A Lighter Note - Thank You So Much For The Web Cams

Hylander

Why has no one made a fuss before about who appears on all the webcams - hundreds and hundreds of people have appeared on them before and recognisable and I don't recall this fuss? You all appear daily on those put up around the country for "security " purposes in town centres, car parks, and around our streets and yet you don't bat an eyelid!!

Time to get a grip folks and don't expect too much help from those good (!) GDPR people - last time I heard that Dept had a miniscule staff and bigger fish to fry!! Has any individual or operation such as we are discussing yet been prosecuted, or even warned, for breaching the provisions - it seems this was a barrack room lawyers and indeed lawyers paradise who continue to benefit from"guidance" packs and way way beyond normal people such as you and I!

You had all better just enjoy the cameras for what they are before idiots start removing them for fear of prosecution when you would all have only yourselves to blame!!!!!:default_sad:

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

To expand on your point a little further Vaughan and why I think it was right for Hylander to mask out the face in the picture posted, let's consider the webcam at Herbert Woods that is pointed at the bridge. Let's assume a boat attempts to go through the bridge and does something wrong and crashes into the bridge. It is possible that at any one time there could be 10 or 20 people viewing the webcam and witness the collision. If someone then started a topic on here about what they had just seen on the webcam that would just be another discussion. A bit like someone saying I've been up the road shopping and just witnessed the most stupid, or funny, or dangerous thing etc, and then talking about it. However it is possible to load utilities on your PC that enable you to record or capture the footage from the webcam you are viewing. If you then posted (published) a clip of that footage to a forum such as this, with a view to ridiculing that persons actions, or implying some kind of criminal intent, then you leave yourself as the publisher and the platform you publish on, the forum, open to action, especially if they could be identified because there is a clear shot of their face, or perhaps the boat registration number etc. Keeping such footage for your own personal amusement is an entirely different matter.

which is why we have in the TOS the part about just that issue, of posting footage of someone doing something wrong where the persons involved or the boat name or number are clearly identifiable, then it shouldnt be posted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marshman said:

Why has no one made a fuss before about who appears on all the webcams -

Some years ago, I actually did on both the Broads forums. It was regarding the camera at the Wroxham Hotel. Long gone now. This camera used to actually pan down onto guests sat at the outside tables doing what customers do!

I questioned the "voyeuristic" nature of this and,  very oddly!, there was a long debate about this very issue! Fancy that indeed!!!  I seem to recall this actually resulted in the Hotel making changes to the views the camera displayed.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Hmmmm...   what do Herbert Woods not want us to see?? They have disabled the pontoon camera and the panning camera is stationary on the bridge!

Hopefully they are giving the pontoon camera a good clean. There has been a spiders web over the lens (Not evident daytime) for so long the tenant must be the size of a tea plate by now !

41 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Hmmmm...   what do Herbert Woods not want us to see?? They have disabled the pontoon camera and the panning camera is stationary on the bridge!

How exciting,  something going on that we are not allowed to see.    Get real it is probably a technical hitch.      I see the web cam at Horning , the one by the bungalows is out of action as well,  perhaps they are cahoots with HW. :default_hiding:

I do really think we should all get out more....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Or... there's no evidence left from whatever it was they didn't want us to see.

Conspiracies theories are immortal. (and never go to bed.)   :-)

You are a little tinker (old fashioned expression Mum used to say) - what are you????

The web cam at Horning is actual down at the moment and the holiday cottage folk are trying to get it fixed.  Had a nice email to confirm this fact.   They thought they had sussed the fault the other day but no it seems.

29 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Well, seems more twiddling is needed! Won't connect up here!

To coin an expression often used in this house by a certain someone - well what have you done with it this time?

I will let Carol know once more.