Press Release From BA

Bytheriver

BA put this out overnight - EDP do not seem to have picked it up yet

Press Release - Broads Authority fighting for the Broads amid COVID-19 crisis

26 March 2020, for immediate release

Broads Authority fighting for the Broads amid COVID-19 crisis

The Broads Authority, like many public authorities, is working hard to react to the terrible crisis facing the world at the moment, but has some unique challenges to overcome.

It has prioritised 3 main activities:

Keeping people on the water safe

Proactively supporting the tourism economy

Protecting the Broads and its waterways for the future

John Packman, Chief Executive commented:

“Coronavirus has made us all take stock of what is truly important and I am in awe of all the exceptional NHS staff, emergency services and all those dedicating their time to help those in most need.

“The work of the Broads Authority is nowhere near as critical however we have prioritised some important aspects of our work as there are potentially some huge impacts and very real threats for the Broads.

“Firstly, we have taken steps to ensure the safety of boaters that are still on the water. Everyone must follow Government instructions to stay at home, however, some people have no choice but to be on their boat as it is their only home. Our rangers are still out there, keeping those that are on the water safe”

Broads Control, which monitors the waterways and helps coordinate responses to emergencies, will still operate. Great Yarmouth Yacht Station and Reedham Quay will be staffed from this weekend in the interests of public safety because mooring at these locations can be very challenging at times. The Norwich Yacht Station will remain closed.

The ‘live aboard’ community includes vulnerable people who may need help. The Authority has compiled a list of businesses that are still able to offer vital services here.

“Secondly, is the need to keep the area in good shape, ready for when we are all able to return and enjoy them again.

“The hire boat industry faces a huge threat and we have grave concerns for it, along with the wider tourism economy which is so vital for the area supporting over 7,000 jobs. Hire boat companies have lost their main income stream. This has impacts for the Broads as a whole and the Broads Authority is fighting as best it can to continue maintaining the Broads so the area is in a good place when all of this has passed. “Our staff are still out there dredging and maintaining moorings and will continue to do so until the Government advises otherwise.

“Everything we do to maintain navigation of the 125 miles of waterways is supported by tolls. If that income dries up we have a massive problem. Our financial mechanism means that we are not allowed to divert our Defra funding to support Navigation. Of the £3.5m or so we get from tolls, around a third of this is from the hire boat industry.

To try and help hire boat companies The Authority has been proactive in drawing to the companies attention a clause in its legislation specifically designed for boatyards stating that where hire boats are not being used and are effectively in storage they are not subject to a toll.

“In doing so we could have created a potential funding gap for ourselves and I have written to the Secretary of State for the Environment (along with the CEOs of British Marine and the Canals and Rivers Trust who face similar issues) raising this very point and asking for urgent financial support.”

The same rule cannot apply to private boaters that have a vessel on the water. These have to be tolled and this has resulted in some calls for discounts or a ‘toll holiday’, although the vast majority are continuing to pay for their tolls. The Authority will be sympathetic to individual circumstances such as extreme financial hardship.

“If we were to offer all private boat owners reduced tolls it would jeopardise our ability to maintain the waterways, keeping them safe, useable and attractive to visitors.

“Boaters have also asked about Boat Safety Certificates (The equivalent of a vehicle MOT) that have lapsed. We are awaiting clarification from the Boat Safety Scheme but again we will be mindful of the circumstances we all find ourselves in and take a sensible approach.

“Whilst we all long to seek refuge and relaxation in the Broads and enjoy our unique National Park again, now is not the time. There are much more pressing issues facing many people and I would like to thank everyone for their understanding and patience during this difficult time.”

Greg Munford, Chief Executive, Richardsons Leisure Ltd said: 

“Last week we closed our entire hire fleet business, both for day boats and holiday cruisers. During these tough times, as always we appreciate the support of the Broads Authority and the work they do to maintain these beautiful waterways and moorings, so that the Broads continues to be a well-kept, wonderful place to be for when guests return to both us and other operators in the area. Bringing a much-needed boost to the local economy.”

-Ends-

Additional information:

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news/coronavirus-covid-19/information-for-liveaboard-boaters

Notes to editors

The Broads Authority

The Broads Authority has the important job of looking after the Broads and the interests of the people who live, work and visit there. The Broads Authority has two purposes identical to the other national park family members relating to conservation and promoting people's understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of the area. It also has a third purpose to look after the waterways for navigation. In addition, it is a planning authority and has a duty to foster the economic and social well-being of its communities.

www.broads-authority.gov.uk

For further information, images and interviews, please contact: 

Laura Middleton, Communications Officer (Media & PR) on Laura.Middleton@broads-authority.gov.uk or 01603 756040.

Images © Broads Authority

Rob Leigh

Head of Communications

• Thanks 4

Would be a definite yes from me if it wasn`t for the blatant reference to a national park, what sort of mentality have these people got unnecessarily antagonising the very people they want support from, there was no need or justification to include that it adds no value to the statement.

Fred

• Like 4

yes I was with him up to unique National Park, an unnecessary piece of posturing in light of the situation. it was so out of place that it looked as though some inventiveness went into placing it into the press release.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Would be a definite yes from me if it wasn`t for the blatant reference to a national park, what sort of mentality have these people got unnecessarily antagonising the very people they want support from, there was no need or justification to include that it adds no value to the statement.

Fred

My feelings exactly. Well said, Fred, and thank you.

In the face of what is happening in this country and the world at large to people and their loved ones, their businesses and their futures do you think a break from this constant "nitpicking" would be in order?

Surely I am not the only member here who is sick to the back teeth of the same tune. If it is not bl**dy road signs dominating this forum for weeks  then it is two words in an important communique from an organisation doing an excellent job in a time of crisis.

