A Idea For Pictures Before Lockdown

4 hours ago, ChrisB said:

20th August 2011,

The E Types are in Cromer to celebrate the 50th anniversary of their launch. 

Malcolm Sayer the designer of the car described by no less than Enzo Ferrari as "The most beautiful car in the World"  was born in Cromer, I believe in Vicarage Road.

20200426_060616.thumb.jpg.16c89b7906dab3c28bc7d6e8713a9fd8.jpg

I'm sure I remember a pub somewhere on the A149 with a 6 cylinder Jaguar engine in the bar fireplace with the exhaust running up the chimney. For a quid in the lifeboat the landlord would fire it up - much better than any juke box!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, stumpy said:

I'm sure I remember a pub somewhere on the A149 with a 6 cylinder Jaguar engine in the bar fireplace with the exhaust running up the chimney. For a quid in the lifeboat the landlord would fire it up - much better than any juke box!

Yes , It was the Wiveton Bell .

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3558

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/04/2020 at 06:01, ChrisB said:

20171023_100552.thumb.jpg.738ecc04dfbf202a8401470a06fee648.jpg

Where I go others follow ( Julia Bradbury stood in that exact spot with The Twelve Appostles behind her in her Series on Australia).  And me with my trusty steed that was a great car to drive the Great Ocean Road in.

I really am beginning to wonder when the World will be "Open" for us over 70s again :default_badday:

Here's England''s version of the Twelve Apostles: Bedruthan Steps, Cornwall.

488a Bedruthan Mum.jpg

494 Bedruthan.jpg

505a Bedruthan.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

A quiet August day on The River Ant.

P1030268.thumb.JPG.f6ca90f58df391a4d1f3415f14f4c508.JPG

P1030267.thumb.JPG.c66c15987a9caf928b9370a3877361c4.JPG

P1030269.thumb.JPG.f71389b111c56934d99f2cc3cea4023a.JPG

A wild mooring at Mud Point can provide some great entertainment! Not in the same class as Ludham Bridge in a good summer blow, but never the less well up there!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Sort of topical on this VE weekend, although it is a post 1945 memorial.

When travel was possible!! This is one of my favourite picnic places provide by The Royal Marines Association. It is to be found on The South West Coast Path between Chapmans Pool and St Aldhelm's Head before the "Thigh Killer" stepped gully. It is a beautiful spot with only the sound of the sea, far below and the cry of the seabirds. The memorial and picnic table is walled to keep sheep out. It is therefore not the easiest of places for the less able.

1871144071_20190516_0953062.thumb.jpg.5e3f101efdadaa56a706b5a955d6b43c.jpg

1871144071_20190516_0953062.thumb.jpg.5e3f101efdadaa56a706b5a955d6b43c.jpg

Looking both ways at the gulch. 

20190516_101759.thumb.jpg.ecfba84ec49c52d44dd60452aa008b71.jpg

Picture actually do not do justice to the pain of going up and down those cut steps.

20190516_101104.thumb.jpg.d76f2324925d7aa733a2403827440ce9.jpg

20190516_095352~2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Fleet Dyke

I have to say that the music was not objectionable, though I would have prefered quiet. I think they turned it off at Bondons whilst they circled the Broad.

P1030592(1).thumb.JPG.2e1e042f80958bdc4050b8ccdc27205b.JPG

P1030593(1).thumb.JPG.dc76c78278d11a725817f973260668e9.JPG

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fantastic photos Chris. Is the penultimate one Martham ferry with the track beyond leading to Heigham Hoimes ? If so I keep meaning to do that guided walk when it is next available. I think it has been discussed on here before but rumour has it that there was a Lysander landing strip here used by SOE agents to get to occupied France in WW2.

1 hour ago, charlesa said:

Fantastic photos Chris. Is the penultimate one Martham ferry with the track beyond leading to Heigham Hoimes ? If so I keep meaning to do that guided walk when it is next available. I think it has been discussed on here before but rumour has it that there was a Lysander landing strip here used by SOE agents to get to occupied France in WW2.

Yes correct. I too have always wanted to get over the other side. I think it is open but one day per year.

• Like 1

I remember the trip very well. We wild moored before going "back out again" throught the bridge early next morning. We were watching the Grebes when a Cuckoo came and sat right above us.

20200623_123615.thumb.jpg.a15ecf60bb62ebd0ff8e8b1e558f4c03.jpg

2 years ago today. 

