Rspb - Influence And Intensions.

RealWindmill

Have started this as a new topic as it's not especially lockdown related but it follows on from recent discussion on the Lockdown - Further Clarification  thread. 

The last time I joined a discussion, called Sandford By Stealth, on the future of broads navigations and specifically about the closing off of some of the navigation, I was told to be in danger of treading in and resurrecting 10000 pages of archive posting discussed ad nauseum - but, hey ho, at risk at of incurring further critisism I feel some subjects to be too important to remain buried in historical threads but deserve bumping up on occasion.

Right - To the point. I have long been an admirer of the RSPB and thoroughly enjoy visiting their reserves dotted around this region but I've always been mystified as to why they have never provided or allowed direct access from the river onto their Strumpshaw Reserve. 

With a long stretch of Yare riverbank they could have provided some hard quayside for visiting boats to moor up and enjoy, no make that share, their excellent reserve. It is as if they are actively discouraging visitors from the river. Something which would surely be of benefit and education to visitors and family groups from hire and private craft.

Even the small quayhead they do have is covered in Private and  No Mooring signs so not even allowing dinghies or canoes to visit.

I find this in stark contrast to the way Suffolk WT and the BA are jointly working together to provide bankside moorings to allow access to the reserve extension on Petos Marsh, Carlton.

Is this how the RSPB are envisioning how all their land in the Broads will be run in the future - effectively closed off to water born visitors ?

Members back on the Lockdown - Further Clarification  topic thread are right to be concerned about this creeping agenda and vigilance is most definitely needed at a time when most thoughts are of course quite rightly on the more pressing health issues just now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

Right - To the point. I have long been an admirer of the RSPB and thoroughly enjoy visiting their reserves dotted around this region but I've always been mystified as to why they have never provided or allowed direct access from the river onto their Strumpshaw Reserve. 

With a long stretch of Yare riverbank they could have provided some hard quayside for visiting boats to moor up and enjoy, no make that share, their excellent reserve. It is as if they are actively discouraging visitors from the river. Something which would surely be of benefit and education to visitors and family groups from hire and private craft.

And when you contacted them to put this directly, what did they say?

This has been in discussion for as long as I can remember but from my conversations with the RSPB many years ago it revolved, primarily ,around two issues. They did not feel that the staff on the Reserve should have to "police" it as that job would have to be done by volunteers and also as it was a long long way from the river to the Centre and they realised many would not pay, they did not want non members mooring up for free and effectively blocking up the mooring for the members. I think both are fair points.

Quite what Suffolk WT will do about similar issues i am not sure but that one will be a BA mooring I guess. I don't think at the time, the BA wanted to fund the Strumpshaw one at the time - to be fair given what the Oulton one is costing, it is hardly a cost effective investment. For either!

The same issues I think apply to Fairhaven on S Walsham Inner Broad - you would have to have any mooring virtually permanently staffed (probably for only 1 boat) to stop people getting in free, and although that one very nearly got off the ground, I do not think it ever did for that reason.

So its not only the RSPB who don't want people taking advantage of what would be a great idea!!

2 minutes ago, marshman said:

This has been in discussion for as long as I can remember but from my conversations with the RSPB many years ago it revolved, primarily ,around two issues. They did not feel that the staff on the Reserve should have to "police" it as that job would have to be done by volunteers and also as it was a long long way from the river to the Centre and they realised many would not pay, they did not want non members mooring up for free and effectively blocking up the mooring for the members. I think both are fair points.

Quite what Suffolk WT will do about similar issues i am not sure but that one will be a BA mooring I guess. I don't think at the time, the BA wanted to fund the Strumpshaw one at the time - to be fair given what the Oulton one is costing, it is hardly a cost effective investment!!

The same issues I think apply to Fairhaven on S Walsham Inner Broad - you would have to have any mooring virtually permanently staffed (probably for only 1 boat) to stop people getting in free, and although that one very nearly got off the ground, I do not think it ever did for that reason.

So its not only the RSPB who don't want people taking advantage of what would be a great idea!!

I think all your points about Strumpshaw policing are equally valid for the SWT reserve.

The only difference I can see is that the RSPB wish to funnel all visitors in through one entrance reception door so attracting memberships or visitors fees. I.e. it's all about money.

SWT appear to be taking a more philanthropic approach as an educational experience for visitors.

I notice Minsmere reserve has multiple entry points and the system seems to work well enough there. I don't believe they have too many problems with freeloaders.

As for cost of building moorings, I believe the RSPB might be able to afford that ! Especially in joint venture with BA.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RealWindmill said:

Vaughan, apologies for hijacking your post from the Lockdown thread but felt it needs departing from Health discussions.

No problem, I am glad to discuss it. I might also refer you to page 4 of the Acle BNP thread, where I discussed the RSPB report.

• Like 1

Not quite true - the BA are, I suspect, only putting in the pontoon at Oulton and paying for it, because of the trade off!!

That said, the RSPB are great reserves and make for great days out at a reasonable cost - as do the NWT reserves too. Cracking places to see birds!!!

• Like 1

It may be of interest to some that the reserve at Strumpshaw is not owned by the RSPB.

It is leased. It is my belief that certain formalities would have to be agreed between the two parties if such a venture as a quay heading were to be sanctioned 

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Wussername said:

It may be of interest to some that the reserve at Strumpshaw is not owned by the RSPB.

It is leased. It is my belief that certain formalities would have to be agreed between the two parties if such a venture as a quay heading were to be sanctioned 

Andrew

Do you know who it is leased from?

According to my info the Reserve was purchased back in 1974 - but I am happy to be proved wrong!!

These strong easterlies are not helping the migrants from the south but that may improve later this week and help them on their way!

Keep them lugholes open!!!