I am going to log out and take another holiday from this forum, which is a shame for me as self isolation means just that for me. As a widower I am truely on my own and enjoy being part of the discussions.

I would add that I think this forum is being shown in an appalling light to visitors by a few members in a time of National Emergency.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I have to agree ChrisB.

At a time when we are opening emergency hospitals to provide 10,000 beds and 4,000 morgue spaces in London, Birmingham and Manchester, with more to follow, is it really appropriate to keep on with this campaign. There will be a time in the future for that and many will support it.

I would respecfully suggest now is not the time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

In the face of what is happening in this country and the world at large to people and their loved ones, their businesses and their futures do you think a break from this constant "nitpicking" would be in order?

Surely I am not the only member here who is sick to the back teeth of the same tune. If it is not bl**dy road signs dominating this forum for weeks  then it is two words in an important communique from an organisation doing an excellent job in a time of crisis.

I am going to log out and take another holiday from this forum, which is a shame for me as self isolation means just that for me. As a widower I am truely on my own and enjoy being part of the discussions.

I would add that I think this forum is being shown in an appalling light to visitors by a few members in a time of National Emergency.

Thank you for the kind words there Chris. We certainly aren't anywhere near as important as our NHS/teacher/refuse collector/supermarket (etc.) heroes right now but we're trying to do our best, from the Rangers still out on the water to our tolls department who have been busy fielding answering queries all day.

It certainly hasn't been a quiet week in the (non job :default_biggrin: ) Communications Team this week with the almost constant communicating of changing Government guidance to our stakeholders and answering hundreds of questions from some (very understandably confused) boaters, visitors and other members of the public.

Speaking on a personal level it is always greatly appreciated to get some nice feedback every now and again.

Stay safe all and enjoy your weekends (... indoors or within your immediate local area that is!)

Tom

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Fred

Tom, it would be nice to think that members of your hardworking, indispensable(!!) department have read and inwardly digested the gist of Fred's wisdom. 

In the meantime stay safe, and thanks for keeping us informed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

I would totally agree with you if and I say if the BA and other organisations also refrained from playing politics, , at a time when we should all be singing from the same hymn sheet and supporting the government there are still to many public figures trying to make political gain from the situation.

Fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, BroadsAuthority said:

Thank you for the kind words there Chris. We certainly aren't anywhere near as important as our NHS/teacher/refuse collector/supermarket (etc.) heroes right now but we're trying to do our best, from the Rangers still out on the water to our tolls department who have been busy fielding answering queries all day.

It certainly hasn't been a quiet week in the (non job :default_biggrin: ) Communications Team this week with the almost constant communicating of changing Government guidance to our stakeholders and answering hundreds of questions from some (very understandably confused) boaters, visitors and other members of the public.

Speaking on a personal level it is always greatly appreciated to get some nice feedback every now and again.

Stay safe all and enjoy your weekends (... indoors or within your immediate local area that is!)

Tom

Tom, I like I am sure everyone else appreciates the difficulties you are all working under, all we ask is that you stick to reporting and updating the facts and leave the spin and misrepresentation for other times if you consider them even worthy of repeating then.

Fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In a nutshell most of us need and generally appreciate information. What some if not many of us don't appreciate is the constant drip feed of annoying propaganda, especially as it's based on a false premise.

A communication department is a useful and worthy role, the same can not be said of the Authority's office of propaganda and misinformation!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

Do not log out Chris. We need your council.

I am also appalled by the insensitivity of some of our members. Back off. We don't need it. We don't need your posturing.

May I appeal to you all for a constructive, beneficial contribution towards the most challenging of issues of our lifetime.

Andrew

• Like 9

Perhaps what we also do not need is the constant nitpicking and negativity towards the BA either!! If Chris goes, which I hope he doesn't, that will be 2 significant posters who have gone as a result! The trouble is that those who do it just have no idea of the damage they do - either that or they don't care either! If they did perhaps they would just stop it!!

I shall soon be feeling very lonely!!!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I am sick of the broken record too Chris.

• Like 10

Andrew, I will point out the obvious, the Broads will be around long after the Corona Virus has been tamed. 

In this instance it was the Authority that chose to use this virus to promote their objectionable NP agenda. Had they not done so then all would have been quiet on the Eastern Front, so to speak. It was a crass comment at an inappropriate moment, hardly our fault.

Like you, and others, at this moment I have more important matters to worry about, like my family.  

• Like 2

I am sorry if people feel offended but just because I keep my personal life private it dosn`t mean I am anymore immune from the current situation than anyone else quite the contrary, however if we are to remain sane and keep our mental health then we need to maintain as near normal life as possible not retreat into shut down, as for broken records I am as fed up as anyone it just depends which record you think is broken.

Fred

• Like 2

I don't often post these days but read the forum regularly. However, I'm afraid that I'm now done with it. The crass insensitivity of some people is beyond my tolerance level.

48 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Had they not done so then all would have been quiet on the Eastern Front, so to speak. It was a crass comment at an inappropriate moment, hardly our fault.

Sorry JM, everyone also had the choice to let it go for the time being.

Why attack an otherwise informative post at the moment, as you say, we all have family and friends to worry about now including every member at the BA, Go after it in the future if you want but for goodness sake call a truce now.

My earlier post was wrong on the number of morgue spaces being created, Birmingham is to have 12000, yes twelve thousand, now compare that to a line in an information article.

• Like 3

I’m another one that is fed up with the ‘broken record’. You are doing more harm to your cause than you realise and also harming the forum as people are saying they want to take a holiday or completely disengage from the forum as a result.

• Like 3