Where Have All These Flappy Things Gone??

NorfolkNog

Just browsing the 2003 Blakes brochure (as you do) and noticed that they had a whole section devoted to saily stuff. 

I know that Eastwood Whelpton and Martham still hire independently but I was surprised to see Herbert Woods and Barnes Brinkcraft hiring yachts. Wonder what happened to them? 

I'm sure that there was just one yacht on hire on the Southern Rivers at one time but can't find any reference to it :default_sailing:

1080718.jpg

1080717.jpg

1080716.jpg

1080715.jpg

1080714.jpg

• Like 2

VIP Harvey Easrwood operated a 2/4 berth traditional yacht  from the mid 90s until they closed the hire business in about 2001?. The last sizeable fleet based on the Southern side was that of The Traditional Broads Yacht Co based at St. Olaves in the early 90s before the fleet moved to Horning as the Norfolk Broads Yachting Co. I also seem to remember Sanderson's operating a motor sailer in that era as well.

Fred

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

189 of em, Wow

That's incredible. I wonder when they started to decline, probably in the 70's I suppose. My dad was a very keen sailor, that's how I got my Broads baptism. Never followed in his footsteps though, my first hire was Crystal Light, a petrol Elysyan.  

Apparently Swancraft had a yacht for hire - mid to late 80's - might be in an old Blakes brochure if anyone has one around that period :default_biggrin:

The simple reason was that they were not commercial, as hire boats, compared to motor cruisers.

Very expensive to build, even in GRP, very high on maintenance and turnaround staff and would not accommodate many people.  I have never heard of an eight berth hire yacht!

They were restricted as most yards insisted on experience before hiring them and they were high in turnaround costs with all the rigging to check through.  The trial run could sometimes take several hours.

I think one of the reasons ex hire yachts tend to "hog" a lot in their old age is because of all the short planking repairs that were done quickly on a Saturday morning before they went out again.  When you see a yacht up in the sheds with the paint burnt off the hull, it is interesting to see that the shoulders of the bow are all little bits of short plank, rather than long, strong ones.  Not time to do proper scarf joints either - all "butted up" using "prayer books".

• Like 4

I have never heard of an eight berth hire yacht!

Me neither and having had another look-see in my aged catalogue the biggest accommodation I can find is for six crew.  There are only three in the class at 34ft Long from Earnest Collins.  Six crew in 34ft of yacht - That would have been somewhat cozy

Griff

BA NBN 745.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, trambo said:

VIP Harvey Easrwood operated a 2/4 berth traditional yacht  from the mid 90s until they closed the hire business in about 2001?. The last sizeable fleet based on the Southern side was that of The Traditional Broads Yacht Co based at St. Olaves in the early 90s before the fleet moved to Horning as the Norfolk Broads Yachting Co. I also seem to remember Sanderson's operating a motor sailer in that era as well.

Fred

Sandstar on the New Cut  2000 ish after being sold on by Colin

image.png.65186056ca15c93bb8eb7a60775185ef.png

image.png.0bd104aa8e22fb463edce0d16706f253.png

Mast too tall for Haddiscoe bridge

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I have never heard of an eight berth hire yacht!

Me neither and having had another look-see in my aged catalogue the biggest accommodation I can find is for six crew.  There are only three in the class at 34ft Long from Earnest Collins.  Six crew in 34ft of yacht - That would have been somewhat cozy

Griff

BA NBN 745.jpg

Both Lapwing and America from Marthams are classed as 8 berth, both of these are 36 footers and quite modern builds being less than 30 years old.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, grendel said:

Palace is 1 foot shorter and is a 7 berth, built in 1995

There is always an exception, that proves the rule!

Palace was built on the lines of the original yacht from the 19th century, which was hired with a skipper and crew, who occupied the berths in the forepeak!

goldfinch.thumb.jpeg.f78835dea21c4524e993f4b5dc8def97.jpeg

I think it is worth mentioning Goldfinch at this time, as my old and dear friends, Brian and Jill Thwaites, parents of Matthew and Daniel (of Barnes Brinkcraft), lived on her (as liveaboards) when they were first married, and Brian had recently been "de-mobbed" from RAF Air-Sea Rescue. She was then moored on the Island in Thorpe, as Jill is a member of the original Jenner family.

Her house  is still called Goldfinch and whenever the family have their own private boat, it is called Goldfinch.

I simply say this as an example of how all that family tradition is at risk, in these awful times.

• Like 6

That's the trouble with those flappy things, they blot out the landscape and while you are trying to steer in a possible straight line and not annoy other river users with your unconventional tacking (I think that is the term) you miss out on what the Broads is all about. Believe me, stick to diesel!

On 20/04/2020 at 07:37, trambo said:

Swancrafts bit of junk and also that Sanderson motor sailer. Source, 1988 Blakes brochure.cygnet.thumb.jpg.80d20850c98a3e208338b742a3eec182.jpg

cygnet 1.jpg

Fred

The top boat is a Standard Newbridge Navigator. They also did the larger Virgo Voyager and the Corribee as Junk Rigs, re-naming the latter Coromandel.

The bottom boat reminds me very much of the range of poor man's Fishers that were moulded by Colvic and marketed as "Colvic Watsons"

On 20/04/2020 at 10:23, grendel said:

Palace is 1 foot shorter and is a 7 berth, built in 1995

On 20/04/2020 at 10:18, grendel said:

Both Lapwing and America from Marthams are classed as 8 berth, both of these are 36 footers and quite modern builds being less than 30 years old.

On 20/04/2020 at 10:23, BroadAmbition said:

Just had a look-see at them both on-line.  Looks very good too.  Two of the berths are quarter berths but I suppose they count

Griff

These larger yachts were built in the mid 90s. Martham require not only sailing experience, but specifically river sailing experience, which I can fully appreciate having sailed America prior to Martham ownership, after an experience crew member had to return home and I stepped in. She can be a real handful in the confines of the river when it is gusty. I assume the other two America Class handle in a similar fashion. However a real joy on open water like Barton.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suppose another reason why these river cruisers have slipped from their mainstream position is there are not the numbers coming into sailing.

In the 50s and 60s there were so many home build classes in marine ply it seemed like the whole country were building boats in their garages. Why a school friend's father built a Mirror in their dining roon to give access to the French Windows to get it out.

I was a child of this boom, it was got me into sailing, first in a Heron and then an Eleven+ which was Bermudan and faster. There followed Rockets, Fireballs, lasers and the body breaking Contender. Then on to cruising yachts following marriage and family.

Now we of that era are getting old, the balance is going and however much we still listen to The Stones, Joan Boaz and Dylan you can't beat the years.

I last tacked an Arête in 2005 completing both Striding Edge and Sharp Edge but I would not attempt them now. I even have to use a pole and look at my feet to cross the Clints and Grykes of a limestone pavement. I am afraid I now feel the same way about sailing if not in light airs.

Maybe it is nostalgia but I do think many people are missing out and if only they tried Broads Sailing they would be smitten. OK, you are not going to tick off seeing everywhere, but that is not the point.

• Like 4