If Some Are Thought Hard, This Really Is!!! Where Is It?

7 minutes ago, grendel said:

from the looks of this 1907 map the basin has been expanded into the area the malthouse stood. so quite possible

malthouse.JPG

Note in the small print just  SW of the Anchor (PH) text there are the words Boatbuilding Yd.

34 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

350925242_gleaner2.thumb.jpeg.36556a1628364ca4d5395dcc546fa24c.jpeg

And here we see Gleaner, when owned by the Gedge family, moored in Yarmouth, with the slipping keel fitted. She had previously been owned by Woods, Sadd and Moore who, sure enough, were millers and grain merchants.

I wonder how old that pic is. There is appears to be a wall from the quay edge and going behind and past the building (top left).

How long has there been a Yacht Station at GY. If it is the YS I presume the pic was taken in winter as there are no other boats.

Thanks for everyone's comments - what a real help you all are!!!! Not sure I am much closer to a definitive answer ( I know I will not get one of those! ) but there are a few clues from some which, either get me closer, or perhaps further away!!! My own Black Sailed Trader is in my attic with the boat books - need to pop up and check something and then I will be back!!

This is extracted from Wherries and Waterways - a photo of Allen's yard at Coltishall but obviously this picture is from the main river, not the possible backwater we were discussing.  Obviously it is well before the 1930s when the photos were taken.  There are some conifers in the background but probably further along the road?

Coltishall Wherries and Waterways.jpg

• Like 4

I was having a quick google which led me to Broadland Memories where I found a photo of Allens yard which may confirm it as the location.

Look at the second pic down, above Lady Edith's boom and you will see a very similar semi-circular roofed building with lattice-work supports and the layout would appear to be a good match with the pics in MM's original post.

Also there are trees in the right place etc etc

What do you think??

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/hannafordcollection_page6.html

Just noticed that in the same collection of pics are a few of Gleaner herself!

Edited by WherryNice
Last paragraph
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, grendel said:

there is also the pale roofed shed behind the arched wetshed, that also appears in the 2nd of the original photos.

On closer inspection, in the Broadland Memories pic there is a light section in the roof of the building seen above the cockpit area on Lady Edith, this section looks to be where the dorma is on the "same" buiding in MM's pic.

I'm pretty sure that it is the correct location now.

14 minutes ago, grendel said:

there is also the pale roofed shed behind the arched wetshed, that also appears in the 2nd of the original photos.

It's the wrong height though. Also there is a gable in the building to the left in the original which doesn't appear in the other photo. But... there are lots more similarities between the two and buildings do get altered. I'd say they are a good match and no one has come up with a better alternative suggestion...

You boys are stars!!!!

See - I told you it was a bit harder!!! Thank you all so very much for your collective effort and I know someone who will be delighted!

Seriously though it is the collective knowledge of all of you who nailed this so thank you once again - it has enabled another missing part of the Archive to be properly identified.

P.S. Pete - my Black Sailed Trader should be on the boat by now - all the boat stuff is stored in the attic overwinter to protect it. It should be on the boat and it might just get there now as I do have to drive a bit to my walk tomorrow and I might just pass my boat on the way!!!!!

• Like 2

1533805286_JimmyGedge.thumb.jpeg.6c24fa86c65f017273714d96270d0290.jpeg

This is Jimmy Gedge, of the same Gedge family, who was himself a wherry builder. He came to help us on Saturdays at Womack, because he enjoyed it. A lovely man and it was great to have him on the team. I would ask him into the bungalow for a drink, when the day was over.

"Would you like to join us for a drink Jimmy, before you go home?"

"You're a gentlemen Sir, and so's your wife!"

• Like 3