2020 Toll.

JennyMorgan

If you have received an email from JP stating that the hire fleet have not received a reduction in tolls then you can be assured that is the actual reality .

What the hire fleet was permitted to do was hold off tolling their fleet during the 2020 season until the lockdown was lifted , and then the full annual toll was due for those vessels afloat (this is as I understand it and am more than happy to be corrected if I am wrong)  

• Like 3

Received my Bill yesterday, they won't be getting any money till it's actually due.

For my being rebuilt sailing boat they won't be getting any money till she's launched. She's within site of, but outside the defined broads area. Although the keel is still 50ft from the hull, I applied for and got her New Number so I could paint it on the stern, which it is.

A few more coats of varnish required, on deck, unite the keel and hull, connect up the   steering gear then I can come and worry you on the water..

I too have received my invitation to pay my tolls. I use the plural as I need to pay not only for Nyx (my new boat) but also for NYX as the BA call it (probably my fault). The total bill is pennies short of £1000.

I have paid the bill in full as I can see no good reason not to.

In my opinion, not to pay is an act of shall I say mild vindictiveness. The amount of interest I would earn on the sum is minimal so there is little or no advantage to me in withholding payment for 30 days.

Whilst people may well disagree with how the money is spent, delaying paying helps nobody.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The tolls are due on the 1st April, delaying payment would be to make payment anytime after they are due. Paying 4 weeks in advance is a personal choice, but it is not delaying payment to wait until the due date. Paying before the 1st April is to make early payment, in a normal year you would still be trying to make use of last years toll at the moment.

By all means pay early if you wish, but I don't think anyone should feel guilty about waiting to pay a bill when it is actually due.

22 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I too have received my invitation to pay my tolls. I use the plural as I need to pay not only for Nyx (my new boat) but also for NYX as the BA call it (probably my fault). The total bill is pennies short of £1000.

I have paid the bill in full as I can see no good reason not to.

In my opinion, not to pay is an act of shall I say mild vindictiveness. The amount of interest I would earn on the sum is minimal so there is little or no advantage to me in withholding payment for 30 days.

Whilst people may well disagree with how the money is spent, delaying paying helps nobody.

Whilst I agree with every word, there are other considerations. Have you not heard that storm Oswaldwhistle is predicted to hit our shores around mid March? Laying low the mountains of the Earth. :facepalm:

Seriously, I'll hold back but not for petty reasons, just as long as there's an outside chance I wouldn't need to renew. I can't get over before March 29th and if I found it in an un-usable state I would be considering my options. 

42 minutes ago, Meantime said:

The tolls are due on the 1st April, delaying payment would be to make payment anytime after they are due. Paying 4 weeks in advance is a personal choice, but it is not delaying payment to wait until the due date. Paying before the 1st April is to make early payment, in a normal year you would still be trying to make use of last years toll at the moment.

By all means pay early if you wish, but I don't think anyone should feel guilty about waiting to pay a bill when it is actually due.

The pedant in me demands that I reply!

I paid yesterday rather than delaying till the due date. It therefore follows that "delaying" means to do later that which can be done now.

Not my intention to make anyone feel guilty by giving my opinion, merely to indicate my reasoning.

Guest Jayfire

I received my tolls bill yesterday and I will hopefully be able to pay it tomorrow. As a simple (oi) firefighter I need to go see my local bank about some finances in order to pay my toll and so I'm just donning my balaclava and gloves before setting off.

DO NOT watch the 6 o'clock news, and you've never heard of me. Right :default_ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

I received my tolls bill yesterday and I will hopefully be able to pay it tomorrow. As a simple (oi) firefighter I need to go see my local bank about some finances in order to pay my toll and so I'm just donning my balaclava and gloves before setting off.

DO NOT watch the 6 o'clock news, and you've never heard of me. Right :default_ph34r:

They’ll probably ask you to take the balaclava off and put a face mask on instead 😷!

• Like 2

Guest Jayfire
8 minutes ago, vanessan said:

They’ll probably ask you to take the balaclava off and put a face mask on instead 😷!

Nobody asks me to do anything that would show my face Mrs V :default_rofl:

I mentioned that when I had to go into the bank the other month, they laughed and said that previously where they would have been asking customers to remove face coverings at the door, they are actively asking them to put them on now, I believe you are only allowed to enter the bank without a face mask now, if you are robbing it.

• Haha 2

Guest Jayfire
15 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Should one wear the face mask under or over ones balaclava when robbing a bank?

Hey, hey, who mentioned robbing a bank :default_smiley-angelic002:

6 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

and then the full annual toll was due for those vessels afloat

My understanding that the toll was only payable on boats that went out on hire. Hire boats, as opposed to private ones, that were stored afloat were not required to be tolled. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Or even a pair of tights, preferably washed or new?

I think that as Grendel was kind enough to bring stockings into the discussion we should all stick with them as a mental image :default_norty:

Guest Jayfire
3 minutes ago, Ray said:

I think that as Grendel was kind enough to bring stockings into the discussion we should all stick with them as a mental image :default_norty:

Personally I love getting my face covered by stockings :default_norty:

18 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

preferably washed or new?

NO 

7 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

My understanding that the toll was only payable on boats that went out on hire. Hire boats, as opposed to private ones, that were stored afloat were not required to be tolled. 

Happy to be corrected if this is indeed the case .

Hopefully our BA representative member can confirm , in layman’s terms, what the actual case is .

11 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

It's a long established tradition along the rhond!

13 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Happy to be corrected if this is indeed the case .

Hopefully our BA representative member can confirm , in layman’s terms, what the actual case is .

Hi Cambridge,

To aid cash flow problems with the hire yards during the COVID lockdowns, they did not have to pay a toll on vessels that were laid up/in storage. However the moment that a yard took the decision to hire a particular vessel out, the full annual toll was payable on that particular vessel.

Thanks,

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

This might be a lunatic suggestion but...

To aid the hire fleets whilst still keeping a level playing field with the private owners hows about all vessels pay the tolls at private rates but as soon as a hire craft gets it's first booking of the season, it is immediately upgraded to hirecraft rates (for the full year) therefore boats hired out are charged at the appropriate rate, yet those which sit idle for the season pay private rates.

Dunno, it was just a thought!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadsAuthority said:

Hi Cambridge,

To aid cash flow problems with the hire yards during the COVID lockdowns, they did not have to pay a toll on vessels that were laid up/in storage. However the moment that a yard took the decision to hire a particular vessel out, the full annual toll was payable on that particular vessel.

Thanks,

Tom

I don’t think that is entirely accurate. In a normal year, unlike private owners who have to pay the full amount by 1 April, the hire companies are allowed to pay their tolls bill in four stages 10% in April, then 30% in May, June and July. In 2020, those stages were delayed and the final tranche was only payable on 30 November 2020. So although there might be a liability to pay the full toll once the vessel is put into hire, that liability is deferred at the discretion of the Authority.

The exemption to the liability to pay a toll under certain circumstances has nothing to do with the Covid situation. It is enshrined in the 1988 Norfolk & Suffolk Broads Act, and applies equally to hire and private vessels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Paladin said:

It is enshrined in the 1988 Norfolk & Suffolk Broads Act, and applies equally to hire and private vessels.

Correction: It's section 16(6) of the 2009 Act, not the 1988 one.

• Thanks 1