• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

No offence intended. No venom here either. Oh look, my post has been removed. now the balance of the thread more towards BA bashing, just for a change then.

I take that back, it was done automatically.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, floydraser said:

I take that back, it was done automatically.

So what does it feel like to have egg flowing down your face?:default_biggrin:

I have to say though that with 80 odd posts and 550 odd likes, BroadsAuthority is a God on here! :default_biggrin:

Personally I think they should be on here for info only, and not a popularity thing!!

I'm more than happy to like an individual on this forum, but when it comes to a authority that we all have to adhere to, for me it seems like we are liking for the wrong reason.

If you think I am wrong, then I am up for criticism:default_hiding:

Maybe we appreciate the clarification of some things? The BA is not duty bound to respond to anything posted here after all. 

• Like 3

It is always useful to hear both sides and also hear direct from source rather than third or fourth hand.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think some think that rather than God, its regarded as the other end of the spectrum!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Upcycler said:

I have to say though that with 80 odd posts and 550 odd likes, BroadsAuthority is a God on here! :default_biggrin:

Perhaps folk feel that if they make Tom feel welcome then he'll stay. Got to say that on balance I'm pleased to see him here. Mind you, I don't always welcome the propaganda! 

• Like 1

Of course people are "liking" his posts, when they are liking the explanations he is kindly giving, in answer to our questions.

I also like the fact that he is putting us right on one or two of our misconceptions!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

a lot of times i will post a thank you to his posts as they contain useful information.

• Like 6

I too am pleased that Tom is here to add balance and stop many of us just assuming.  I often hit the 'Thank you' icon after his posts weather I agree with them or not

Griff

• Like 6

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Perhaps folk feel that if they make Tom feel welcome then he'll stay. Got to say that on balance I'm pleased to see him here. Mind you, I don't always welcome the propaganda! 

I welcome his presence on the forum, we can also say that propaganda comes from many directions, just as good experience and knowledge. :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the kind words - I've had a lot of words thrown my way doing this job but 'god-like' is certainly a new one :default_biggrin:

Stay safe,

Tom

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

On 08/04/2020 at 09:01, BroadsAuthority said:

Thanks all for the kind words - I've had a lot of words thrown my way doing this job but 'god-like' is certainly a new one :default_biggrin:

Stay safe,

Tom

Perhaps the use of the word "Authority" may be a step too far for me on this site and I presume for others aswell.

I believe that people will tend to like you for what you are and not what you say!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Upcycler said:

Perhaps the use of the word "Authority" may be a step too far for me on this site and I presume for others aswell.

I believe that people will tend to like you for what you are and not what you say!

It's our organisation name, not much I can do about that I'm afraid! :default_biggrin:

Our account was also set up with the possibility of other BA staff members using it if and when required.

Tom

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Upcycler said:

There is history to this in that when the Authority was set up there were those that did question the use of 'Authority' in the title. It was felt that the duty of the new body was not one of 'authority' as such and that the then new body should not go down that path. It's notable that no other member of the national parks has adopted 'authority' in its title. Fortunately it has never been as issue and probably it never would have been, save for the Corona Virus and the obvious policing that this has given rise to.

Folk have long been aware of the potential threat to their right to navigate, namely misplaced authority, which might go someway towards explaining the perceived paranoia surrounding the topic and Upcycler's caution.

I just hope that people will resist regurgitating all the old and increasingly tired debate on this subject but we would be wise to keep a weather eye open, without getting hot under the collar! 

In the meantime it is the title of the organisation, I don't see it changing any time soon!

11 hours ago, Upcycler said:

Better than 'Broads National Park ' :default_norty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

There is history to this in that when the Authority was set up there were those that did question the use of 'Authority' in the title. It was felt that the duty of the new body was not one of 'authority' as such and that the then new body should not go down that path. It's notable that no other member of the national parks has adopted 'authority' in its title. Fortunately it has never been as issue and probably it never would have been, save for the Corona Virus and the obvious policing that this has given rise to.

Folk have long been aware of the potential threat to their right to navigate, namely misplaced authority, which might go someway towards explaining the perceived paranoia surrounding the topic and Upcycler's caution.

I just hope that people will resist regurgitating all the old and increasingly tired debate on this subject but we would be wise to keep a weather eye open, without getting hot under the collar! 

In the meantime it is the title of the organisation, I don't see it changing any time soon!

All of the National Parks' managing bodies are called authorities.

This is demonstrated by searching 'National Park Authority' on the following page for English parks: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations or looking at specific park websites.

As well as a tourism website, many National Park Authorities also have a separate website that includes the term Authority in highly visible locations, e.g. in their URL, website title or in a dedicated section on their site

https://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/  https://cairngorms.co.uk/ and https://www.beacons-npa.gov.uk/

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, BroadsAuthority said:

This is demonstrated by searching 'National Park Authority' on the following page for English parks: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations or looking at specific park websites.

As well as a tourism website, many National Park Authorities also have a separate website that includes the term Authority in highly visible locations, e.g. in their URL, website title or in a dedicated section on their site

https://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/  https://cairngorms.co.uk/ and https://www.beacons-npa.gov.uk/

Thank you, Tom. Can't think why I was not aware of that!!

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

It's notable that no other member of the national parks has adopted 'authority' in its title.

Oh I'm so tempted, but I will resist on this occasion. :default_hiding::default_biggrin:

1 hour ago, BroadsAuthority said:

They probably only do that for marketing purposes! :default_norty:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Oh I'm so tempted, but I will resist on this occasion. :default_hiding::default_biggrin:

You are too late, Tom has put me right!