St Olaves Marina

quo vadis

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Quo,

Yes I was down there yesterday..as i think you saw.

Had to top up with more leccy as those damn meters eat up the cards at a ridiculous rate, even though all I have on is a 180w tube heater in the engine room on a stat. Thankfully the thermometer in the engine bay only showed it was just above 0 degrees, though it was -3 outside.

The carpet that covers the engine bay, however, was a frozen solid!

Most, if not all the boats are stuck in Ice except those that have their heating coming on at various intervals.

Sea Hunter is all but stuck with just a few inches of unsolidified water around her.

Getting a bit worried now as we are hoping to go out on the 29th ready for the festivities at coldham on New Years Eve.

Does anyone have an ice breaker attachment for a Sealine???

Just seen your "ice Pick"...for those reading..sea Hunter is about 20 yds on the opposite side of the pontoon!

Adam aka Leroy Bling... :pirate :pirate :pirate

Hi Adam, I agree with the leccy comments, you probobly already know but in case you dont you need to buy lots later this week as the office is closed untill early January dont get caught out. We are supposed to be going out for new year, unless the weather alters that wont be happening either :cry

Hi Adam, I agree with the leccy comments, you probobly already know but in case you dont you need to buy lots later this week as the office is closed untill early January dont get caught out. We are supposed to be going out for new year, unless the weather alters that wont be happening either :cry

Hi Quo,

yes I have made a note in my diary to get some more leccy cards before they shut...

I dont know about you, but I find we have been using far more leccy that I expect to.

A 20 kw card at £6.00 odd seems to last no time at all. All we have running is the battery charger/management system and the tube heater.

We did notice the fridge was consuming extortionate amounts but now that has been turned off.

Thoughts???

LB :pirate :pirate :pirate

At 30P a kw you are paying over double what we are paying at Reedham which is a good job as Ian is burning about 5Kw an hour keeping the marina clear :naughty:

post-442-136713782844_thumb.jpg

If you take the 20kwh card and divide by the load (180watts heater+50watts battery charger on maintenance rate) 20kwh divided by 0.23kw = 87 hours minimum use time or longer if the thermostat cuts the heater out for a time.

cheers Jonathan

Fortunately at Reedham there is no risk of running out of electric as we are all on in line meters and the owner does visit most days to do the daily rounds and make sure the power is on to all the boats.

Don't think I would like to leave Clanny where there is no one to check on her and a risk of running out of power, especially not at that price.

Always a risk when you rely on shore power but at least it is mitigated as much as possible.

At 30P a kw you are paying over double what we are paying at Reedham which is a good job as Ian is burning about 5Kw an hour keeping the marina clear :naughty:

[attachment=0]Reedham.jpg[/attachment]

If you take the 20kwh card and divide by the load (180watts heater+50watts battery charger on maintenance rate) 20kwh divided by 0.23kw = 87 hours minimum use time or longer if the thermostat cuts the heater out for a time.

cheers Jonathan

hi johnathan,

yup that sounds about right in terms of usage and I still think we are getting ripped off for the leccy price wise two guns

It was -7 degrees at 4pm yesterday at the marina, and I wanted to check the tube heater was doing its job!!

Thankfully, it is as the engine room temp was + 1.5 degrees.

Did notice an awful lot of boats that clearly didnt have any heating at all though and shudder to think what could happen to them.

Unlike reedham, I dont believe that they check whereas when we were at Goodchilds, they would always keep you topped up weith leccy and bill monthly.

brrr...hope this cold snap ends soon or NYE could be an issue!!!

lb :pirate :pirate :pirate

The temperature here has been down to minus 11. My boat is on the Fenland waterways, about 20 miles from where I live. I went down yesterday and have never seen the marina as frozen. Usually there is a little water around the hull that hasn't frozen, but this time Cattleya was totally frozen in.

The temperature in the cabin was minus 7 :-(

The engine bay was a toasty 4C thanks to a 3ft tube heater and another 200watt heater. However I had forgotten to drain the shower and taps in the cabin, which are frozen solid :o

Hello Lighthouse Keeper i see you're Cummins powered, were there no alternatives at the time? It's at this point i'd like some advice from you if at all possible. I have a bit of a predicament and your knowledge of all things marine would no doubt extend far beyond the reaches of some mere mortals. My problem is that i've been experiencing a few problems with my old ship just lately but have been fortunate enough to have been left a sum of money and was wondering should i buy a new Sealine or put the rest to it and buy a reconditioned outboard for my Shetland. I would value your comments greatly, cheers:bow

Firstly may I welcome you to the site Wombat, I will try and answer your questions as best I can.

My boat is designed to be powered by 2 engines developing 500Hp, My first option was to fit Caterpillar Diesel engines as these IMOA are the best marine diesel engines money can buy, exactly I could not afford them. My next choice was to be Volvo Penta but after measuring the lengh and breadth of the engine compartment and working along with the Volvo Penta technical support team it became obvious no matter however we tried we could not fit 4 engines. So I made my next choice, but on reading a copy of the IMO MARPOL publication annexe 1997 concerning noxious emmisions at sea I had to cancel my order with Perkins, since air cooled engines was not really an option I had to take 5th best and put up with Cummins. I hope this answers Part 1.

Right now to tackle the second and IMHO the most important part of you question as this could affect a great many people not only on this forum but across the complete boating spectrum. There are at the moment a great range of powerfull, economical,and reliable second hand outboards on the market, but mark my words dont jump into this blind, hold onto your money old chap, work a few extra hours over the next couple of days and treat yourself to a brand new unit. With this you will get an operators manual and 12 months warranty giving you peace of mind.

I trust I have helped you and look forward to any comments you wish to return Bob :wave