The Law Of Sod.

JennyMorgan

The weather yesterday was simply perfect, not a cloud in the sky. Woke up this morning to an unexpected frost but the sky was almost cloud free. Summer seems to get earlier every year. Regretfully many of you can not access the rivers and enjoy this wonderful weather. When will it end? When will these crackdowns end? About the same time? Dear old Sod! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Have spent the last few days gardening to good effect. Today I gave up my shorts in favour of trousers and wore a jumper over my T shirt, but it was warm enough out of the wind. As things cool down, I will move to indoor jobs - I have a batch of beer to transfer to bulk storage and a friend has given me a sourdough starter culture, which I intend to use for a batch of posh bread. When those possibilities are exhausted I may go for a bit of creative play with my lathe.  Not missing the broads much - honest!:61_sob:

• Like 1

so todays task after work was getting my colour laserjet running, after an hour i managed to get it to print a smear of yellow, not good. so can i pop out to get a new printer to make work easier, can i heck, ok online order placed, they normally guarantee next day delivery, well if it arrives tomorrow i will be pleasantly surprised. meanwhile the bucket of bits is getting fuller, and the pile of plastic bigger, yes the old printer is donating all its motors and gears and bits to my junk pile, there is a lovely 8mm ground steel rod out of the scanner, tempered glass, all sorts of goodies.

6 hours ago, Cal said:

I fear we have jinxed it guys.

We had our patio extended on Monday (just in the nick of time) and the new gas BBQ arrived yesterday.

Of course it was going to get colder after that.

I think we beat you to it on that one!!  The wife was on at me for ages about putting some decking outside our french doors at the back of the house and even bought patio furniture to go on it before we’d built it.

The wood was duly ordered and at the beginning of August last year, with the help of my brother-in-law and our son, the decking was built.  The patio furniture was unpacked and we even bought a new barbecue.  So far, I’ve has the opportunity to sit at our new table once and aside from testing the bbq after I’d built it up, it’s not been lit.  

We almost lost it a few weeks ago when Storm Ciara struck.  The cover was ripped off the furniture and we haven’t seen it since, so it’s all back in my garage again, waiting for summer to arrive.

Oh we’ll, it might see some use this year, until we can get back to the Broads.

B6B5053F-BB6F-4C2B-9B25-762E274E8D8B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If we're talking decking, i started replacing mine in January, thought i'd have an easy job just replacing the planks with new composite. unfortunatly i found the joists were rotting too so it became a major job. I originally built it abiut 18years ago never thinking i would have to do it again.

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

• Like 5

Our decking,  didn't last 15years, facing the north sea,  meant all the so called coated screws self destructed... It's slowly being replaced by a raised patio.. 

Meanwhile the first task of this 12week isolation has been restoring the garage.  I've discovered it was built by bodgit and run.. Over 40years ago

Power sockets in the lighting circuit .

The roof is secondhand asbestos sheets,  not all the old screwholes were plugged properly and I found a crack,  that they knew about but didn't fix, I know that  because they offset one of the screws. 

The walls are only 2 inch thick breeze blocks!!!  So I'll be reinforcing some of it. 

Today's task,  replacing a window,  that too was secondhand I could tell from unused fittings,  with a rotten frame.  ...

I was in Homebase about a month ago.

And a guy was wandering around the wood section muttering about decking.

So as I was leaving i collared one of the assistants. Said to him the bloke over there wants decking.

How was I to know he was from East London.

It took just one punch! :default_coat:

• Like 1

How's this for a minor one, 

Many years ago I spent many hours researching  then getting the parts and then started building a model of the family coal wagons... 

Then this came out before I finished

s-l300.jpg

22 hours ago, petersjoy said:

If we're talking decking, i started replacing mine in January, thought i'd have an easy job just replacing the planks with new composite. unfortunatly i found the joists were rotting too so it became a major job. I originally built it abiut 18years ago never thinking i would have to do it again.

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

Hi.  Been there and done that!  At the time a decking area at the back of a sloping garden complete with fish pond and summer

house seemed like a good idea.  18 years later I am not so sure!

• Like 1

Ok so my work may not be as good to look at but rather than be idle with the nice weather I decide it was time to fix the leak I had in the shed roof. How hard could it be. I had a roll of felt and a bag of clout nails so of I go up the ladder and start removing old felt. Was this such a good idea?  Needless to say in true boating style it was going to be a bigger job than just new felt. So here I am, self isolating 10ft off the ground with crow bar, claw hammer and pincers removing rotten t&g and what seem like thousands of felt nails.

I must point out I made this shed out of one that was to be pulled down from behind the bungalow on the island and what I rescued from it built one a third of the size but still 8x12 and that was 12 years ago.

Meanwhile back on the roof. I think there were 5 layers of different felt on it with lines of nails for each. Having removed said nails and some of the planking what it really needed was a new roof. Not going to happen due to isolating as per Ruth's doc instructions. Back down ladder again ( I've lost count ) to measure what I might have to repair where I can. So remains of 12mm osb3 sheet found and although nothing like enough for the side I'm repairing it would replace some of the rotten wood. So I have a patchwork roof which will holdup for hopefully a good few years. Total cost £22 for felt and nails. The osb3 was left over from another project.image.thumb.jpeg.d9c488720b4c127563beb73d2d638d06.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a16777803cc6971e2290e13f187580e8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e314e04d1a8666fa66c7a1135dbc3e24.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1f692b79d7e683605913a6407e3b6c6c.jpeg

Now I can spend a while getting this corner of the shed organised and remove the rust spots off some of my tools.

Next job will be service the lawn mowers.

Colin :default_beerchug:

sorry pics a bit fuzzy, taken in haste.

• Like 6

My husband spent Tuesday doing exactly the same thing as our summerhouse roofing felt went AWOL during the recent high winds and Tuesday was the first day when the wind was light enough to do the job of replacing it. Problem is,  we can't get the timber needed to replace the existing rotten facings so job still only half done sadly.  It shouldn't cause a problem as he has wrapped the felt  down over the facing - it just looks a bit naff.

Carole

• Like 1

On 26/03/2020 at 18:57, Mouldy said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . .Oh we’ll, it might see some use this year, until we can get back to the Broads.

B6B5053F-BB6F-4C2B-9B25-762E274E8D8B.jpeg

Well, it’s happened.  Garden furniture out, complete with brolly, ready for lunch.  Such decadence!!

Both cars have been washed and polished since lockdown, the decking has been treated to a coat of preservative, lawns mowed . . . . . . . . . . better slow down or I’ll run out of things to do!

Doesn't make up for the fact we should be on Moonlight Shadow with our son, daughter-in-law and the grandkids, though.  The Law of Sod in action again.

C4C320E3-9DDA-458A-A60E-039B25CB0D62.jpeg

41A0C505-0E33-4ED4-B997-F25B020DD9D7.jpeg

FE41DB99-C196-4AE3-9883-BD104170158C.jpeg

• Like 2