A Fully Sanitised BA Press Release!

JennyMorgan

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Indeed, so long as that change is demonstratively positive for Broads users

who is qualified to say any change is positive for the future of the broads  certainly not you or I

the young generations may well want what you hate, we cannot impose our outdated ideas on the younger generations however hard we try

• Like 1

Young versus old has been a bit of a minefield for generations.

As parents we have to believe we do what we do for the sake of our children but we have to accept that when we hand over the baton we may not like where they run with it.

That doesn't mean we stop trying to guide their footsteps. I usually find that if an argument is put forward quoting examples of previous experience I am at least listened to, even if they then go off to find a different approach. No bad thing.

Whether the Broads change or not is not the issue. First we should be trying to ensure the broads exist and only secondly should we ask in what form.

If, as seems to me may be the case, the broads are shrinking in terms of navigable area, we should be allowed to consider if this is due to insufficient or misdirected resources and/or regulation.

Even if it is there may be little we can do about it. I think it would be very remiss not to try.

However the point has been made elsewhere that this is not the time. Monitor the situation by all means, pass any misgivings to the Broads Authority, if you wish, but lets cut some slack in terms of keeping things going for now.

Marshman, I realise you were trying to make a point but the fruit (And vegetable) situation is not, I suggest, the best example. Even if we were still fully in the EU travel restrictions would still be making that particular issue a problem.

Brexit was indeed a generational battle to some degree and I recall disagreements with younger staff I was managing at the time, but as I pointed out above, arguments based on experience can win the day. I was able to admit to being around pre-EU and regale them with tales of life then. They only knew life in the EU. Mind you I had to pick examples carefully!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, marshman said:

Yes indeed I agree with some that what are children want may be entirely different to what the future generation want and although I am one myself , I do sometimes think the elderly quite often lose touch with reality when they decide that what they want and what they think, is the right way forward. The "olds" cannot often see that they might be wrong - and that includes me!

A very classic example of that was when the Brexit referendum result was announced, I had one of my children in floods of tears , quite simply because they were upset that the oldies had decided the way forward! They of course had a point  - its already noticeable that calls are going out for volunteers to help with the harvesting of the soft fruit crop this year!

While I largely agree it is really a question of balance, while a lot of us oldies may see things differently to the younger generations and can still learn from them there are a lot of things that only experience teaches us, it was  on tv this morning how much at the moment reflects on war time experience,  yes the younger generation have moved on and are better equipped to deal with change while in reality  many think they know it all while they really know very little, not  everything from the past relates to today's world not everything new is better we see that all the time from the influence social media has now.

Fred

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chameleon said:

you are living in cloud cuckoo land pete, the broads will change , what you are saying equates to someone brought up with steam trains  trying to stop diesels and electric becuse they want things the same for future generations,

question ;- who says  your children / grand children will want the same  as you,       

An interesting analogy Chameleon. This country scored an horrendous own goal when it chose diesel trains to replace steam. At the same time the rest of Europe was choosing electric and the UK was left behind with an infrastructure which was outdated almost as soon as it was built. 

In the same way the Broads will change, but is it not worthwhile trying to make sure that we do not make mistakes now which will echo through future generations and be very difficult, if not impossible to recover from?

I too would like my children to have the opportunity to enjoy the broads in whatever way THEY want to. I would not like to see them left with a Broadland which they are told how to enjoy because of the decisions on previous generations. 

• Like 4