Rspb - Influence And Intensions.

RealWindmill

Glad to be proved wrong but still I doubt the lease affects the pontoon issue , other than in those circumstances, you can see why the BA don't want to get involved as well!

Well for those who want to know this probably contains a clue!!!! Quite an interesting article  - well worth a read even if you do not like the RSPB

http://www.wisearchive.co.uk/story/the-making-of-strumpshaw-fen-1960s-to-2000s/

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Well for those who want to know this probably contains a clue!!!! Quite an interesting article  - well worth a read even if you do not like the RSPB

I don't have an issue with a lot of the good work they do just their politics and ambitions.

Fred

• Like 3

6 hours ago, marshman said:

That said, the RSPB are great reserves and make for great days out at a reasonable cost - as do the NWT reserves too. Cracking places to see birds!!!

Totally agree. Great places to visit.

One of my favorites is the Berney Marshes located behind the old Berney Arms pub. Not very accessible by foot but glorious views across from the Breydon wall footpath in summer,  but particularly so with the winter flocks gathered.

Its a shame the RSPB have allowed the raised view platform and reed screen that used to be there to fall into disrepair. Wouldn't have cost much to reinstate it.

There is a launch that runs from Burgh Castle Marina to ferry visitors in groups  on trips to and from the reserve.

6 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Suffolk Wildlife's Carlton Marshes reserve has always been free to enter, probably because it is criss-crossed with public footpaths and bridal ways, indeed one such path, as I see it, leads directly to the new 24hr mooring.  

Almost correct JM.  The path does lead to near where the moorings are planned.

However, on the new extension land purchased (ie  North of the existing RoW path across to the river opposite the WRC ) there are actually no public RoW's , but SWT are intending for some permissive paths around the new scrapes to allow and encourage visitor access.

6 hours ago, marshman said:

Pete - lugholes cleared ready for the cuckoo?? Let us know when (if) you hear one!!!

A timely reminder that we are approaching early May and the peak dawn chorus time of year.

If ever there was a great place to enjoy this splendour of the natural world, then Carlton Marshes is right up there with the best of them. (as of course are Strumpshaw Minsmere and all the other local SWT/NWT/ RSPB reserves.)

i'll definitely be using some of my allotted outdoor exercise time to hear it - cuckoos and all.  we already have the first swallows around.

Probably not - wrong side of the river but again I don't know. Surlingham Marsh is a bit further down adjacent the Wheatfen Reserve of which the Ted Ellis Reserve own some i suspect.

Upstream the RSPB lease (?) a small patch just on the Postwick bends - but you would have to dig a bit to find the owner I suspect.

Have now determined that the whole Mid Yare reserves from Wheatfen to Surlingham Church Marshes on the South side and of Cantley, Strumpshaw fen and Buckenham Marshes on the North side are all managed, but not owned, by the RSPB (although willing to stand corrected ). 

This also shows that a mooring opportunity was also missed when the new hide was built by the riverbank at Buckenham Marsh a couple of years back. This reserve  is free to access by road and track. As mentioned by others land owners permissions would be needed in the first instance.

Again i'm not knocking the RSPB directly and have a lot of admiration for the good they do for wildlife .

Given the RSPBs stated aims and intentions, does this help explain the arrival of the three large buoys restricting the entrance to Surlingham Broad proper which appeared early 2019 ? - a barrier which I am actually in favour of as the area deserves to be kept free of larger vessels.  But - there's always a but - that fits in with RSPB aims.

Vigilance folks , watch the back door.

On 20/04/2020 at 13:07, marshman said:

Quite an interesting article  - well worth a read even if you do not like the RSPB

Thanks for that link MM. Very interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

Some early morning pics from SWT Carlton and Petos Marsh this lovely weekend.

The bird chorus was as good as ever with the warblers, whitethroats in the reeds and blackcaps and the other woodland birds all in good voice. Even the regular returning cuckoo with the cranky call was in evidence. Local birders tell me he's been returning at least 4 years now and is instantly recognisable by his croaky cuckoo call ( I believe they call him Hector).

564139448_CarltonMarshSprats-2may20.thumb.JPG.bda4e4e6cda64208bcfb91415776d1dd.JPG

1620808109_PetosMarshScrape-2may20.thumb.JPG.c16884ad8d7aedb1d059d148399e00d7.JPG

1624440016_CarltonMarshHide-2may20.thumb.JPG.17cf9a29713df45d505899a761702017.JPG

Will be good when the moorings finally get installed so that visitors from their boats can get to enjoy these pleasures as well.

RSPB and BA please take note.

• Like 1

For anyone who is interested in the influence of the RSPB, I would recommend reading this book. Quite apart from that it is a very good read about a cruise through the Hebrides in a Corribee. 

Screenshot_20200503-154312.thumb.png.bc3a476287d48d9d758b541ce6062577.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this book heads up , ChrisB. I shall get a copy and read it.

During the 1980's I was involved in a series of surveys for shipping routes in the Inner and Outer Minches. A posting which involved setting up range - range navigation systems for accurate positioning - no GPS in those days. This meant setting up the kit on many of the remote and smaller islands of these waters, some uninhabited.

