Football And Corona

On 03/04/2020 at 07:13, BroadAmbition said:

In no way am I defending the sky high wages that footballers enjoy but we need some balance here.

This is hypothetical but there you go.  Imagine a footballer that earns say £50'000 a week or £200'00 a month.  Straight off they are paying 40% tax plus however much NI so that £200'00 is down to £120'000. (less NI)  Most earners spend or live to their means, big earners - expensive outgoings.  Plus a footballers career is how long on average at the top on top money  - ten years?  So their typical mortgage won't be over a 30 year period like the rest of us, you can bet their big expensive mansion is mortgaged over ten years or so to get it paid off before their earnings drop down

They may well be able to afford a pay cut like the majority of the working population right now but down to 80% for them might just be more of a problem for them than it is for us.  a 20% cut on not a lot isn't a lot, 20% down on £200'000 is £40'000 - makes you think

Griff

Yes I really feel sorry for them too , maybe crowd funding would help them a bit ? Bless' em.. .....

• Like 1

I think the idea being suggested of a 30% wage cut is welcome. Also further help to the NHS and communities. I not one of those knocking footballers and football.For sure the top players earn money most of us can only dream of.There are also many that are on la low income. I long believed money  should filter down to the lower leagues. 

The point I was making is to set an example ,I believe they will agree a wage cut.I know I keep mentioning it.There are many in business that are not treating there workforce well. Think they need to just look at the way they treat there workforce. 

ah but if they are furloughed, they will get 80% or £2500 a month max, this means they would be on a lot less. but considering their 'work' is not essential, and they cannot work from home, they should be setting the example, not calling for an exception to be made, if they are exempted, then others will consider themselves to qualify for exemption, and then - ad infinitum.

• Like 3

Bill Shankley said " football is not just a matter of life and death , its much more important than that " I always found that comment puerile and pathetic , sums whole football cult up to me.

4 hours ago, Jbx5 said:

Just goes to show kicking a ball around isn’t important at all. The nurses and doctors should be getting their pay and the footballers getting the reverse pay 😀

John

On 03/04/2020 at 07:13, BroadAmbition said:

In no way am I defending the sky high wages that footballers enjoy but we need some balance here.

This is hypothetical but there you go.  Imagine a footballer that earns say £50'000 a week or £200'00 a month.  Straight off they are paying 40% tax plus however much NI so that £200'00 is down to £120'000. (less NI)  Most earners spend or live to their means, big earners - expensive outgoings.  Plus a footballers career is how long on average at the top on top money  - ten years?  So their typical mortgage won't be over a 30 year period like the rest of us, you can bet their big expensive mansion is mortgaged over ten years or so to get it paid off before their earnings drop down

They may well be able to afford a pay cut like the majority of the working population right now but down to 80% for them might just be more of a problem for them than it is for us.  a 20% cut on not a lot isn't a lot, 20% down on £200'000 is £40'000 - makes you think

Griff

Yes I really feel sorry for them too , maybe crowd funding would help them a bit ?...... 

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I see that the Tractor Boys are a bit quiet this morning 

Ipswich Town have become an embarrassment to the good people of Suffolk. Thank goodness I grew up as a Norwich City supporter!  Beating Ipswich should be taken for granted, not celebrated. Had Donny been beaten then they might just as well have turned off all the lights, gone home and hung up their boots. No longer any glory in beating Ipswich.