If Some Are Thought Hard, This Really Is!!! Where Is It?

Ok then for the really old Broadsmen out there, where are these photos taken? I actually don't know exactky so any help identifying the place would be really helpful to an archivist! Date unknown but probably after 1922 as that was when the name changes to Gleaner. The wherry was launched as the Orion but the name changed to Gleaner around that time. I have an idea of where it is, but any idea you real old fogies?????????:default_biggrin:

Gleaner.jpg

Gleaner 2.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

My guess would be Norwich but no certain idea as to where in that fine city. Just a thought though, first picture, trees on a slight hill, near Carrow Bridge perhaps? Afraid I wasn't around during those halcyon days. 

The wooded hill looks quite steep to me. I can think of few places like that. My guesses would be

1. River Yare, ie up the bit that carries on when city traffic joins the Wensum there was a Mill up there.

2. River Waverney around Somerleyton has some high ground. Does the marina have History?

3, approaching Reedham ditto the marina area as two above.

4. Up the canal around Bacton Woods, Ebridge area. Or one of the two Bone Mills at Antingham.

5. Above Wroxham. I seem to remember reading of some industry in the Belaugh area. Brick making?  1922 is too late for it to be above Horstead Mill.

Apart from that not a clue.

• Like 2

I can't think offhand, but what fabulous photos of the Gleaner. Thank you very much!

I notice she has brackets along the standing right-ups for battening down the canvas hold cover, so she may have been used for carrying things like grain for a maltings. I wonder if that was what the building was?

I can also see a "snore hole" in the stem, which may have been for the bracket of a slipping keel. If so, and it is not fitted, she may have been somewhere in shallow water.

• Like 1

The trees are very close to the buildings so it has to be somewhere where there was a tree line close to the river.  The  ground is not necessarily that high but perhaps a little.  What about Bramerton Woods End?  But either the  tide is high or there isn't much tidal flow - the ropes aren't slack

The other thing to note is that wherry doesn't appear to be rigged?  She has a mast though - so is this a maintenance yard - note a possible houseboat in the background. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, w-album said:

What about Bramerton Woods End?

I had thought of that but I don't think there was a boatyard there.

34 minutes ago, w-album said:

note a possible houseboat in the background. 

It occurs to me that this could have been a clubhouse boat, for a regatta or yacht club. The Norfolk Broads Yacht Club on Wroxham Broad, started out like that.

I have just spent a happy hour (or so) looking at the Francis Frith collection of photos - found a lovely one of a Delight!!! Looked at aerial photos of Norwich and this is my idea only!

I think it is Anchor Street in Coltishall.  We have a bank of trees behind and on the map there was a cut going behind Clifford Allen's yard.  Can't find any photos to support this but my theory only!

The water looks placid

Coltishall map.jpg

B72ColtishallFFrithCollectionc1931.JPG

• Like 6

Back to Somerleyton, bricks from there were used to build Liverpool Street Station so barges as well as wherries would have gone there. 

For Londoners craving a contact with the Broads just go to the above station and rub a brick or two. Back then our bricks went to London, now London bricks come to the Broads!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, w-album said:

I think it is Anchor Street in Coltishall.  We have a bank of trees behind and on the map there was a cut going behind Clifford Allen's yard. 

You may well be right! The Gleaner was built by Allens, so she may well have been back there for a re-fit.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

You may well be right! The Gleaner was built by Clifford Allens, so she may well have been back there for a re-fit.

Anchor moorings from Google maps street view. And the bank of trees behind Anchor street right where the Maltings used to be

anchor moorings.png

Anchor trees.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I can also see a "snore hole" in the stem, which may have been for the bracket of a slipping keel.

846876024_gleaner1.thumb.jpeg.69e6e2c717b5ea1b8f566daab6d62deb.jpeg

Here we see Albion in a well - known photo from the late 40s, with the bracket of her slipping keel pinned through the snore hole in the stem.

350925242_gleaner2.thumb.jpeg.36556a1628364ca4d5395dcc546fa24c.jpeg

And here we see Gleaner, when owned by the Gedge family, moored in Yarmouth, with the slipping keel fitted. She had previously been owned by Woods, Sadd and Moore who, sure enough, were millers and grain merchants.

Mind you, looking at what Horning staithe used to look like in those days, it could have been almost anywhere!

394827729_gleaner3.thumb.jpeg.4284340f8b92ec1bc856a1c071c4f293.jpeg

The photos are from Wherries and Waterways by Robert Maltster. Also The Broads, by the same author. Recommended reading, if you like Broads history!

• Like 2

I can barely remember Allen's yard but that arched shed sort of prods the grey cells. I remember the yard for  being rather weird , not like any other. The houseboat "Bullrush" was defiantly for hire in Wroxham but could very easily have been at Coltishall for overall.

The only clue I have to her ownership is that she was berthed "at the Yacht Station." I think I have seen an advert for Alfred Collins were the yard was described as a Yacht Station. Alfred Collins became Jack Powles.

Fred

• Like 2