stock until tender.  You can then serve up as a chunky soup or blitz with a hand-blender to make a smooth, unctuous one, You could add cream to this for a touch of luxury but I don't bother because it tastes good without it. 

• Like 1

John's advice  is good.My stock just a little different. Often if I do roast  chicken. Any meat left I strip off and put aside.Will give advice later.put chicken  bones into a saucepan, add large onion cut into about four,large carrot,top tailed washed.cut into pieces, celery and or leeks.wash cut pieces. Add some herbs like thyme bay leaf or dried mixed herbs Cover water bring to the boil,then reduce heat add peppercorns if you have some or some pepper.I let it tick over for three odd hours.Strain put into a clean pan reduce by about half. Good for soups or stock.

Left of chicken great for soup or turn into pasties. 

To make three good size pasties.

6oz  plain flour

3ozil butter or trex

Pinch salt and pepper.

Rub together flour butter or trex until like breadcrumbs. Add cold water slowly just enough until ingredients stick together. Take care not to wet or dry.leave in the fridge for at least half an hour. 

For pasties dice medium onion, carrot.Cook slowly with some oil until soft, allow to cool add diced chicken,add a little gravy.Spit dough into two large or three roll out,can use a plate as a guide place mix in middle, seal edges with some beaten egg, egg wash pasties dont forget to ensure properly sealed I use a fork. Place in the fridge until ready to cook.About 180 degrees for about half an hour.Also good instead of meat ,red onions leeks parsley, good strong cheese.Veg and spuds of your choice. 

Give it a go.

• Like 1

when i last visited the pharmacy (literally the week before lockdown) i was given 8 weeks of meds (normally restricted to 4 weeks) and told that when i need my next blood test to phone in, or alternatively they will deliver another 8 weeks without the blood test, depending upon the situation.