Corona And A Side Issue!

Some already know my position, but for those who don't, I'm currently staying in Harlow with a friend of mine and his mother (in her 90s).

Sooner or later I'm going to have to live on my boat which at the moment is a 27' Elysian Bounty. This is a bit small to be a comfortable home, so I'm keeping an eye open for something a bit bigger.

My query is, What do I do if I see a boat being advertised that suits my purposes? Can I go to Norfolk and look it over? It may need to become my home even whilst this virus is rampant.

Second question. As I am in the "vulnerable" group (type two diabetes) I decided to get off my backside and sort out a will. (been meaning to do that for years.) I shall need to sign it in front of two witnesses. For various reasons the two people I am staying with cannot do this. Is this "Urgent business"? 

I would be very interested in your views on this.

PS, When I'm living on a boat, there will be no evidence that it is my home. ie, no stuff on the bank and no overstaying 24hrs etc. etc. 

• Like 2

MM, I wish you well in your search for an appropriate boat. With regard to actually viewing or buying a boat at this time, the closest parallel would be buying a car, or buying or selling a house. Car dealerships are currently closed. This morning the government has asked where possible that house sales are paused. Where people have exchanged contracts but not completed they are being asked to reach an amicable new completion date. If they really must move then they have to do it under their own steam without the use of removal firms etc. All house viewing have effectively stopped and estate agents are allowed to visit their office but not open the door to the public.

In context of all the above I would imagine that buying or selling a boat for any purpose would be extremely difficult if not impossible.

The following link may be of some use with regards to your question about a will

https://www.step.org/news/making-will-time-coronavirus

• Like 2

You may be able to conduct an initial boat viewing by WhatsApp, Facetime etc. I believe Sutton Staithe Boatyard are doing this, so maybe others as well. You could at least get an idea of those which are worth investigating further and those you could reject without wasting further time.

I see no reason why people cannot witness a will, or indeed any document,  using social distancing - just wash your hands after! However I would still recommend using a professional to draft it as home produced wills rarely achieve precisely what the testator intended!

I think many of the brokerage firms will have packed up for the time being - I know that NYA have.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

so I'm keeping an eye open for something a bit bigger.

https://norfolk.boatshed.com/ocean_30-boat-271243.html

Have you seen this one? Apart from the stainless work and whatever that is on the roof it appears to tick many of your boxes...

Viewing might pose an issue right now but perhaps you might be first in the queue once the we get the green light to travel again...?

• Thanks 1

Back in the 80's my parents bought a house in West Dorset. They had always admired the property, especially my father as it had quite extensive single bank fishing rights along the River Brit that held good stocks of native Brown Trout with a good run of Sea Trout in Autumn.

It was always said that the house would not come on the market as it was being left to the owners niece who had cared for the infirm Spinster over many years.

To their surprise, whilst wandering through Bridport one day, they saw the house in Kennedy's Estate Agents. My father went straight in and offered the asking price which was accepted.

It was only after they had moved in that they found out why it had been sold. The old lady had a DIY will leaving all her "Goods and Chattels" to her niece. However Goods and Chattels are not land or property in law. The rest of the family dived in and the property was sold and the proceeds shared out. A result very far from the old lady's wishes.

I would email the vendors if the two you have seen and arrange a viewing when lockdown is lifted so as to be first in line , a knock on effect of this current situation sadly is that I believe there will be many more on the market due to financial constraints and change in circumstances for a lot of people .

if during lock down it becomes essential that you vacate your current address then your travelling to your boat I would say becomes a genuine necessary journey that you will need to make .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

How long have we been in "lockdown"? just under a week. How many boats have I seen that warrant further serious investigation? TWO !! before that it was three in 6 months!

It will be even worse once you decide to actually buy one.........