Favourite Unusual Locations

Broads01

Do you have a personal favourite location which is away from those generally thought to be favourites? So, not a Salhouse or a How Hill or an Oulton Broad but a Pokeys Mill or a Wayford Bridge or a Whitlingham.

My own favourite in this category is Postwick Viaduct. My route (and no doubt for many others) by road to and from the Broads is the A47 over the viaduct. On the way there it's always lovely to glance down when passing over and see my first glimpse of a Broads river. On my way home I take a wistful glance to the left and sometimes see a boat on my final glimpse for that visit. I think at that moment of my next planned trip. By boat, I love approaching the bridge and being mesmerised by the traffic above, a microcosm of the real world outside of my boating bubble. 

• Like 4

Summercrafts boatyard. A lovely quiet spot just off the main river. Moored overnight there a few times with both Moonlight Shadow and Lightning, sat on the lawn in the evening, with a glass or two watching the last of the sun. It always took me back to our first holiday in 1958 when we had slowly cruised down that dyke from the Vestella shed at Landamores.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, webntweb said:

Summercrafts boatyard. A lovely quiet spot just off the main river. Moored overnight there a few times with both Moonlight Shadow and Lightning, sat on the lawn in the evening, with a glass or two watching the last of the sun. It always took me back to our first holiday in 1958 when we had slowly cruised down that dyke from the Vestella shed at Landamores.

Great shout Roy. I've only spent the night there once and it was very different from the busy choice of Wroxham moorings. Alas I'm guessing it'll no longer be an option with the hire operation ended.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ray said:

Very hard to pinpoint a favourite but I'm sure I'm not alone having a soft spot for Cantley, especially at night 👍

Especially during the beet season! The aroma is memorable!

Agreed, a good place. I once toured the factory, absolutely fascinating!

Good moorings. 

• Like 3

Loddon staithe. Always seemed like a long way to go down the Chet when there's nothing else (on the face of it) but it was well worth it. Have to get in early though! Not a quiet spot like other posts but it is my favourite.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Surlingham Broad

I've never quite made Surlingham, I've taken a dinghy up there a time or two and gone up to King's Fleet but never quite made Surlingham. 

Sadly many of my once favoured paces have been compromised by running engines, long stayers, places like Stalham Staithe, Neatishead. Several of my favourite bolt holes on the Waveney around Aldeby have had fishing platforms built in them, so nowadays my personal favourite locations tend to be away from the broads, sadly. 

I still love the Upper Yare, and cruising through Beccles is very special, and the moorings at the Locks still a special place, even is the pub is not what it once was.

• Like 1

In my 20 footer arrive after all traffic stopped nose out of the channel at entrance of Martham Broad and weight fore and aft. Leave before anyone up at dawn. June is good light not much after 0400 hours.

20200412_060913.thumb.jpg.ab57d0d61288bd5ef725714745743715.jpg

• Like 9

Johnny Crows  Staithe, the cut out of the island by Sutton Broad (sunken wreck there now - infuriating) anywhere up river of Wrioxham, same for up river of Beccles. The Lock mooring at Coltishal. 

By road, I always used to say heyup and tarrah at Postwick too.  Nowadays our first and last glimpse is Wroxham  bridge so that gets the greeting and farewell 

Griff

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, w-album said:

And smell!

The indigenous natives traditionally have big hooters so that they can savour the aroma of the countryside! Damp silage and Whitlingham sewerage works are character building!

Raise a toast to a good Norfolk gentleman, and his Norfolk hooter! 

Nelson.jpg

• Like 1

Upton Dyke is one of our favourites with the short stroll to the White Horse. Easy to manouvre in the basin when we had our 23ft Norman, not so sure now with the bigger boat(34ft).

Upton 2.jpg

Upton 1.jpg