June 16th 2020

14 hours ago, eddybear said:

I suppose the only guaranteed way to exit is in a box, and I am going to take my bike with me, Probably have to take  the bloody wheels off though :446_bicyclist:

We olduns are going nowhere.   We may not have as long to go as some but we are still sticking in there.   Far too many people to upset in the future to let go yet..       I just loved the Pam Ayers poem, although directed at us ladies it applied just as much to our chaps.  

• Like 4

Clarity on this issue has been issued by the Angling Alliance, the activity's governing body,  and it is clear that angling is permitted from gardens provided that the garden relates directly to the family home. Apparently it does not apply, for example, to a mooring plot that is only accessible via a public highway. Obviously unfair to some folk such as those who live within easy walking distance of their moorings. Hopefully common sense will prevail. The Alliance is presenting its case to the Government for consideration. Personally I think that the case to allow angling, provided social distancing is maintained, is strong. I am talking mid June so by then perhaps general relaxations will be in place anyway.  Mind you, I wouldn't book a holiday on the strength of these thoughts!

• Like 1

On 15/04/2020 at 17:09, CambridgeCabby said:

Living in Cambridge , cycling is not just exercise for a lot of people it is their only method of transport to the shops etc 

Having worked in Oxford for many years every van I drove had dents and dings from cyclists with no brakes or owners with no brains, never understood why they didn`t need a mot of some sort.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Having worked in Oxford for many years every van I drove had dents and dings from cyclists with no brakes or owners with no brains, never understood why they didn`t need a mot of some sort.

Both cyclists and motorcyclists need to 'Think Car'! Many cyclists need to at least attend a car awareness course.

Perhaps a few boaters need to attend an angler awareness course!! Just to bring this thread back to fishing!

• Like 2

I agree about the cyclists. (Some) the ultra skinny Lycra wearing ones. Most people use the cycle lanes that has cost the government millions but those herbets don’t use the buggers. It’s a bit like fishing platforms and moorings. Hey ho. It’d be nice to know that the fisher folk could go though. It’d mean boating as well.

• Like 2

At goodness what cost, cycle paths have been recently been installed on the A142 Ely road. the hold ups during the installation were horrendous and now that they are there do most of the cyclists use them ? Do they heck! I do think that if there is a cycle path available to them then cyclists should be obliged by law to use them instead of causing holdups on the road , cycling 2 abreast sometimes and I also think that cyclists that use the road should be obliged to have insurance in place.

Carole

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

With pin point accuracy and no thread drift whatsoever...
My mind has been very much on angling these last few weeks. Particularly as I start to 'muck out' my workshop (shed) and start work on some of the projects I have stacked up like the bulkhead mounted rod rack and tackle storage for RT's stern well and replacing my worn fishing floats with new ones. The off season has been my traditional time to tend to things like varnishing creels, stripping and lubricating reels, sharpening idlebacks, float making, hook tying and the like. This time around, with Uncle Albert's fishing tackle now all mixed in with mine, my grandfather's and great grandfathers I'm taking the time to sort out the old split cane rods now well past being usable along with the early fibreglass models and making a wooden display case for them. All three generations together and I shall leave space for my favourite fishing rods to fit in there too when they are no longer being used.

Cyclists have been doing my head in of late. Not so much the 'Lycra-clad geezer over the age when Lycra really isn't appropriate to be seen thirty miles from home having a coronary by the side of the road ' type of cyclist or even the 'let's get the wife and kids out on the road in high-viz vests to make up for the kids being too young to have road sense so ride out into the middle of the road into the path of oncoming traffic' type of cyclist. I'm not even talking about the 'old geezer, face like a gnarled walnut, been riding a bike for sixty years and moved everything from the weekly shop to a grand piano on the handlebars, still has bike clips for the trousers' cyclist. No, I'm talking about the 'rapidly approaching thirty and too old to be riding a child's toy bicycle over a jump I've dug into what I was dumb enough to think was a hill but turns out to be a burial mound and what I thought were tree roots were human remains while I film my stupidity on my GoPro to put on YouTube' type of cyclist.

In other news...I recently discovered that I'm a 'nick the GoPro taped to a tree of a man-child on a kid's bike while the man-child is doing a lap to build up speed to get video footage of a jump over a ramp he dug in a burial mound for his three subscribers on YouTube,'  kind of archaeologist. Who knew? :default_huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, grendel said:

did you bury it for future archaeologists to puzzle over?

Nah! I handed it over to the local WPC along with the bags of maruw marij weird smelling herbal remedy in the camera case. Although nobody has come forward to claim either item, I understand the video footage is both enlightening and entertaining and has ensured the owner a few more 'followers' eager to demonstrate the meaning of 'lockdown'. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/04/2020 at 12:53, addicted said:

At goodness what cost, cycle paths have been recently been installed on the A142 Ely road. the hold ups during the installation were horrendous and now that they are there do most of the cyclists use them ? Do they heck! I do think that if there is a cycle path available to them then cyclists should be obliged by law to use them instead of causing holdups on the road , cycling 2 abreast sometimes and I also think that cyclists that use the road should be obliged to have insurance in place.

Carole

Tax cyclist the same as cars.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 2