My abiding recollection is of the sheer beauty and remoteness of them but also of how rubbish would also accumulate on the shores, seabourne but also including rusting vehicles and machinery of the locals. I guess dustcart ships are (were?) in short supply in those parts.

Be interesting to read of the authors experience in the late 90's when I see this book was published.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Been reading this book over the weekend recommended by ChrisB and it is proving an enlightening read.

As well as a good description of a sailing voyage, the examples used of how the conservation bodies and the RSPB in particular use their financial and political clout over the local communities to ensure large scale purchase of land and the implementation of exclusion policies are almost beyond believing.

If only half the stories are true it still makes a sobering read. - and I've only got to chapter 5 so far.!

If you substitute SNH (Scottish natural heritage) and other bodies for the  BA then there are worrying parallels in the methods for the Broads area in terms of planning issues, land enclosure and restricted or no access allowed. 

Examples in the book include how some of  the important decision making Laird's of the islands and Executive officers of other bodies are keen to get into bed with the wishes of the major conservation bodies due to the promise of expectation of a Knighthood or Peerage further down the line.  Wonder where we've heard that before ?

Right, off to the kayak now (well Wednesday anyway) and enjoy the remaining  back dykes while they are still accessible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suppose you can almost justify the use of the buoys to exclude bigger boats accessing that area given that its difficult  to get a larger boat through and it is a bit of a rabbit warren anyway BUT it does not preclude anyone from going in - perhaps it would be more sensible to put a notice up saying "Small boats and canoes only!"

I grew up in that neck of the woods and that area was a well known haunt of the GYPHC launches!!!! (for obvious reasons!!! )

1 hour ago, Polly said:

Anyone mad enough to sail a Corribee around the a Western Isles has to be interesting to read! 

Thanks Chris just following up on the book.

Corribees are surprisingly good sailing boats, probably one of the better small cruisers. Pretty boats too: 

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/corribee-mkiii

The Corribee is as you say an outstanding small sea boat. Helem MacArthur's choice for her round uk voyage.

Numerous Atlantic crossings

And  Roger D Taylors choice for two epic voyages above the Artic circle around Iceland and Greenland.

They are  bit tender for living on "rockers" but under sail fantastic for just over 21f1122552173_Screenshot_20200511-161953_AmazonKindle.thumb.jpg.085e10905281008e81ef6cc5affc97eb.jpg20200511_162030.thumb.jpg.2a5b58bab271637fb670e11b3329e9c9.jpg

I admit my comment was tongue in cheek.
Yes I agree with all of the above. We seriously considered buying one ourselves. 
in fact we went to look at one on Windermere; the sales guy was not about to start with and we went aboard for a look. Having done so we were back on the jetty when he came along and invited us to step aboard.

’It’s a really stable little boat,’ he said.

’It is while you are standing there holding the mast,’ I replied.

He was wholly unblushing.

Corribees are indeed lovely little boats, the lines are very pretty and they are buoyant. Single handed, I would have bought one, but for two? No.

That little boat was like a rocking horse on the mooring, responding to every movement. With two aboard, you were in danger of being tipped over because the other person shifted balance. It was a bit like that moving platform thing at the end of ‘Grease’. We had already decided not to buy it before he appeared.

On 11/05/2020 at 11:22, marshman said:

I grew up in that neck of the woods and that area was a well known haunt of the GYPHC launches!!!! (for obvious reasons!!! )

That one has gone right over my head MM. What were the launches doing ? Skiving off ? doing drugs ? …. do tell.

On 11/05/2020 at 11:22, marshman said:

I suppose you can almost justify the use of the buoys to exclude bigger boats accessing that area given that its difficult  to get a larger boat through and it is a bit of a rabbit warren anyway BUT it does not preclude anyone from going in - perhaps it would be more sensible to put a notice up saying "Small boats and canoes only!"

Agree with that.  Prior to the arrival of the buoys there was a sign saying Shallow Water - perhaps there still is but now covered by bankside vegetation.  As you say people did go in, even on the largest hireboats, so the buoys are not a bad thing and still allow dingies and paddlers in.

Local knowledge like yours knows that the depth is not an issue , it being deeper there than on Bargate itself. The weed growth is particularly strong though and can ensnare propellers tightly. I speak from experience !

Anything wider or deeper than a canoe kayak or punt could have problems getting as far as Surl Staithe or through the reeds into the inner roads so basically even a dinghy esp. with an outboard could struggle.

1 hour ago, RealWindmill said:

Anything wider or deeper than a canoe kayak or punt could have problems getting as far as Surl Staithe or through the reeds into the inner roads so basically even a dinghy esp. with an outboard could struggle.

I'm always happy to take my 21' drascombe up there but I do tend to avoid low water! I do have a 'weed-cutter' prop though. 

Are weed cutter props any good then. I've never used one.

One time I got horribly ensnared was after not moving for a few days (doing a GYPC launch impression apparently ) and the stuff grew around like a triffid. Devils own job diving under with a knife to clear it. Would a cutter help in that situation ?