Where Is This?

When we are allowed... If you've not been to hardly mill when it's running get your ar5e there, the old guy that does the tour knows it inside out and all the restoration details and you can go all the way to the top and walk around the platform, they have most of the patterns there for bits that had to be cast for the job.

Very much worth the few quid they charge for a very interesting visit, truly a broadland gem.

• Like 1

My Grace is the same Helen but she tells me she will let me take her up the tower some time, Ranworth tower that is :default_norty:

We will have to have a tour round Hardley Mill some time too, I've never actually done it, which is a tad strange being moored so closely to it, although it's not really my glass of beer to be honest, but I will go round it some time.

7 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I should have added, I chickened out...can’t stand heights, but took some photos of my husband and son touring the upper reaches of the mill. Wild horses wouldn’t get me up there!

You and me both Helen, I managed to go up the Stracy Mill being as it was all internal stairs, at the lighthouse at St. Mary's Island in the northeast the stairs are open internally I only managed the first 8 foot and had to come back down, my sister in law had to do the same. Tan & Jon didn't have an issue.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

You and me both Helen, I managed to go up the Stracy Mill being as it was all internal stairs, at the lighthouse at St. Mary's Island in the northeast the stairs are open internally I only managed the first 8 foot and had to come back down, my sister in law had to do the same. Tan & Jon didn't have an issue.

Regards

Alan

Me also,three steps on a ladder is enough for me.One of the truly amazing places we've ever been to.Was the Grand Canyon. We did the helicopter over the cannon. It takes your breath  away.After that we were allowed to have a walk around. Marina and others got close to the edge and said have a look.No way even though it was about -5.I broke out into a sweat and felt worried for them.Yet I love flying. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Regards

Alan

Me too. 

Some years back, Karen and I went to a lighthouse, can't remember whether it was Pirtland bill or the Lizard. The stairs spiraled inwards, as they would, and the first part was open, about 15ftish, and then there was about 8ft fully enclosed, the above that it was all open. Needless to say, I got about 10ft up the stairs and chickened out. Karen wouldn't go up on her own, so that was money, which was tight at the time, waisted as they wouldn't give us a refund. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I’ve not even managed to get to the top of St Helen’s Ranworth. Went up the enclosed staircase within the tower fine, but then there are those two ladders within the bellchamber. Eek!

If you’ve managed to get up the spiral stairs to the bell tower, that’s the worst bit!  When you get the opportunity next, push yourself to get to the top.  I’m no lover of heights, but it is worth it, especially on a clear day.

422A0DEA-0FBF-4CA4-838A-271956A7C852.jpeg

• Like 3

Beccles Church Tower is also well worth going up as well, as is Horsey Mill.  I agree it is that last bit at Ranworth which is seriously hard and then opening up the hatch - went up there a few years ago in a really strong wind - scary!

Can you go up Happisburgh Lighthouse ?

28 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

If you’ve managed to get up the spiral stairs to the bell tower, that’s the worst bit!  When you get the opportunity next, push yourself to get to the top.  I’m no lover of heights, but it is worth it, especially on a clear day.

422A0DEA-0FBF-4CA4-838A-271956A7C852.jpeg

I once did a television interview up there on behalf of the Wherry Trust, with the Albion on the broad in the background. The cameraman was sitting up on the wall of the tower, with nothing behind him but a drop straight down to the graveyard!

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

I’ve not even managed to get to the top of St Helen’s Ranworth. Went up the enclosed staircase within the tower fine, but then there are those two ladders within the bellchamber. Eek!

I climbed to the top of St Helen’s about 25 years ago, it was scary but the views are awesome. There is no way whatever that I could do it now, too crumbly! ☹️

• Haha 1

I've been to the top of St Helen's a few times. On one occasion I took a picture of Happisburgh lighthouse with a telephone lens, unfortunately I have mislaid that set of slides.

My wife came up with me once but only managed two rungs on the first ladder.

Last September I climbed to the top of Harlech Castle. I didn't really want to because of my asthma, but the friend I was with is 85 and he wanted to do it. Fortunately there is large inset window about halfway, so stopped there for a minute and a couple of puffs of the blue inhaler. It was worth the climb.

I think that’s why I’m scared of heights. As I grew up in Anglesey a trip to a castle was quite a frequent occurrence: Harlech, Beaumaris, Caernarfon, Conway, Criccieth, and the Welsh built ones like Dolgarrog. We’ve done them all several times, when we were children and then when my kids were younger.

In the 70s there weren’t the safety barriers that you find nowadays on top of the walls. :default_icon_eek:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Me also,three steps on a ladder is enough for me..... 

Same here - I feel most uncomfortable going up 3 or 5 rungs on a  ladder cleaning the gutters on the house.

Yet I love flying. 

Same here (& I am at the controls) - though I do sometime wonder "what am I doing here" when thermalling under a dark cloud at over 6000'.  Currently we are all grounded due to this virus...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Surely its easy to keep 2m apart for social distancing at 6000ft?

You would think so, particularly when flying solo.  Even when training (I am not an instructor) there are only two on board.
The poor winch driver is alone, the log-keeper usually also.  But there is bound to be a small group at the take-off area (gliding is teamwork on the ground).

However over here all sporting activities have been stopped & gliding is undeniably a sport.

• Thanks 1

A mate of mine solo shoots, regular.  He keeps our social circle supplied with fresh Rabbit.  He also is loved by the local farmers / villagers alike for keeping down Fox numbers to a manageable level.  This for him is a totally solo pastime from leaving his house to getting back home.  The police have advised / ordered him to stay at home for the duration

Griff

• Confused 1

Hmmm, Didn't this whole virus thing start off at a market selling wild animals for food?

It apparently did, Bats as I have been informed

Eating wild rabbit in this country (As long as it is Mixi free of course) has never done anyone any harm whatsoever for decades if not centuries.

Where it kicked off in China is right where their chemical warfare development facility is located

Coincidence?

Answers on a very large postcard

Griff