Never Again

ZimbiIV

I love to see the skills exhibited by the restorers on Repair Shop, but I too feel that the "emoting" bit has become way too prominent of late. Truth is, you never really know what you are watching on TV and the BBC manipulates everything within an inch of its life - seems to be in its DNA.  I also wonder about some of the back stories of the items brought in. If this is such a treasured family heirloom, why have you left it in a damp, rat-infested shed for the last 50 years?  

You see the same hands at work on Bargain Hunt, where the format has been twisted almost beyond recognition in an attempt to draw more excitement out of the programme, but this usually fails when you get into the auction room with an audience of 3 pensioners and a dog, none of whom have any cash; Flog It, where many items are under-valued to create drama when they go over the estimate and Antiques Road Show, where the valuations are so high that we talk about "BBC money" which bears no relation to the real world for most items.

I too spend more and more of my time watching restoration videos on YT, which tend to go into the level of detail I need in order to be satisfied and generally avoid the over-production pitfall. 

One consolation is that, during the period of self-isolation, many of the shows we have been used to can no longer be made, so we may see big changes next year. That or a lot of repeats of the trashy stuff.

1 hour ago, SteveO said:

the BBC manipulates everything within an inch of its life

A friend who was involved with Songs of Praise at their local church told me how long it took to shoot the episode - hours and hours! He smiled, she coughed, they looked the wrong way, he looked at the camera and so on and so on. It completely spoiled it all for the local community. Katherine Jenkins featured in the final production but she wasn’t there at the filming!

57 minutes ago, wombat nee blownup said:

I might give them my boat to bring back to near new condition. That’d test them.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

you mean your late grandfathers boat onboard which he met your grand mother, conceived your father before taking it out to sea to rescue the crew of an upturned fishing boat during which a narwhal punctured the hull leaving his first mate to sit in the hole and plug it with his buttocks whilst being nibbled by moray eels. 

You've got to get with the backstory!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Paul said:

you mean your late grandfathers boat onboard which he met your grand mother, conceived your father before taking it out to sea to rescue the crew of an upturned fishing boat during which a narwhal punctured the hull leaving his first mate to sit in the hole and plug it with his buttocks whilst being nibbled by moray eels. 

You've got to get with the backstory!

And all that happened on Hickling. You wait till you hear what happened on Breydon.

• Like 2