The Broads Festival of Sail... at Womack. Fabulous day, could have done with a bit more wind. I had my first helm of a Rebel.  BUT... England were playing Panama and it was very poorly attended. It was planned to be a biennial event so this year would have been a non-starter anyway but I wonder if it will happen again. Crying shame as so much work and generosity from those with waterside properties and the sailing yards was put into a wonderful event in a marvellous setting.

Screenshot_20200624-121216_Photos.thumb.jpg.5724d7bfd87ed5a7aba351176c7e34f7.jpg

20180624_102836.thumb.jpg.0c98b07eb45ac22d71e0c18537bc40c4.jpg

• Like 1

Ten Years Ago Today.

Fleet Dyke before they ripped out the headings. I am sorry but I still think that it was an act of vandalism in the name of What? Conservation perhaps! What benefit was derived? 

Those were some of the best semi-wild moorings available and much needed at the moment.

20200624_130336.thumb.jpg.e41db13395828a8417a2183c3ac56bb4.jpg

The wild moorings are still there - if you want to take your brush cutter!!! 

As you probably well know it was nothing to do with vandalism but when the EA moved the flood banks further back, the old quay headings, part of the flood defences and holding up the old flood banks,  became redundant, and the EA would no longer maintain them as they did. The BA  then had the option of taking over the maintenance of  old quay heading throughout Broadland and passing the cost onto the toll payer - instead it was removed and generally I think it has been successful despite many complaints at the time. The maintenance of quay heading is the responsibility of the landowner don't forget, and the BA have to lease even the 24 hr moorings - and that has become more expensive unsurprisingly

Wild moorings have gradually returned and will continue to do so but the bigger issue remains the obtrusive "No Moorings" signs which landowners insist on putting up on their land!!!!

The Festival of Sail could easily be tacked onto the Ludham Gardens Open Day a biennial event at Womack - but like all things they have to be organised and the organisers get fewer as the demand rises!!!!!

1 minute ago, marshman said:

As you probably well know it was nothing to do with vandalism but when the EA moved the flood banks further back, the old quay headings, part of the flood defences and holding up the old flood banks,  became redundant, and the EA would no longer maintain them as they did. The BA  then had the option of taking over the maintenance of  old quay heading throughout Broadland and passing the cost onto the toll payer - instead it was removed and generally I think it has been successful despite many complaints at the time.

Wild moorings have gradually returned and will continue to do so but the bigger issue remains the obtrusive "No Moorings" signs which landowners insist on putting up on their land!!!!

The Festival of Sail could easily be tacked onto the Ludham Gardens Open Day a biennial event at Womack - but like all things they have to be organised and the organisers get fewer as the demand rises!!!!!

Not in the conventional sense, maybe but vandalis none the less !  There were other options , alder pole quay headings are rustic and long lived, but then conservation.....

18 minutes ago, marshman said:

As you probably well know it was nothing to do with vandalism but when the EA moved the flood banks further back, the old quay headings, part of the flood defences and holding up the old flood banks,  became redundant, and the EA would no longer maintain them as they did. The BA  then had the option of taking over the maintenance of  old quay heading throughout Broadland and passing the cost onto the toll payer - instead it was removed and generally I think it has been successful despite many complaints at the time. The maintenance of quay heading is the responsibility of the landowner don't forget, and the BA have to lease even the 24 hr moorings - and that has become more expensive unsurprisingly

MM, you will go on about Landowners. As the riperian owners of the river bank they have every right to say "No Mooring" just as much as riverside domestic properties do. In the old days many marinas along the South Coast followed the Meds example and gave you your first night free but all that is long gone. As long as there is property ownership it will be so.

I am unclear where conservation comes in - as far as I was aware conservation was greatly enhanced by the creation of the soke dykes when they built the new banks.

Alder poles would still be the responsibility of the landowner, not the BA. As Chris rightly points out, they own the bank!

1 hour ago, marshman said:

I am unclear where conservation comes in - as far as I was aware conservation was greatly enhanced by the creation of the soke dykes when they built the new banks.

Alder poles would still be the responsibility of the landowner, not the BA. As Chris rightly points out, they own the bank!

Which, it is alleged is why the scheme was chosen over others.

1 minute ago, MauriceMynah said:

I honestly don't know what the law is on this. If a boater is on a wild mooring and has an accident, can the land owner be sued?

If the land owner didn't give permission.....